Jump to content
HybridZ

280z 1jz track build from a pile of parts


Recommended Posts

Such a clean, meticulous build...the car looks amazing.  I'm really digging all the custom machine work you did, in designing and fabricating so many "one-off" parts & pieces.  (I know several parts suppliers that would benefit from your level of skill and expertise.)  😜

 

Quite a feat to build a car at this level in such a short timeline.  Great work!!  👍👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jhm said:

Such a clean, meticulous build...the car looks amazing.  I'm really digging all the custom machine work you did, in designing and fabricating so many "one-off" parts & pieces.  (I know several parts suppliers that would benefit from your level of skill and expertise.)  😜

 

Quite a feat to build a car at this level in such a short timeline.  Great work!!  👍👍

Thank you for the kind words. Im proud of this one and cant wait to get it dialed in a bit and get to enjoy it a bit on the street and track.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2026 at 10:09 AM, jhm said:

Such a clean, meticulous build...the car looks amazing.  I'm really digging all the custom machine work you did, in designing and fabricating so many "one-off" parts & pieces.  (I know several parts suppliers that would benefit from your level of skill and expertise.)  😜

This is how I feel watching some youtube channels. popularity doesn't mean skill or quality. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

spent the last few days focusing on fixing some steering geometry. If you guys remember this car came with the 240sx knuckles and if you've ever done any research on that swap, its hot garbage. I spent some time adusting ackerman right off the bat and made it so it was drivable and made a small adjustment last week. My plan has always been to modify them and get all the geometry dialed to how i like it and then scan it. and make a billet version that is modular and can be tweaked in from there.

 

Anyway. This weekends goal was to dial in the mechanical trail and some roll center correction. The 240sx knuckle on the wrong side of the car made the mechanical trail very large so the car had very very heavy steering feel. I did some measuring and made a decision. Clipped off 8º of angle off the ball joint mount. and offset the mount to where i wanted it. Designed and machined an adapter block and welded it on. came up with a quick bumpsteer kit as the knuckle needs to have the tie rod mount lowered by a good bit. didn't take good photos but the car drives SO MUCH BETTER. steering feels great. "light" (for manual steering) but centers still centers well and has good feedback. 

 

Took the wife to get ice cream last night and what a great feeling that was after a year of work.

 

 

20260823_121507.jpg

20260823_121615.jpg

20260823_164254.jpg

20260823_200550.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a tradition with my dad that I took over, every time we buy a new vehicle we stop at Mc Donalds on the way back and get a milkshake.

 

This also gives us some time to look and admire our new purchase. We will probably continue this tradition this weekend as I’ll be looking at a 2015 BMW M550D touring (almost 400hp diesel station wagon) as a new daily driver.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Last weekend i got the offer to run a single day of a multi day event if I wanted to shake down the car. So i scrambled all week getting a bunch of things checked off the list. a couple days getting up at 5am and working for a couple hours before work and then to 10-11pm after work but got it so i could run it. Added a front splitter. strut bar, seat belts. fuel cell bulkhead, fire extinguisher, coolant overflow, battery tie down and kill switch, tow hook, brake bias controller, some tuning changes and im sure a few more things. But i made it. My uncle and I loaded up friday evening and saturday morning drove an hour and a half to the track. Had a great time. car was an absolute trooper and didnt skip a beat. New track for me so had some getting used to the track and the car. but i did 4 sessions problem free, I didn't change a single thing all day. found one loose bolt after session 3 that i caught before it was a problem. Car performed well. Had a fairly competitive pace by the end. Anyway. huge photo dump

 

20260826_180922.jpg

20260831_190608.jpg

20260902_091020.jpg

20260902_163354.jpg

20260902_163938.jpg

20260902_202422.jpg

20260902_204102.jpg

20260903_154541.jpg

20260904_145207.jpg

20260904_152314.jpg

20260905_082546.jpg

20260905_082730.jpg

20260905_101135.jpg

20260905_111634(0).jpg

20260905_111802(0).jpg

20260905_145246.jpg

20260905_171015.jpg

20260905_172717.jpg

20260905_173758(0).jpg

Screenshot_20260906_094056_Instagram.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

couple videos the wife had taken. looking over some datalogs this morning. Car never got over 201ºF in any log that I could see. I can't find a spot in a log where the oil temp even got over 200ºF. oil pressure never dipped on any turns or hard braking. Really impressed the car didn't skip a beat. For a shakedown i was pleasantly surprised. New track for me so i worked on me as a driver rather than swings at setup changes to bandaid a driver problem but my lap times where improving fairly significantly every session and was having so much fun doing it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...