HybridZ

Downpipe???

Cody 82 ZXT

Vinh, I still haven't gotten around to it yet but, hope to by the end of March at the very latest. When I do I'll be sure to get ahold of you and see if you need anything.

Why is it when you have plenty of money for these kind of things you have no time to do them. Or when you have time you have no money to spend on go fast stuff.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think scottie ever made pipes for the zxt he made them for the z with the turbo swap.I have to say you won't be disappointed i love mine that scottie sold me a long time ago.PLus i get alot of looks cuz he did such a good job on it.The one good thing about MI is no smog or emission tests i have to pass so i have scottie's 2.5" dp and then it goes right to 3" exhaust to my zero back pressure magnaflow muffler and man i love the sound :D If you make some dp's cody you could sell alot of them i know a few people who are interested too and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I have been looking at this post for quite some time. I have also built a complete system that will fit the stock exhaust turbine housing, or easily adapted to a different flange configuration. I know some of you know about my system but here is the link to check it out if you dont http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/page11.html

I have gotten a number of inquirys on the system and have enough people, IF EVERYONE WANTS ONE, to do a group run on the pipes. The bender requires a minimum build of 15 sets of pipes. I do the rest on the system.

Now I realize some of you dont like various parts of the system or maybe you do, but the point is that if I can do a minimum run, all of the pipes dont have to be made for a complete system. Some may just want the down pipe and not the cat back pipe, some may want a complete system and that is fine also.

So if you are a person that is just interested in the down pipe, and I have the required number to do the minimum build then this is a perfect opportunity for you to solve some of your problems, get a killer downpipe in stainless steel 3" mandrel bent that will fit your car perfectly (yes even with the stock cat and cat back pipe and muffler)

I have been wanting to do this ever since I built the system, but it just has not worked out. Now there is an opportunity to do it if everyone in my address book wants the pipes at least. the rest of the system is not a problem in the least.

anyway mail me if you are interested and let the others you know that want to do the down pipe on their car, and lets see what kind of response I get. If all works out well, all of you will be able to buy exactly the parts you want, pieces or a complete system. :D

I took the pipes back to the shop two days ago and they are being quoted again, just to make sure the price is the same. It has been almost 2 years since I had the first three made. I should have a good quote here in a few days. I also did the drawing of the flange and it is out for quote. I dont have the time to make that many flanges. My machinest guy is real reasonable on his parts and he does an excellent job. That should be ready here also shortly.

ALL of you who are interested in the down pipe/system make sure you send me out a mail to that effect and I will add you to my list to give you the info when I get all the quotes completed.

mrjeff1@sbcglobal.net

I just got off the phone for the flange. The flange is going to cost 75.00 done in 304 stainless steel. This is the flange that I designed and built for the Nissan exhaust turbine housing.

I may be able to have the part done in mild steal, but really would not do that as it will rust, and the stainless part will just turn brown after a while.

I will get the pipes today if I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok everyone, I got the quotes for the components to the complete system and the down pipe quote that will consist of the down pipe the flange and the test pipe that will go in place of the cat. I also have the cost for a single flange with the tubes that are 6" off each side of the flange assembly.

The down pipe (with the test pipe) with the turbo flange and gasket is going to run 300.00 plus the shipping.

The single flange with the tubes for each side of the flange is going to run 50.00 plus the shipping.

The cat back pipe is going to run 150.00 and you will need to buy an additional flange if you want to run just the cat back pipe.

This is whith the added cost in materials from the bender, seems the stainless and the flanges have gone up somewhat.

I havent, priced the current cost of the cat or the muffler so I cant give you a cost for the complete package, but it is looking like the costs have not gone up to much on the parts, but I will have to make sure on the muffler and cat

So it right now is looking like about 900.00 plus shipping for a complete system.

I spoke to the bender and everything is looking good to do a run, if enough of you want the part. I have the machinest ready to start making flanges for the turbo, and about all that is left is for me to finish up making the O2 bungs (in stainless steel, not mild steel) and get the gaskets going. I am going to try these new gaskets in .040 stainless steel this time in stead of the copper gasket I made for my car. The heat seems to be just a little much for the copper.

anyway, I will send everyone an email with the quotes and we will see what we get.

have a good one everybody.

Guest jim@speednation
And also, These will fit the first gen Z's, right?

I just wanted to make sure of this as well. I have a '75 280Z with a ZXT swap starting soon. Since these downpipes are so hard to find, I thought I'd grab one before I go too far along.

First, the test pipe is removable with the couplers. I am not all together sure the down pipe will fit the first generation cars, but it is designed around the zx cars. On the zx cars it basically runs along the engine and the tranny. I cant be totally sure, but it would seem to me that it would fit the earlier gen cars as well. You can get a look at the down pipe and coupler on my web site. If you are getting a stock down pipe to work on the car, this part will work as well, in fact it is designed with an extra bend to allow for clearances.

hope that helps.