HybridZ

L28 Build Questions

So I'm getting around to actually building an L28 for my 240z and I have a dilemma. I have access to any engine parts possible, from an E31 to a P90A and all block combinations. I dont want to make a race engine with streetibility. I would like to stay with the square ports exhaust and compression from 9.0:1 to 9.5:1. I would also like to keep machining and extra work to a minimum. So if you wouldn't mind telling me what combination you use and what mods are necessary, I also want to run SU's

Thank you, If you have any more questions let me know.

You say you have access to everything, but want to use square ports and carbs. That in itself is limiting. From this there are two roads you can go that will get you around that compression.

N42 block (dished pistons) with a slightly shaved N42 head (small enough shave to not need shims) or

F54 with flaptops and a shaved p90.

Personally I'd go with a p90 since it has a better chamber design. I'd go off this website: http://datsunzgarage.com/p90/

I like the sound of the E31 its just that I am looking for something along the lines of simple yet sporty.  I am concerned about doing any cutting into the wiring due to all of the hard-wires a previous owner did and the bad quality of the harness overall, so I would like to stick to SU's with the option of Weber's.  I'm leaning towards the F54 Flattops and a P90 because it has decent CR and a freeflowing design.  I would like to know the possible ways to boost CR on the P90 F54 setup, and possibly how  much I can sell my E31 for?

Edit: I did however just see an interesting concept about creating a "poser-stroker" engine that yields roughly a 3.0L engine without and LD28 crank, the one thing I cannot get my hands on and one thing I would probably not even buy if I could.  It envolves the KA24E Flat-top pistons on an l28 overbored 3mm, l24 connecting rods and the l28 crank; all with an E31 head.  It sounds very interesting and I would like to give it a try, anybody done this?

Edited by Sanchez

E31, if its a solid base and has not been messed with and is uncracked, no broken studs etc, should go for $150 easy, and that is a low price. I know a store that is holding onto about 3 of them, and asking $300 a head. They know the price will just go up on them. 

As for upping the CR did you even open the link? You can get away with a certain amount before you need to use shims, but you would need to know the total head height to make sure you don't take too much off. 

Not sure why you'd like to keep square exhaust port but I've asked the same question to Braap and we end up with the combo I've got in my Z:

F54 / flat top & P79 that could be switched with P90 if you really want square ports.

What has been done however was a street porting (ie. improving flow without making the port bigger), valve unshrouding, etc.

Install a properly designed cam (Rebello street cam with tight lash) that match the rest of the engine with surrounding components such as springs & retainers, lash pads.

head has been milled by 0.020" to bring compression around 9.5, towers had to be shimmed in the process, pistons have been milled also to make sure quench clearance was spot on.

In the process we also revised oil system with bigger restrictor in block (ID = 3mm), turbo oil pump, internally oiled cam + spray bar.

Edited by Lazeum

Well I heard that the square exhaust flows better cause it doesn't have emissions stuff on it... plus I can set it up to get the compression I want, 9.5:1 and a 2949cc displacement... and a valve job will solve the flow issues

Stock for stock, there is no difference in a round port or a square port head. None. Nada. Nothing.

As for the rest of your questions, it's your choice. All the build threads and information you could ask for are in the archives of this website.