HybridZ

S30 safety

Tell me about it.  Almost everyone Ive known throughout my life feels the need to set their side mirrors up so they can see "down the side of the car".  You shouldnt/dont need to see -any- of your car in your side mirror.  If you can see your car at all from your natural sitting position in your side mirrors, youre missing out on visibility.  Side mirrors should be set up so that by the time a car is disappearing out of your side mirror, you can already see them with your peripheral vision. 

Have you noticed that car manufacturers seem to make their mirrors so that setting them the proper way is sometimes at the limit? My 01 Pathfinder, with me behind the wheel, would have them set right at the motor limit. Then they would look all angled wonk in the housing. My '12 Focus has 'blind spot mirrors' that the owner's manual even states is to 'eliminate blind spots in your rear quarters'...

I set the mirrors correctly in it and I have my entire rear 180 covered by mirrors or peripheral. But, I still use the so-called blindspot mirrors to look two lanes over for cars merging into the same lane as me.

Have you noticed that car manufacturers seem to make their mirrors so that setting them the proper way is sometimes at the limit? My 01 Pathfinder, with me behind the wheel, would have them set right at the motor limit. Then they would look all angled wonk in the housing. My '12 Focus has 'blind spot mirrors' that the owner's manual even states is to 'eliminate blind spots in your rear quarters'...

I set the mirrors correctly in it and I have my entire rear 180 covered by mirrors or peripheral. But, I still use the so-called blindspot mirrors to look two lanes over for cars merging into the same lane as me.

Indeed I have.  And Id be willing to bet your relatively tall (6 foot'ish or taller) and set the seat back pretty far.  Not as much of an issue when youre sitting half way forward, but when youre all the way back, adjusting the mirrors all the way out is about all you can do at times.

Mirrors? Eff that

Shoulder check, that's the only way to know. 

I've never found a mirror or combination of mirrors that I was comfortable with that I felt I didn't need to also shoulder check when changing lanes.

Might I make a suggestion?  Next time youre on the highway play with your mirrors- Adjust them out until the people passing you visible in your peripheral vision by the time (preferably before!) theyre leaving your mirrors.  IF you can obtain this-  You should literally have no blind spots.  Test this in parking lots and youll see even small things like motorcycle riders arent able to "hide" anywhere dangerous out of your vision in relation to your car.

Im iffy with shoulder checks in traffic.  I dislike turning my face away from the traffic in front of me (If theres no traffic it doesnt bother me as much if at all i admit, however)

But then again I know old habbits die hard haha

Might I make a suggestion?  Next time youre on the highway play with your mirrors- Adjust them out until the people passing you visible in your peripheral vision by the time (preferably before!) theyre leaving your mirrors.  IF you can obtain this-  You should literally have no blind spots.  Test this in parking lots and youll see even small things like motorcycle riders arent able to "hide" anywhere dangerous out of your vision in relation to your car.

Im iffy with shoulder checks in traffic.  I dislike turning my face away from the traffic in front of me (If theres no traffic it doesnt bother me as much if at all i admit, however)

But then again I know old habbits die hard haha

Might I make a suggestion too?

Don't assume you know how someone has their mirrors set or how they use them.

Even if I had 360* vision around my car without looking backwards, I would still shoulder check. I've had mirrors lie to me about where another vehicle is relative to my position. It looked like they were not as close as they were. I also have quite the trucker neck when it comes to my mirrors, so I generally know where everyone is around me, without the shoulder check, but always do anyway.

Edited by Six_Shooter

The fender mirrors, when properly placed, are really superior to the door mirrors as far as blind spots go. I wish I had a set when I was painting my car; I'd have welded up the door mirror holes and gone with the fender mirrors. Both the Z and the 510 I've sat in with the fender mirrors, even with zero adjustment to fit me versus the much smaller guy in the dime and the woman in the Z, had ZERO areas that I could not see in the mirror.

Might I make a suggestion too?

By all means please do :)

Don't assume you know how someone has their mirrors set or how they use them.

My my my, My apologies- Consider that tidbit noted Chief!

Now, might I make one more suggestion while were on the topic of making suggestions? Chillax Tex and holster them pistols.  I wasnt being condescending to you in the slightest.  There was no disrespect given- or implied.   I only meant to present some friendly advice that I thought might be warranted based on your declaration of a lacking confidence in using your side mirrors- Theres zero need to be getting snippy.

Edited by Sideways

The shoulder check is necessary to see cars two lanes out that might be coming toward the lane next to you. It seems less so now that I have the Ford 'blind-spot' mirrors, but I still do it as well. Especially when coming up to non-parallel roads, merges, or curves with small enough radii.

Rush songs notwithstanding, the Z isn't that bad in accidents.

I got rear ended by a woman in a Firebird who never even saw me in my 72. She pushed me into oncoming traffic where I hit an Acura Legend head on. The rear end hit was probably 50 mph. The legend was on a 35 mph road, so figure maybe a 50 or 60 mph combined hit to the front. The rear end was pushed in about a foot, the front was mashed up to the core support then the frame rails were tweaked off to one side a couple inches. I broke my nose on the steering wheel, my wife smacked her head on the dash.

Mike Kelly was rear-ended by a trash truck at speed in his Z IIRC and survived.

They can take a hit. If you want to improve the side impact performance, I'd put a rollbar in. A friend of mine was T boned in the driver door of his 510 by a Ranger 4x4 pickup and walked away - the side of the car was crushed up to the roll bar.

Ours wasn't that bad hitting the back of a Neon at 70... Then again a Neon isn't a concrete wall.

Regarding this photo, though, I am sad to say "Been There, Wrecked That"!

An immovable concrete curb 18" high isn't low enough to "ramp" you over a 48" tall solid concrete wall by a damsite.

Add to that damage, tearing the front K-Member free. It wasn't pretty, and was the last time I swerved for small animals!

Not wearing your seat belt, the Z has had a collapsible steering column in ALL markets since day ONE!

Absolutely NO steering wheel kissage during my excursion. And not in the white car I posted, either (35-50mph frontal offset crash, in fact!) his hands did slip off the wheel and punch his gauge cluster out, breaking some metacarpals... But nothing like if it was a 66 Vair!

Or 66 anything, for that matter! 67 FMVSS mandated the collapsible steering column!

I hit the wheel because I (stupidly) disconnected the shoulder harness. I was turning into a Burger King and in the 72 with the seat positioned correctly and fixed belts, I could barely roll down the windows, so I used to pop the shoulder belt off so that I could lean forward a bit. I just jumped the gun taking it off before I got into the drive thru line.

My wife had her belt on and hit the dash. Not sure if hers was just loose or what, but she put a dent in the dash with her forehead.

Hitting the wheel and being impaled on it are VERY DIFFERENT things.

My example of the pre-67 vehicles is apt.

You could be strapped into the seat with a 7 point harness and shoulder straps, and most pre-67 columns will DISPLACE REARWARD INTO THE PASSENGER's COMPARTMENT!

The 67 FMVSS mandated this not occur, and manufacturers responded with "telescopic" lower sections instead of a hardened steel shaft six feel long...

Earlier vehicles would break the die cast steering surround free from the dashboard and "reach out and touch someone"!

In our S30's case, I have seen cars where people were cut out of the car, and the DASH displaced rearward, with the steering column still attached, and he wheel collapsed. In a pre-67 column, it would have broken out of the bearings, impaled the driver's ribcage, then acted like a rib spreader when it moved inward toward the center of the car as the structure deformed.

You see this a few times, and it kinda sticks in your head. When GM started the separate steering gear at Plant 1 & 2 in Saginaw, it was a great day for drivers.

There's a reason those two plants made M-1 Carbines during WW2: the ability to turn a 1" hardened steel rod 30" in length or longer!

• 3 weeks later...

Woke up in the middle of the nite again...

What prevents the hood from decapitating me in a full frontal?

I deleted the stock latch and used dual pins.

Have cage, but need something to limit front travel and force the hood to buckle in the middle?

Maybe stock safety latch going back on.