HybridZ

So I need a daily driver... Thinking about a BRZ

Mikelly

I should add that I was trying to keep track times in mind and remember watching a motor trend video a while back where I thought a new 5.0 gt ran a faster lap time than the BMW m3. I was wrong...turns out it was the boss 302, which is over the $30k limit.

On the upside, you could modify a GT to reach near Boss track times for not a whole lot of money. I'm sure a HUGE difference is just in the tires, while the weight savings, tad more power, suspension, and aero make up the rest little bit by little bit.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent about 30 minutes driving this car on PERFECT zero traffic rural roads today where i was able to test the suspension, brakes and transmittion a fair mount.  I'm sure I woke the neighbors by running in 3rd-5th gear at near redline, but I'm happy to report that this car is very capable, very stable at speed, and did nothing surprising.  I can't wait to get this car on a racetrack near me.

Mike

Glad to see you're happy with the 5.0, they're very capable engines even in stock form. Another buddy of mine has a 2012 with the Ford Racing (may be roush) supercharger, pushing over 600rwhp on stock internals.

From all the different exhaust setups I've heard in person, so far I've seen the best results from gt500 mufflers and deleting the resonators. These came stock on other mustangs than just the gt500, so you can usually find them with low mileage on craigslist for $150-$250 when people go a different exhaust route. I think they're just over $300 brand new.

Hey Mike, I know this is a personal question and as such you're 100% allowed to just say "I'm not telling you" and that's a-o-kay.

But IF you don't mind, what's your insurance coverage on it, and what's it running you? I know these figures vary GREATLY by state and of course your own history, but I'm just curious what that car costs someone in your position to insure.

Mike, since you have driven light cars and heavy cars, and some very powerful moderate-weight cars, how does the Mustang feel in terms of general nimbleness and tossability?  I'm referring to Miata-type of low speed agility rather than roadholding or lateral g's. 

Gollum, that was a shocker of the negative kind. It cost me $580 per year for the GT3, and $720 per year for the 8 year newer Mustang GT.

Michael, it is no Miata, but also feels a lot more like my 996TT. I am very impressed with transition between corners. It doesn't feel like $3600 pounds at all. The running gear in this car is truly mechanical magic.

Mike

The plan as of now is to improve the handling of the car by changing the springs/shocks/swaybars and adding strut tower to the package.  I'll then upgrade the brakes to Brembos.  After that I'll look at upgrading the cooling system and the oil cooling.  Once those are done and the car is sorted, I'll think about more power.  I'm told that upgraded intake and exhaust bits, and some software tuning can net 440 WHEEL Hp.  To have 500BHP for such little investment, in such a nice package, I'd be very happy.

Mike

Given it is heavy, powerful and handles well, how would you stack it up against a Z32 twin turbo? Ok, the 300zx was a high end sports car not a cheapish pony car, but the years mean design and suspension have changed so cheap cars these days can beat expensive cars from decades ago.

That is an unfair comparison.  The Mustang would be better suited for a comparison against say a 370Z touring package car.  I think the handling nudge goes to the 370Z but the Mustang has more power (They're consistantly dynoing them in the 430BHP+ range), and the weight is very close between them.  I draw that comparison because the 370Z Nismo was in my sites but I couldn't touch one used below $30K.  And the touring package car didn't impress me nearly as much as the Mustang did or I would have bought it.

The Z32 was such an older platform and technology on unibody cars has advanced quite a bit.  I am surprised the Mustang is a live axle car.  Unless you go over train tracks or hit a manhole cover, you simply don't feel it at all.  All I can say is drive one.  Bone stock they will surprise many.  

Mike 

Edited by Mikelly

I have wondered how a car like this would respond to some very premium shocks like penske's in an effort to make the suspension soak up bumps while keeping the car level .I am over having a car that rides like a skate board.Being able to tweek the rebound and compression dampening knobs and slam on a set of tires for a track day would make life easy.Sway bars  seem to be a band aid for a poorly designed car.

Randy, I'm doing a ton of reading on this very subject.  Apparently underhood heat extraction is a real problem for serious tracking, as is the blocked grill.  I want to tame the body roll and get the suspension drop to a mild but attractive stance, and not kill the daily driver status.  So we'll see.  I don't know that I want to dump $3-5K on shocks, so that idea of yours won't be in the cards for my build of this one...

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

So, two weeks in, and I'm truly impressed with this thing.

CoyoteMotor_zps38157da4.jpg

If you get the chance to drive a manual/6speed version, do it.  The car doesn't "feel" big at all.  Let my buddy drive it yesterday evening and he broke traction grabbing 4th, and it's still bone stock. 

Couple of "planned" upgrades include the addition of GT500 upper strut mounts, longer camber bolts, and a complete American Muscle Eiback Pro+ suspension kit upgrade.  I'll also buy some summer only tires to install on those Silver 5 star TSW Thruxstons that used to be on my Zcar.   They bolt right up and are the perfect backspacing/offset.  They're 9.5 inches wide too, which will help the traction/cornering.  Kinda glad nobody bought them when I was trying to sell them.

Mike

Reminding everyone that the Target Niche for the 350Z was the premium Mustang Segment, a way to break into the mass production numbers like Ford Has...

Apparently Mike agrees they are close if the 370's linea be and breeding bear out that original intent!

Tony, they're getting there, but they have a gap to close. Better suspension but power deficit of 80-100HP is pretty tough to overcome, especially with the improvements made by the Ford camp.

If any of you guys close to me want to test drive mine, you're more than welcome. Wish we had someone close by that could let us do some back to back test drives on a 370Z touring model and this platform before I do the suspension swap on this car.

Mike

I hear rumbling through the motor press that Ford may be looking at releasing the new mustang outside the NorAm continent... I would love to see RHD mustangs in NZ, or even Japan or the UK since we get used imports from both places :D

Yo guys. I'm looking for some opinions about a daily driver like Mikelly was before he bought his Stang. I pretty much have the same limitations too (MT, RWD [but will consider AWD], fun to drive,....etc). only difference (big difference) is I have a $15k limit. Need to keep payments down around $300 a month.

So far I've been looking at 02ish M3's and FD3S's. Now my plan is to use this car to daily drive my 45 mile round trip commute as well as take it out and start learning to autocross and maybe even a track day (if i get confident enough).

Let me know what you guys think! 

(side note: didnt know if i should have started a new thread or hijack this one, sorry).

Daniel