HybridZ

Hatch hinge seals

How important are the hatch hinge seals?  They aren't cheap.  Without them, does water get up into the roof pocket?  Trying to determine if I really need them or not.  I have a 76 280z.

Hatch__01130__99365.jpg.21807206cc4df79452623f0b26923bfb.jpg

Edited by fusion

@fusion
Zcardepot has reasonably priced reproductions available. Not sure how they compare to NOS or the more expensive reproductions I’ve seen, but they seem the same thickness as my original ones, which were in decent shape (unfortunately I forgot to remove them during sandblasting and don’t trust my original anymore).

@fusion

Yeah, I threw them in my DIY zinc plating and then hit them with a coat of etching primer to keep them protected until paint. They seem important to holding the seal tightly in place and mine had factory seam sealer between body and seals, and between the seal/plate mating surface.

Yeah I can get some dimensions this week. I remember that they are specific to the side of the car, but they are symmetrical so the dimensions of one can be flipped and transposed to the other side. I’ll post them here with pics when I have them.

17 hours ago, fusion said:

Have you installed them yet?  If not, I would really love some measurements as I need to fabricate my own.

I might have an extra set from a roof part out. I’ll see if I can get them off 

So I tried to get some measurements but they are a bit more complex than some holes cut in a 90deg bend of metal. For some reason pictures I upload don’t turn out with great resolution, so it’s hard to see the detail I’m referring to. There’s some little lips here and there, and the slotted holes are angled. I’d definitely try to catch somebody parting one out cause it’s likely they’ll have them. If you want to make them it’s probably better to base it off one you have in your hand already than any measurements I could take.

4959CF03-13AC-41F5-95DA-86E21810DD56.jpeg

DA4E0CC1-69C9-41D2-AD33-451002A6458B.jpeg

Edited by Sanchez

• 1 month later...

Looks like I'll be doing mine also. I had water in the hatch area by the cubbies. I didn't realize my (new to me) 75 was missing all the outer hatch seals, and the main seal was basically shot, so it's most likely the large amount of water was actually from that. I found when I removed the hatch to do the seals that the hatch screws into the hinges were loose & so the hinge had rubbed a hole through the rubber on the pass. side. Small hole, but still.

spacer.png

No rust inside, that's all glue overspray (from headliner? I dunno)

spacer.png

The ones that I got with Vintage rubber( aftermarket) fit like ass . I had to make cuts to allow the seal to sit correctly in the hole . So I will have to use some seam sealer to supplement the sealing of the seal . I’ll take a pic . 

If you're gonna get aftermarket that fit poorly and require a bit of work, just get the ones from Z Car Depot. At least they're $37 ea and you're not out so much and they're probably from exactly the same place originally.

I believe I got mine from JDM Car Parts. Paid $140+ and they fit well, but I can't tell if they were OEM at the time. I thought they were only available OEM when I purchased mine. https://jdm-car-parts.com/products/rear-hatch-hinge-seal-set-240z-260z-280z-69-75?variant=766736517

Still need the plates, they definitely seem more important than you'd think.