HybridZ

The life of a slammed 240Z - Ship in a bottle

NewZed

but I think he's bagged

He is.

But I still don't like it. The Z was designed from the ground up to be a sports car. To take away its handling ability defeats the purpose of the car entirely. Bags on a truck, or luxury car make way more sense than on something like a Z or S2000, IMO.

If it is bagged, the guy should show them working.  That would be something, a slammed Z that's actually usable.

Here's a "real" Z, with some drifty doughnuts in the video.  It's the other end of the utility spectrum.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpkr2co95VI

Edit - found the video of the first car moving up and down on air.  No actual rolling though.  Weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96em7WySA80

Edited by NewZed

Baggs are sick my buddy has his frs on baggs and he says it rides great and he drifts the piss out of it and he loves pulling up to a speedbump slammed as ****, its sick when right when you get to it raise it up, lol and then when you park you put the body on the floor.Oh and mix in a fast with a bagged car you get the total package if you ask me.

photo.jpg

This car, back when it was produced, was built for function and performance. I feel like putting a big ugly bodykit and slamming it to where you need to creep over eveylittle crack just hurts the cars performance personality, believe me its your car and yes it is very nice but.. its sad to see such a beautiful, well built, function classic like this be put on air bags and slmmed with big shiny rims. 

this is not a negative comment, just sharing my thoughts.

Â· 
1cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
photo.jpg

i understand, i look to swap my car later,and for the moment the air bag is not a problem with the stock engine automatic gear box performance... ;)

^from youtube comments

It's not my cup of tea, but nice to see the guy has a good attitude towards criticism.

From the the comments he modified a system for a 2004 bmw 525i

1173865_576796962364161_942387555_n.jpg

I made the original post just because it was funny to watch the guy drive around a flat parking lot at 5 mph.  But, really, it would be noteworthy if someone developed an on-the fly adjustable suspension system for the Z's that was actually usable.

It seems like one big problem with sticking an air balloon on top of a spring is matching rates.  The balloon might lift the car but if it's a low spring rate then it's like having a two stage spring.  You'd probably have to design a specific air bag to match the spring it's perched on to match the response of a single spring.

Maybe, with the fine thread pitch on the typical adjustable spring perches, someone could rig up a servo motor that would spin the adjustment to raise and lower a car.  You could even get more sophisticated and flip the strut like the Bilstein setups and put the mechanism inside the cabin on top of the strut tower, to keep it protected and to keep unsprung weight down.  Of course, it costs money and time to develop new products, but the interest level in "slamming" seems to make it worth thinking about, for a business person.

What about putting an airbag on each control arm, somehow external to the strut?  I personally don't mind the concept of "custom" Z-cars,  and I think the airbag z is awesome.  But call it what it is-a fun custom.  As I try to build and maintain a z that does everything well, I am finding that it is much easier to build cars for specific purposes, ie. custom, drag, autocross, road race and the hardest one: something my wife will ride in.  In order to have a car that jams thru corners, it would have to be a different car than one that lays the pans on the ground.  I'll take one of each!  Trailer queens that park over mirrors at shows are nothing new; they are-what they are.

An air bag is a spring with a rate of about 34lb. In. per psi., same as a tire. The issue is that air bagged suspensions rely heavily on bump stops (generally internal to the bag) when the air pessures are low.

Also, there are suspension geometry/alignment issues when you change the ride height more then 1" from where the alignment is set. Lowering a S30 to a rocker panel height less the 5" above the ground requires changing the suspension mounting points to retain proper alignment for handling and performance.

Without auto adjustable alignment a bagged S30 with a significant ride height adjustment range witll always handle like ass if the adjustment is made on the fly. Now, if you stop the car and crank on the adjusters for a few minutes, you can improve the handling beyond ass level. But I don't see the hellaflush crowd making that kind of effort.

The stance of the car is super sexy thats what ima do when I get my z, but I think he's bagged so he can play with the height when he see's speedbumps lol.

Baggs are sick my buddy has his frs on baggs and he says it rides great and he drifts the piss out of it and he loves pulling up to a speedbump slammed as ****, its sick when right when you get to it raise it up, lol and then when you park you put the body on the floor.Oh and mix in a fast with a bagged car you get the total package if you ask me.

Not sure if trolling  :icon53: