HybridZ

borg warner t-5 turbo trans

Guest bigjim240z

Guest bigjim240z

ok ive heard that i will need a different legnth drive shaft to put a 83 t-5 trans into my 240z?..is this true?..i dont think i do..but ive seen alot of post saying it needs to be done..thanks jim

With my 72' I had to shorten the drive shaft by 1.25 inches. I also noticed that I was not able to use some of the tricks that I had read about for mounting the T5 which leads me to believe that each car is different just enough that you will have put it in and measure for your car and go from there. BTW a compitent drive shaft shop can shorten the turbo drive shaft at the ends between the end flange and the taper on the shaft, if a shop tells you they can't do that find a different shop.

Dragonfly

Guest bigjim240z

thanks guys..it seems like the t-5 wont be going in my 240z...ill use my n/a 5 speed and sell the t-5..i was told that the n/a 5 speed has a better gear ratio so ill use it..whats a good workignt-5 worth these days?

The T5 does not have a better od than the ZX 5 speed which has .745 to the BW .78. I mean it is splitting hairs to me, but just the same.

I am fond of the ZX 5 speed because it has nicely spaced gear ratio's with the 3.06 first. I think I have one in my 260, but haven't crawled up under it to check yet.

The BW would be a nice way to go if you get an aftermarket shifter like the Hurst I just put in my turbo ZX. You are not ever going to have to worry about missing a gear with that arrangement, and the deep first gear is nice to get you moving. The second to third gear spacing is a little wide and the ZX tranny has a better spacing, but as long as you wind second out pretty tight when racing, no big deal.

I am running the T5 in my car andthe thing that has happened to me a number of time s it getting the thing into second @ 7000 rpm. The tranny just will not go into get at times and that is not to desirable to me. The problem is that at that high rpm, the syncro just cant get the gear spinning quick enough to make it go into gear. 6800 and no problem, but it is kinda hard to keep your eye on the tach when you are going at it.

hurst?? OMG that is the worst thing i have ever shifted!!! you should try the RIPPER or the PRO 5.0 shifters. but then again it is all personal preference smile.gif . although i did snap two shift rails with the hurst (even with the stops), but did not damage a tranny with the ripper. FWIW i just could not stand the way the hurst felt.

I already have the hurst shifter in the car. I am not running the redline oil yet. I wanted to do all that stuff at one time. I got the MTL for the tranny and the MT for the differential. So where can I get some info on the ripper shifter. I would be interested in checking that shifter out. I am getting ready to install a TKO II in my car. I have done the research on that tranny and it is more to suited to what I am doing with the car. The torque sure is where I need it to be, and I figure if the 5.0 guys are launching that unit with wrinkle wall slicks that is good enough for me.

I'm not sure how well the Mustang shift handle will fit relative to my position in the car. I did not buy a Ripper because they no longer have a replaceable handle. The Hurst still have the bolt on stick, as well as some others like BBK. The Hurst Billet and Competition plus are about the same price, but the Comp came with upper and lower boots and retainer. They were designed for the mustang console, but can be installed below the Z shift boot and keep you from having to buy something else. Mine is for the 83-85 mustang and you will NEVER regret that purchase. The stock T5rt shifter is a serious POS.