HybridZ

How to check an ignitor

stony

Is there a procedure for this. I swapped over to a Z32 ignitor and now the car wont start. also changed EMS and Engine harness. IM 99.9% sure the harness is good (new) and the AEM EMS is communicating with my laptop. the only questionable thing is a used Z32 PTU. i would like to test to know for sure its bad before buying another to find out it still wont start.

I downloaded the FSM for the z32 and but could not find a procedure. both over 800 pages so i may have missed it.

Is there a procedure for this. I swapped over to a Z32 ignitor and now the car wont start. also changed EMS and Engine harness. IM 99.9% sure the harness is good (new) and the AEM EMS is communicating with my laptop. the only questionable thing is a used Z32 PTU. i would like to test to know for sure its bad before buying another to find out it still wont start.

I downloaded the FSM for the z32 and but could not find a procedure. both over 800 pages so i may have missed it.

This might help...

Looks like it's from an automotive class.

If it's COP, you might need to pull out the coils.

Looks like diode testing. Put your meter in diode mode ->| and test as shown, positive on g, negative on a = no continuity, negative on g, pos. on a = continuity. My meter beeps for continuity and shows a value in volts (I don't really know what the value means though). Go down the rows g/a, g/b etc., then g/1, g/2... Looks like 36 tests. One bad value and you're N.G.

I'm no electronics guy but I was just messing with some alternator diodes earlier today and had to figure out the +/- continuity thing for testing.

Thanks.

I did a modified test from the video. Basically hooked up a HEI spark tester, turned off the fuel system and turned the cas with ignition on. all injectors are firing just no spark. I'm assuming its the ignitor. any other suggestions on what to check.

Well the Z32 igniter I have has an unknown background. So not really sure just guessing since i wasnt getting any spark. If i remember correctly there are 3 wires to each coil. ground, power and 5v signal? i will check them today when i get home.

I will check when i get home. I loaded the rb26 map that supposedly was on a running car so everything should be on that is required for the car to run. You could save me some time by showing me a screenshot of what your talking about. Remember your talking to a AEM newbie ;>

Nevermind it is on. Just reread the instructions because the start sync thing sounded familiar. Start sync cycles on as you crank the motor and it does that. I also have voltage at the coils. SO i guess i'm dead in the water till my igniter gets here. I guess i could rewire for the rb igniter and try the semi good one i have just to be sure it starts???

So now i have spark verified by the HEI spark tester and my freakin arm!!!!! BUT seems like my timing is way off. all i'm getting is sneezes and huffs thru the intake.

I haven't really gone thru with a fine tooth come on how to set timing but does anyone have any experience with determining where in the ignition sequence the car is with the AEM series 2? i should be able to tell somewhere in the tuning program where the timing is at with the engine at TDC?

Any Advice is welcome. keep in mind beyond setting gaps and just checking timing im pretty inexperienced in this type of stuff.

Edited by stony

Is the car running?

If not...

This is a complete hip shot so take it with a grain of salt but wouldn't you look at the ignition map at like 500 rpm (close to cranking speed) that would be where your ignition is fired. Is the little key on the exhaust cam still intact? Go to the setup wizard and select the nissan 6 cylinder cam sensor. Compression test? You know how to set the igntion with just twisting the cam right.

If it is running you need to sync the time to what it is actually reading via a timing light.

Not running but it did run just prior to pulling out the old harness a few months ago.

Just replaced the cam gear key. But now i'm wondering if i installed it backwardssad.gif. i will have to check that tomorrow. My guess at this point is, that's what i did considering all i'm getting is backfiring thru the intake.