HybridZ

Cabon Fiber Datsun Z Dashes Now Available!!

rc's240z

Photo link below will show you our prototype. PDK Fabrication now offers Carbon Fiber Datsun Z Dashes. Weighing less than 3 lbs and set up to install aftermarket gauges. Please forward all inquires to PDK Fabrication: pdkracing@cox.net or Mark at 760-724-0144

Both Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass available.

http://www.240z.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1820

Please visit all of our photos.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gprix1

Gosh $650??!!!

I really like it, was planning to get one, and expecting to pay for it but $650?? OUCH

Sorry, that puts it in the "if I get a VERY

large chunk of unexpected cash some day" catagory. I mean, if I was a racer with a big budget... maybe. Then again I'd just make a simple dash then. I just don't see it.

I think something like $300-350 would be what people would be willing to pay. If it can't be made for around that, I think carbon fiber dashes just may not be a viable option for 99% of the folks out there.

If you find a way to manufacture it for less send me an email.

- Rick

Rick,

Just my opinion, but if you consider that the heavy factory dash is $800+ and prtofession recover of an existing dash is around the same price, I think this is a bargain. I plan to get the fiberglass dash, only because after I paint it (I don't want the plain CF look.....bit too ricey) the CF look will be lost.

Just my 2c.

Tim

Guest gprix1

Yes, but I think we can agree that this is more of a racing item with a non-working glove box, use with aftermarket gauges, and blanked out control panel. A restorer is going be more willing to pay the extra $$ for a perfect dash.

A racer is looking more at performace per $ and if it looks cool they might be willing to pay a little more (to a point).IMHO, unfortunately the numbers don't add up for a racing part. Like you, I will probably get the fiberglass too. Thing is, even if the carbon fiber one is a fair price, I know I will never buy it for that much. There is just too many other things that I would buy or upgrade on the car first.

It wouldn't be legal for ITS racing, and for any other class you pretty much are competing with a fabricated sheet of aluminum for $15. I'd consider the CF at it's price or the fiberglass at its price if they had a glovebox and provisions for all the stock stuff to go back in and were trimmed to final dimensions.

A commendable endeavor none the less.

Well what you guys fail to understand is WHY the price is the price. The materials to make one of these isn't that expensive, ONCE you have the mold done. However, the time it takes to MAKE the perfect mold, plus the materials used to get TO a perfect mold are what you are paying for!

If they don't get enough interest maybe they would adjust the price. However, As Les and I found out with the G-nose mold, it takes skills and Lots of practice to make something out of Glass... You guys are paying for their skills, and the time they took to make them... Congratulations and welcome to the world of Fabrication!

Good Job Ron C!

Mike :cool:cheers.gif

Well, my research is in composite materials and CF is about 2x that of a decent woven e-glass fiber. However, you can use about 1/2 as much CF to get the same strenght as a similar e-glass unit. With all things equal I do not understand the $350 difference in price between the CF and e-glass piece. I would be willing to pay $300-$350 for a CF part. When you mention that NSX and Viper guys pay $2K plus for CF stuff, that is just because those people probably wouldn't trust it if it were cheap in price. They like spending the money on fancy overpriced stuff. Hell, it is like paying $3000 for an HKS turbo or you can get the same Garrett Ballistic series turbo for $1500. Same thing, just no HKS logo!

You know, with all the work involved in creating a mold for production, as well as the initial cost (a mint stock dash), I think $650 is more than reasonable. I'm sure the price will drop as the setup costs get payed for. Its just not worth it to make a high quality mold for something like this, unless you are planning on making a high number of products. (ie: if someone decided to do a CF dash on their own, it'd cost them a fortune in money, but especially time)

Glad to see people like Ron doing stuff like this!

Oh yeah James, I don't doubt you, but can you please tell me where I can find woven CF mat for 2x the cost of woven e-glass mat? We're looking in the area of $50 yd^2 up here for CF mat. :eek: Woven e-glass being about $12 yd^2.

Also to consider, polyester vs. epoxy resin... There's quite a difference in cost there as well.

Drax,

Check out Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co.

1-877-4-SPRUCE

They have TONS of cool stuff in thier catalog (free by the way). Bidirectional Woven Carbon Graphite is about $25.75 to $39.70 for a lineal yard. E-Glass is cheap about $4.45 to $8.20 a yard. They also have Kevlar and S-Glass... they have all kinds of neat stuff that you can play with! Order thier catalog and spend a night looking at everything in it.

!M!