HybridZ

Your lightweight flywheel experience?

Hey all,

Just wondering if people can tell me what they experienced when going to a lightweight flywheel, specifically what weight flywheel you went with, general motor (especially cam) setup, and gears/diff. Pretty simple. I've seen some feedback sprinkled through out the forums, but am just looking for centralized raw feedback of actual first-hand experiences. Thanks guys!

What exactly do you want to know?

My NA L28 has a 10lb flywheel, I'm guessing it's a Fidanza (came with it), and a centerforce 2 clutch. Cam is a mild Crane Cam, also has triple webers and ported/polished head, basically a mild street motor. I don't know what exactly you're concerned about, but the first time I drove it, I found it surprisingly easy to drive. Would be easier yet if my carbs were tuned right and didn't cut out under 3krpm. IMO, if you want a lightweight flywheel, just go and get one.

rturbo,

Thanks! I was reading some people saying that with a lightweight flywheel, they need to "launch" at 2k or 3k just to get going. I'm assuming in free rev the motor will be much snappier, just wondering if it does something like stall out super easy or anything like that from a drive-ability perspective. I actually already have a 9.5 lbs Kameari flywheel I was planning on installing with my ACT sprung 6 puck disc with street spring clutch combo (also a little worried about going with 6 puck instead of full disc, but the power rating between the two is huge), was just having second thought before installing it.

Yeah, I don't think your 6 puck clutch is going to be as nice to drive, but that has more to do with the clutch than the flywheel. I don't know who was saying they need to launch at 2-3k, but I'd take a guess that they have no idea how to drive, or they have something that's really only meant for race cars. My Z was not only surprisingly easy to drive compared to my expectations, but actually just easy to drive period. I didn't find that it stalled out easily.

It comes down to personal preference but I love lightweight flywheels. It's good bang for the buck and a must for a true sports car, IMO.

I'm running a 10lb Fidanza on an L28 with triple 45s, late ZX 5-speed, 3.36 R180, and a 270/540 cam. The car is very easy to drive, even with the very long gears. Using an OEM clutch disk and pressure plate.

Yeah, I don't think your 6 puck clutch is going to be as nice to drive, but that has more to do with the clutch than the flywheel. I don't know who was saying they need to launch at 2-3k, but I'd take a guess that they have no idea how to drive, or they have something that's really only meant for race cars. My Z was not only surprisingly easy to drive compared to my expectations, but actually just easy to drive period. I didn't find that it stalled out easily.

Probably a 4 cylinder owner. My friend had a 10lb Tilton on his L18 with 44s with a really stiff Nismo pp and it was difficult to get going. Another friend had a sub 10 lb flywheel in a 1G RX7. You pretty much had to rev it up and drop the clutch. Less torque  = harder to drive light flywheel. L28 has a lot of rotating weight already and isn't so torque deficient.

I had a 12 lb AZC flywheel with ACT pp and stock disk and it held down my 240ish whp L28 just fine with 3.70 and 3.90 gears. Friend of mine had 10 lb HKS on hers with SUs and 3.90s and later 3.36s and it was also easy to drive.

My $.02, skip the puck disk if you don't need the extra capacity. I would suggest ACT's upgraded stock type disk. I can't remember what the friction material is, carbon/kevlar or whatever, with their heavy pp. If you're making too much power for that, I'd go to a 240mm disk before I did the puck disk.

My $.02, skip the puck disk if you don't need the extra capacity. I would suggest ACT's upgraded stock type disk. I can't remember what the friction material is, carbon/kevlar or whatever, with their heavy pp. If you're making too much power for that, I'd go to a 240mm disk before I did the puck disk.

I had this setup in my turbo L6 setup that was pushing close to 400 tq to the wheels.  I also had a Fidanza LW flywheel.  I had no problems with the setup and it was fairly easy to drive.  Saying that, the heavy duty PP along with their upgraded street disk made engagement an on-off affair with only a little slip available.  

I have a 10 lb fidanza flywheel in a 1970 behind a sbc with edelbrock roller top end kit.,tremec rr 5 speed,355 gears.revs quicker now.setup works smooth as butter,do have to nurse it a bit pulling away but that could be the cam.love it.money well spent.