HybridZ

DIY Hoop?

Rusty Old Z

• 1 month later...

If you are bending it yourself, I think anyone who has done it will tell you, calculations are kind of meaningless because you are virtually guaranteed to have to scrap a lot of tubing because of do-overs.  Maybe not so much if you are just doing a simple hoop, but definitely so for a complete cage.  If someone out there can nail the complex, multi-plane bends in one try, they are a better person than me....

I would say for a simple hoop you "might" get it in one try...depending on how perfectly you want it to fit.  For a main hoop you will need a single piece about 13' long.  But a single hoop is of no value without back braces and cross braces, and what you will need there depends on your design.

Edited by Ironhead

3 hours ago, JMortensen said:

Another way to do it is to bend conduit to shape and then bend the tube to match the conduit. That's how I did the halo and A pillar bars in my cage.

That definitely would have been a cheaper approach.  I probably wasted at least 20-30 feet of tubing with screw-ups bending mine.

• 1 year later...