HybridZ

s30 flush fit windows.. Interested?

As much time as many of us spend trying to modernize our cars, the window trim often gets overlooked. Blacking it out helps some, but the large trim around the windows is a huge stitch in the body lines of the s30. Flush fit windows are one of the small details that make a new car look sleek and modern.

5_chevy_camaro_rs_rear_ssi.jpg

000_0005_02.jpg

The bottom image is of a kit made by Classic Auto Glass Innovations who in an email said:

"I am open to other models of cars, and have offered new glass lines to people that want them, if they are willing to invest in that particular line and market them.. So, if you want to generate a buzz to see who would be interested, along with interest potential, I would consider looking at this further.."

What is the point of this thread if there is no ideas on price and actual availability other than to debate modded vs. un-modded this whole site is dedicated to modding. Classic z car is the forum for un-modded kinda an apples and oranges topic that will loose on this thread.

This would involve a little more than just changing the type/size of glass that's fitted to the car. The flush fit glass on modern cars takes into account the drainage around the windows and the interior trim. On an S30, the seal fits on the glass and on both sides of the glass frame. no only sealing, but trimming both sides. a flush fit windshield would still have a lot of ugly behind it, and would likely leak due to the lack of planned drainage. You'd need to redo your interior trim to cover the ugly inside.

This is not to say it can't be done. I'd love to see it, but it's not going to be without it's trials. How good are you at Photoshop? might help to visualize it n see what it looks like before taking the time & work to get it going.

I would love to see this happen and the sides too but as others have mentioned even just the front and rear windshields would take alot trials to make sure they don't leak. The interior wouldn't take much to fix the looks. For the side windows forget about it but I would love to see someone do it!

I've been thinking a lot more about this. The windshild would be a lot more difficult, but the hatch might be doable. Assuming you could find glass for it. There would still be some ugly factor on the inside. But to do the hatch, you would need to cut in and recess the hatch straight accoss by about 1/4 inch. once that section has been recessed, you'd probably want to box in the area with sheet metal behind the glass so that the glass would have an area to stick to. Most of these windows have some clips or retainer edge at the leading edge to keep the wind from grabbing it. (see the Z32 hatch) After removing that much metal, I'm not certain how rigid the hatch would be. The Base of the glass would need to be sealed similar to stock to keep leaks out. Maybe not with an H gasket, but some type of seal (again see Z32.)

I was thinking to help hide the ugly inside that regular door batting rope could be used, or the original ridge the H gasket normally would be on, could be cut off ground down flush. Either would work. You'd need to be certain you could get the glass before any of it.

I've been thinking a lot more about this. The windshild would be a lot more difficult, but the hatch might be doable. Assuming you could find glass for it. There would still be some ugly factor on the inside. But to do the hatch, you would need to cut in and recess the hatch straight accoss by about 1/4 inch. once that section has been recessed, you'd probably want to box in the area with sheet metal behind the glass so that the glass would have an area to stick to. Most of these windows have some clips or retainer edge at the leading edge to keep the wind from grabbing it. (see the Z32 hatch) After removing that much metal, I'm not certain how rigid the hatch would be. The Base of the glass would need to be sealed similar to stock to keep leaks out. Maybe not with an H gasket, but some type of seal (again see Z32.)

I was thinking to help hide the ugly inside that regular door batting rope could be used, or the original ridge the H gasket normally would be on, could be cut off ground down flush. Either would work. You'd need to be certain you could get the glass before any of it.

Or just black silicone caulking....

MidnightRider, perhaps you could direct Classic Auto Glass Innovations to this thread and they could share what they've done in the past to make their product work?

Also, if anybody has a decent shot of the windshield and hatch area without glass it might be worth posting so they have a better idea of what they have to work with. Seems to me they might have already addressed similar issues before.

Hopefully I can get a 2+2 hatch version...

Careful, s30 2+2 hatch is quite different in shape and mounting at the hinges. Pretty sure the glass is different as well, the fiche says different part numbers.

90301 N3700 2+2 90301 N3300 Coupe

Careful, s30 2+2 hatch is quite different in shape and mounting at the hinges. Pretty sure the glass is different as well, the fiche says different part numbers.

90301 N3700 2+2 90301 N3300 Coupe

Good to know. I've always assumed they were the same. They looked like they were the same size.

I think this idea is up there with the idea of chopping a S30. Can it be done? Sure. But at what time and expense. Odds are most people will end up not having the time and energy to "do it right" and end up with a half-ass job that not only looks bad, but functions severely worse than stock.

This IS hybridZ, so I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying have a realistic plan and mindset about it. Someone can't make a "drop in" flush fit window that truly works. As mentioned, you need to completely redesign the seal and thus interior side as well. This will never be an over the counter job to do right, and the camaro on that site doesn't show me otherwise, and honestly doesn't look that exciting to me.

My $0.02. I do this at work frequently on other types of cars. If you are not having cu$tom glass made and are doing body work anyway, all that is needed is to reshape the window opening, creating an adequate lip to mount he glass to and making the outside opening have whatever gap size you think looks good. Sealing has never a problem that I have seen since the glass is bedded in windshield urethane which is a far better seal than the stock style seals on older cars. You could do a nice job on an S30 window frame with a shrinker/stretcher and a welding machine in less than a days work and about $25 in metal and consumables. A tube of windshield urethane is around $11. The viewable opening may end up slightly smaller than stock on these cars, but I have not measured or even looked at the seal on mine.

Personally, I think the old style window trim looks pretty cool on the s30 body but I can understand why some people might like this concept.