HybridZ

Downsides to a roadster?

badjuju

I'm considering picking up a 240z roadster for the body, the guy wants $1200.

It's got a running L24 in it (supposedly rebuilt, meh), and "three carbs" (not going to ask him what kind of carbs in case it puts him on the Mikuni scent)

Before I commit to buying a car with no roof forever and ever, can anyone give me insight as to the potential downsides (other than storage and walking away from a car with no roof when I park it)?

Thanks!

Alec

Edited by badjuju

• Administrators

I assume you're talking about a an S30 that's had it's roof removed, as opposed to a Datsun Roadster? If so, my first and largest concern would be structural integrity.

I would be really concerned with the structural mods that were performed to compensate for the removal of the roof.  As a minimumum, this thing needs a roll bar that ties into the strut towers, the rocker panels, and has a diagonal door bar to the foot box area.  Also, no rust is allowed in the floors or rocker panels since these areas are all that are hold the car together.

Just my opinion, but what do I know. 

Worst case scenario, its a hunk of crap and you've got a parts car that possibly has Webers or Mikunis. If he's asking $1200, just hammer him down a bit and take it. 

Best case scenario, you end up with a unique 240Z and put in some money to make it a little more rigid.

If it were me, I'd go for it. 

You guys are ******* awesome.

Yeah, I'm going for it.  Definite roll bar, and I'll take the door advice as well, lol

I'm gonna trust none of my seattle friends are going to snipe this from me (I'll crash into you)

Here's the link: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/3808942345.html

Selling my FN Five seveN.  *sniffle*

I think it'll be worth it.  I can buy another one off a shelf someday.  This car looks just friggin sweet.

Not looking forward to doing the frame rail project again, but I know how to do it.  I don't know how to do pretty body work.

Yep, that car has had little to no reinforcement done...

"needs rear end gears/subframe connectors/...."

Sounds like he did all the prettying up and skimped on the reinforcements.

Motherfucker! Someone got there a half hour before me and offered him $2500.  I said I'd match it (just going to part it out and use the body), and he sold it to the other guy.

I ******* hate flakes, dude told me I had first dibbs!

I want to build a convertible now.  Search button here I come.  ****!

• 3 months later...

Motherfucker! Someone got there a half hour before me and offered him $2500.  I said I'd match it (just going to part it out and use the body), and he sold it to the other guy.

Reminds me of the time I found a beautiful 1957 VW Bug that had been lowered with a narrowed beam with moon rims and white walls, patina and a roof rack and it was awesome. He had it up for $3500 for a month, then one day put in the add "FIRST 1500 GETS IT". I called him, made a deal, then someone dropped by when I called to say I was on the way. I said look, I'll give you $1800 if you hold it for me. he said sorry, and ended up taking $1200. What kinda sense is that? I about started snapping necks after that one

John Washington from Reaction Research  http://www.reactionresearch.com/automotive.html  has been making and selling the VeloRosa (Ferrari GTO spyder) kit for the Datsun Z car for years.  Give John a call.  Not only is he a great guy but he knows a great deal about convertible Z cars.  I believe he sells a reinforcing kit that fits entirely within the cockpit and does not require a roll bar.  

post-13-0-02187300-1377563501_thumb.jpg

I just seen this post and offer an apology, as I am the sniper that got r done. I had a friend that had an itch, and wanted a Z convertible.

IF this helps, the chop top was FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFRIED. Car stripped for parts, sorry bro ;-(