HybridZ

Is the driver's and passenger seat interchangeable?

I have a passenger seat that is perfect with no rips in my 280Z while my driver seat is ripped. I am trying to switch the seats but the bolt holes don't lineup. Am I going crazy and the seats are interchangeable? Or is there a left and right seat?

I can't remember the specifics, but I remember that I was unable to swap the driver and passenger seats in my car.  It might have been that the mounts are off center on the seats to move the seats closer to the center of the car, but that is a hazy guess.

The seat back and the seat bottom are identical.  The sliders, rails, and side brackets (recliners - hold the seat bottom and back together...) are not - they are right/left side specific.  

To swap - disassemble the seats, swap seat bottoms and seat backs, reinstall.  Ya, it's a bigger job than you think...

The seat back and the seat bottom are identical.  The sliders, rails, and side brackets (recliners - hold the seat bottom and back together...) are not - they are right/left side specific.  

To swap - disassemble the seats, swap seat bottoms and seat backs, reinstall.  Ya, it's a bigger job than you think...

It's coming back now.  I started to do this but realized this actually isn't the case.  If you look at the mounting locations for the hinges, you will see the bolt holes for the hinges aren't the same from one side to the other since one has the locking mechanism and the other doesn't.  

Can't you just swap sliders? That would be a lot easier. I made both my stock 280z seats into desk chairs and the mounting points are about the same. If you have 240z seats though, I think the sliders are non-removable. But 280z sliders just bolt on.

Pretty sure that I mixed backs and seats and sides when I pieced together a good set for my car.  I think that you just have to take more parts off if you're having problems.  You'll end up with just a cushion with some holes in the sides and bottoms.  Rebuild from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a passenger seat that is perfect with no rips in my 280Z while my driver seat is ripped. I am trying to switch the seats but the bolt holes don't lineup. Am I going crazy and the seats are interchangeable? Or is there a left and right seat?

Yes I have inter changed them even had 240 seats in my car for several years and when I changed them I mixed up drivers and passengers seats. The rails at the bottom are more important to note when installing them to the seats.

Can't you just swap sliders? That would be a lot easier. I made both my stock 280z seats into desk chairs and the mounting points are about the same. If you have 240z seats though, I think the sliders are non-removable. But 280z sliders just bolt on.

You can, but then the recliner is on the wrong side of the seat.  If that's a non-issue for you, try it.  I've never done it that way... 

While I say "It's a bigger job that you think", the whole seat can be completely disassembled in 10 minutes or less, seats and bottoms swapped, and reassembled in another 10.  It'll take you longer to get the 4 nuts off an early (240Z, early 260Z) to get the seat out of the car than to disassemble the seat itself.  You guys with lates don't know how easy you have it...