HybridZ

Importance of manifold heat shield?

J Taylor

I just pulled my intake off my L28T to change the exhaust manifold gasket and the heat shield makes it a major pain to do. Is it really important to have it? Looks like it can't really do a whole lot as far as shielding the heat. Would make life a whole lot easier to not have it there. If it is important, is there anything else I can do to replace it such as maybe jet hot the exhaust manifold or wrap the intake runners or something? BTW, the intake manifold(n42 if it matters) is already Jet hot coated in case it makes any difference.

Thanks,

JT

I will take a punt here and say that anything that you can do to lower the intake temp. is a good thing. Do a search on the 280 zx that paul newman raced, there was an artical on it in road and track about 20 years ago. they separated all the intake, cooling, and exhuast. basically(?) you shpould do every thing you can to make the intake cool. I wonder if that is why cross flow head work better sometimes.

Douglas

Hi JT - IMO I would keep it, hassle that it is - some serious heat comes off that exhaust, and any reduction of heat in the intake will help in engine reliablity.

How does that N42 work out for you? I have one I'm thinking of putting on my L28ET, but I hear conflicting information on the ID of the runners? Are they the same as the turbo manifold, or do you have to port it out? (Obviously I have not taken off the intake to measure it myself yet).

Guest Tom Scala

I kept the shield on my N47 intake and wrapped the ex manifold with thermotec mainly because the turbo was so close to the manifold. When the engine is running you can touch the thermotec & not get burned.

I know most of the people that posted a response are running turbo(which has higher ambient underhood temps), but I'll jump in here.

When I got my header, intake and fuel rail ceramic coated(http://www.geocities.com/spotfitz/intake_header1.jpg) I thought I wouldn't need a heat shield anymore. After afew drive thru delays or a long red light and some serious sputtering leaving the place each time I realized it was heat soak of the SU's. I made a heat shield(http://www.geocities.com/spotfitz/heatshield.jpg) out of aluminum sheet(3/32"), ehich was bigger then original and polished both sides and mounted it in the original location. Unfortunately, I failed to clear coat or ceramic coat the heat shield, so it doesn't look as good now, but it's still functional! I won't say heat problems are a thing of the past, but I can grab the bottom of my SU's after a hard run and it's not hot at all. The domes are even cold. This wasn't the case before the heat shield.

BTW, you'll probably have to copy and paste the links, thanks to yahoo being such an @$$ icon_mad.gif

• 1 year later...

I did not have a heat shield on my engine for 5 plus years. Don't know if it hurt me much or not.

It is on the car now, but next time I am getting something ceramic coated or something. I also have a heat shield for the compressor housing, and it is most definitely in the way. :lol:

I got some header wrap and one of these days, I am going to get motivated and use it.

I wraped a stock manifold one time and it's just gets to hot. Each time I would look at it after a driving around town (normal driving) it would be red hot. I think the cast manifold just hold to much heat on thier own to use it on them. I think the instuctions on the box say not to use header wrap on a cast maniold.

I am working with the same thing now.....

I am keeping the shield (N42 intake) and having it ceramic coated....

anything to keep the heat at bay... I'm sure header wrap would work well also....

Header wrap, especially on a turbo manifold, will cause the heat to remain in the headers and they will deteriorate from the inside rapidly. Maybe I'm just parroting what I've been told, but I've heard it from multiple sources. The wrap is marginally useful in racing to maintain exhaust velocity, but it is not good for the street. A heat shield will keep the heat from the intake and brake cylinders, and will not hurt your exhaust header or manifold.

Man - talk abut old thread resurrection!