HybridZ

Hello everyone, I'm new to the Datsun community. I have a N/A 1981 Datsun 280zx I've had for a year and man it's the best car I've ever bought. I have been thinking about swapping it with an Sbc 350 but need the right guidance. Some of the forums don't give a lot of detail, is anyone in Long Beach Ca or near ? Yes, I have purchased the JTR manual but currently waiting for it to arrive. I would like some pointers from people who have done this swap before. Here are some pics of my car. 

IMG_20200211_160803893_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200211_160814541_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20200211_160820676_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200211_160757432_HDR~2.jpg

im not around you but ive done this swap.  whatever you can get from JTR will help alot (motor mounts, headers, radiator ) they make the best stuff for this swap. you will need to upgrade the fuel pump but a Holley Red or Black (depending on HP requirments)will fit right in place of the original without too much work.the pump is a bit noisy but best fuel pump on a budget. i think it was motorsport auto that makes a speedo cable for an turbo350 trans to connect to your speedo (didnt quiet read right but once you figure out how far off it was then atleast you have something). you can easily make some autometer gauges fit where the 3 in the dash are for oil pressure, volts and trans temp if automatic.  save the ignition wire when your stripping the things out. youll need it for the distributor. its going to be a lil nose heavy so you'll lose some handling but it will be a blast in a straight line. and alot less work then doing a LS swap. 

4 hours ago, G-Tech said:

im not around you but ive done this swap.  whatever you can get from JTR will help alot (motor mounts, headers, radiator ) they make the best stuff for this swap. you will need to upgrade the fuel pump but a Holley Red or Black (depending on HP requirments)will fit right in place of the original without too much work.the pump is a bit noisy but best fuel pump on a budget. i think it was motorsport auto that makes a speedo cable for an turbo350 trans to connect to your speedo (didnt quiet read right but once you figure out how far off it was then atleast you have something). you can easily make some autometer gauges fit where the 3 in the dash are for oil pressure, volts and trans temp if automatic.  save the ignition wire when your stripping the things out. youll need it for the distributor. its going to be a lil nose heavy so you'll lose some handling but it will be a blast in a straight line. and alot less work then doing a LS swap. 

Thank you for responding, yes I will get the most out of jtr. The information you have given me is very helpful. Also I want to still run a manual trans do you have any suggestions ? And about the wiring where can I get a plug and play harness or is it just easier to create one. If so, do you have a diagram I can follow as a reference ?

Posted (edited)

as long as its a hydraulic clutch you'll be in good shape. you wanna get a better clutch master cyl from willwood the stock master cyl is not good enough, but they are not too badly priced. a great thing about a SBC is there is no wire harness necessary. you have ignition wire for distributor, mark your original wires for tachometer signal, the starter, power for alternator which i think the JTR manual explains,  you'll run new wires  for any sensors you want. it is very simple, just take it 1 piece at a time and at some point the list gets shorter. if you have power steering, make note of which hose is the pressure line and return line. make special note that power steering rack is metric so you need to make a hose to go from English pwr steering pump to metric pwr steering rack.  i dont think there is any specific radiator hoses, i just made a diagram of what i needed and went behind the counter of autozone and looked thru the selection. you can always return them and switch out for others if you dont get it right. and last thing that im thinking of is make sure you ground the motor to the body. i ran a cable from the back of the head to the firewall. i think i just wrote a book :) , write down what you need to know for a check list and just cross things off as you go. let me know what else you need as you go.

Edited by G-Tech

2 hours ago, G-Tech said:

as long as its a hydraulic clutch you'll be in good shape. you wanna get a better clutch master cyl from willwood the stock master cyl is not good enough, but they are not too badly priced. a great thing about a SBC is there is no wire harness necessary. you have ignition wire for distributor, mark your original wires for tachometer signal, the starter, power for alternator which i think the JTR manual explains,  you'll run new wires  for any sensors you want. it is very simple, just take it 1 piece at a time and at some point the list gets shorter. if you have power steering, make note of which hose is the pressure line and return line. make special note that power steering rack is metric so you need to make a hose to go from English pwr steering pump to metric pwr steering rack.  i dont think there is any specific radiator hoses, i just made a diagram of what i needed and went behind the counter of autozone and looked thru the selection. you can always return them and switch out for others if you dont get it right. and last thing that im thinking of is make sure you ground the motor to the body. i ran a cable from the back of the head to the firewall. i think i just wrote a book :) , write down what you need to know for a check list and just cross things off as you go. let me know what else you need as you go.

Sweet !, All this juicy information is going to help me lots. Do you think we can get into further contact via email ?