HybridZ

Rain gutter delete info

Questions about the rain gutter/deflector.

I have been thinking about removing the rain deflector. It is nice to have the windows open when it is raining, but the lack of fresh air actually hitting me in the face is kind of bothersome. I'm thinking if it deflects the rain that well the wind is also probably passing over it and missing the opening.

So a couple questions.

The most important one, does removing the rain deflector actually get more air into the cabin? I've measured the slope and curvature of other similar shaped cars and I never seem to lack air. In the datsun I can feel air hitting behind my head, but no real air movement even at highway speed.

It is a pinch weld of sorts correct? Removing the rain gutter with a cut off wheel or grinder will leave a gap that has to be addressed if I remember correctly. Is it better to fold and just weld the gap closed? Or is it better to cut out the rain gutter completely and try to put in an appropriate patch?

It is a pinch weld of sorts correct? Removing the rain gutter with a cut off wheel or grinder will leave a gap that has to be addressed if I remember correctly. Is it better to fold and just weld the gap closed? Or is it better to cut out the rain gutter completely and try to put in an appropriate patch?

Yup, the rain gutter is two pieces spot welded together. I think deleting the drip rail is sort of similar to cutting for flares. You cut off the spot welded lip holding the two together, and then you weld the two pieces back together. I think it was blueovalz that had a thread that detailed the process.

Personally, I think I would look at simpler solutions for getting more air in the cabin before cutting off the drip rails. Especially since you're in the PNW.

BTW, are you having trouble getting air in with both windows open or just one? In my Jetta, I get a lot more airflow if I open the driver's front and the pass. rear, than if I open, say, both driver's side windows, or just the driver's side front.

Edited by rturbo 930

I think this issue is with the design of the S30. I have always said if the S30 had vent windows, it would take care of any air flow issues.  My ZX had a lot more air coming into the cabin.

Just get one of the VW air coolers on that car man.

Im working on my driveshaft spacer Brian, it just came in the mail today.

Hmm I'll have to look it up, I know quite a few people have done it, just couldn't find a detailed thread using my google fu.

I have trouble getting air in with both windows down. When I'm driving I can put my hand behind my head and feel quite a bit of wind, so it feels like the wind is skipping over where my seat is and passing right next to the rear quarter window. 

I mean short of cutting and installing a roof scoop I'm not really sure what real alternatives there are. I could try to get the HVAC back in there, but given the intercooler pipes occupy the fresh air scoops it would just be sucking in engine bay temp air. 

The drip rails are nice, for sure, and having the windows open in the rain help get some of the heat out of the cabin from the exhaust, but it just gets real stuffy, especially in the summer, and especially in traffic. I could wrap the exhaust and insulate the trans tunnel a bit more, but I would still like to have air come in and circulate a bit.

Hmm will look into the VW air cooler, good news on the drive shaft, so close :)

Edited by seattlejester

What about removing one or both of the quarter windows, go for a drive and see if you notice a difference? Tie the hatch open a couple inches, see what that does to the airflow (will probably draw in exhaust fumes) in the cabin. How about a piece of Plexiglas right behind the seats, to stop the air from going in the back. You could mock that up with some cardboard/Masonite/door skin. Heck, you could probably test the rain deflector delete by using the some blue tape across to the windshield.

I think Joe has the right idea. First I'd try opening the driver's front, and take out the pass quarter window, and see what kind of flow you get. Then try putting the quarter window back in, and opening the hatch a bit - maybe 4-6 inches, I think. Basically, you need a crossflow (thanks for that tip, dad). The deflector is a good idea too - hadn't thought of that.

I like the idea of popping out the rear quarter, I can just use a stud and a wing nut and make it fairly painless. 

I have a terrible time with working with large sheets of plexi, but that is an interesting idea, no reason to cool my hatch area. 

Taping the drip rails to smooth the airflow is excellent, I'll give that a shot to see if this idea even has any merit. 

I definitely hear you about cross flow, without anywhere for the air to go it really is hard to get the air to come in and go out.

Not too fond of lifting the hatch, maybe if I can make a secondary latch of some sort. Exhaust shouldn't be a problem since I'm venting out the side in front of the rear tire.

The vents on the side in the footwell? Yes.

I think I misspoke earlier, when I mentioned the HVAC sucking in hot air, it would be the footwell vents pulling in warm air without the scoops as the intercooler piping runs right in front of the vent and the scoop no longer fits. 

I think this all stems from the old L28 where I would have headaches after driving for a while, I haven't noticed it as much with the new engine and exhaust, but I would still feel reassured if I could get a nice cross breeze going. 

Brian, I have a dumb idea for you.

Find some cheap, car window rain louvers, the ones that keep the rain from coming into cars with the windows down part way. Cut out the inside of the louver so air will come though it and then attach it to the drip rail. Maybe attach it to the front part of the window rail. Double sided tape or screws and see what that does.

$10 bucks and some time should be all it costs.

I was thinking of your issue when I was driving around yesterday in 96-degree Alabama weather. I don't think you will get enough airflow just with a rain gutter delete-too much work for too little reward. Now, a wind-wing mod (like a VW bug or 50s car)-that's worth talking about.

dexter, not sure I follow completely. Are we talking about the rain deflectors, the little black plastic things? Or are we talking about like louvers that go on mustangs? I'm having a hard time imagining what you are talking about, a little scoop makes sense but I'm not sure I'm visualizing correctly.

Goodness 96*! I'm googling the wind-wing, but I'm going up with airplane wings which seems wrong. Link or example?

Austin Hoke's 240z has shaved gutters if you want to see what it looks like. I think I remember reading that he wouldn't do it again though for the same reasons already mentioned - can't open the windows when raining, etc.

Edited by rturbo 930

Austin had mentioned before the nuisance of even morning dew or condensation that would roll off of the roof and into the open window. I considered removing the rails for clean look, but took heed of his warnings and experiences.

Edited by Nelsonian

What about some sort of deflector to fit into the rails with the windows down. Kind of like the old tilt quarter windows, but entirely removable. On the windshield less power boats, a simple piece of plexiglass at the right angle can mean the difference between crying at 70mph and enjoying the speed. Aim the glass right and it should hit you square in the kisser. I will take a look at my door tomorrow.