HybridZ

Rear Disc Conversion question.

Ok in the attached picture, this is the bracket I got in a deal with a Forum Member, and every other bracket I see is not a closed circle.

1) I see no way to get the axle into the hole..

2) Can I just cut the bottom two holes off to make it an open "U" shape to just slip right on the axle?

I have looked at multiple guides on how to do the swap, but my question is where do I actually bolt this bracket too? Anyone have some picture references I dont know about?

post-29239-0-06955200-1392837980_thumb.jpg

Ok in the attached picture, this is the bracket I got in a deal with a Forum Member, and every other bracket I see is not a closed circle.

1) I see no way to get the axle into the hole..

2) Can I just cut the bottom two holes off to make it an open "U" shape to just slip right on the axle?

I have looked at multiple guides on how to do the swap, but my question is where do I actually bolt this bracket too? Anyone have some picture references I dont know about?

You must remove the backing plate and press out the stub axle to leave the bracket intact. Many writeups here on how it's done. 

Edited by m1ghtymaxXx

1. Do not start this project until you understand what you are doing.

2. Read all of the threads on brake swaps in the FAQ and brake forums.

3. Your bracket is designed such that you will need to pull the stub axles which will be a problem for you if you have never done it before.  You will most likely screw up the stub axle if you do not know what you are doing. You should also change the wheel bearings while the stub axle is out. You will need to study how to remove and replace the stub axle and the bearings. BTW the stub axle was designed for drum brakes and runout in the stub axle flange can be a problem when switching to disk brakes. This job requires special tools.

4. The rear disk upgrade is not an upgrade unless you also take time to design and build a balanced brake system which includes the front brakes, master cylinder and booster.

5.  If you will take time and study all of the FAQ threads you will know that well maintained stock brakes are fine for daily driving and light track use.

6. It is obvious from your questions that you are not an experienced mechanic. Altering your brake system without knowledge of what you are doing could be dangerous to you and others.

7. Do not modify the bracket. Sell the brackets you bought and use the money to have a brake shop rebuild your 40 year old brake system with fresh parts.

8. There are probably over 50 threads on the above subjects.

Edited by Miles

hwvigo thanks for the video!

Miles, I have never done drum brakes on any car, I dont really see how that measures my mechanic skills. My Z32 is still running after 9 years and has had plenty of work done to it by me.(engine swap, 5 speed conversion, etc) Not trying to be rude, I appreciate your advice but not the statement of your thoughts on my "experience" I have never even had a car with drums, so yes Im being cautious. On a side note, my drums were seized and baked together, there was no free spin on them, and after several hours with a torch, hammer and pry-bar i finally got the covers off just to find they were in terrible shape. Now with the covers off and shoes off, everything free spins. So I felt the need to just go with a disc swap since I am familiar with discs which will make servicing a little easier for me.

I agree with miles.

In the area I do not agree with is measuring mechanical ability. Replace mechanic with engineer in this manner.

Do not alter the brackets.

I found this while searching for a tinker toy post from 07 that upgrades to rear disc.

Complete rear hub replacement to install better axles.

Keyword axles. Not u joints

• 4 weeks later...

Ok if you've done those mods to your car, you should be able to handle pulling your rear stub. Did mine in one day. It's not that difficult. Also I can't tell by your picture, but the brackets for the conversions where it slides on instead of having to pull your rear stub are quite thick, the one you hold in your hand looks rather thin. So no, don't modify them, you'll lose strength in the bracket. Either take the time to pull the stub, and change your wheel bearings while you're at it. Or like stated above, sell them and get others, I would recommend a full kit. It's not exactly wise to mix and match on your brakes. Not worth the risk