HybridZ

13B turbo in a 240z?

auxilary

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest spunkysandoval

I think that swaping in s stock rx-8 motor would be sufficent. It would be plent for me anyways. 250 hp, and a beautiful exhaust sound that will make you fall in love more and more with each foot mashing.

Oh boy, i'd better start saving.

im just pondering what i would do if i blew it up .. rebuild $$$$ or swap a different motor in. Sr20 caught my eye also. then again a good bullet proof 700 HP RB26 wouldbe nice ;>

there is no way i would pull just for kicks. once (if) i get my 10 sec slip then its time for turbos and a headgasket and shoot for the nines :rockon:

As previously mentioned, Keep in mind the weight savings of doing the B13 in a Zcar... This would be the ultimate way to go if planning to compete in an unlimeted class for autocross or NASA... You could get the Z down to around 1700# with a B13 TT setup and Lexan windows....

Mike

One thing to keep in mind is that a 3rd generation Rx7's 13B is not the 13B in the early 70's. The factory learned a lot from road testing the 12A and all on America's streets. I ran the '74 or so 13B I had for something on the otherside of 90,000 miles [not counting what was on the engine when I pulled it out of a Cosmo] before something went 'click' and seized the engine. This includes running it in third gear from Mexicali to Indio at full throttle [Don't even ASK why?] a distance of about 90 miles covered in something around 1 hour. I'm sure it was pulling 7 or 8 grand all the way. Pick up a turbo version, intercool it, pump up the boost, and have fun.......heck, you'll run heads up or better with the vast majority of good running 350's [Oh, oh, I've said it now.] Yeah, do it and keep us informed. This forum could use a Mazda/Z section.

gw

Being a V8 Z guy, I'll absolutely stand behind this comment: A 13B Single OR twin turbo conversion would ABSOLUTELY go toe to toe with all but the most radical V8 conversions... Having ridden in a properly done conversion unit, I can attest to the fact that they are SCARY FAST! Alex, Do it... You won't be disapointed!

Mike

Well Aux,

You have heard a number of people weigh in; I think you have a lot of support from your friends and guys on this site. I think you should go for it.

Now, please sell me your JTR stuff :D

Davy

Guest ON3GO

hmm maybe ill do it.

my friend is selling his 13B with tranny, harness and etc.

all for 1200 bucks...to me anyways cuz ive known him for the longest time.

hmm nice big T78, injectors, FMIC, droooooooolll.

i dunno though. prob cost to much to get everything to install it.

a nice WRX flat four would be cool too.

mike

Guest ON3GO

oh ya they can.

theres a few REX's in tampa that street race all the time with crazy ass turbos like that.

one has a T72 a few others have T66's.

they move like a bat out of hell.

sound badass too.

I dunno if ill do this.....

mike

in 86 my dad bought a na rx7 with the 13b. six months later we put in a cartech aftermarket turbo kit with intercooler. it was a totally different car. 0 - 60 mph in 4.6 seconds. the fastest i had it going was 255 kph. all you had to do was touch the gas and the redline buzzer was going. it was unreal. i highly recommend the swap. just talking about it makes me wonder if i shouldn't add this engine to my list of possible swaps.

Guest eric-z

I've got some questions for you guys....

I checked out the mazda's at the junk yard the other day and saw a couple of late 80's 13b NA engines. does anyone know how much it would cost to rebuild one of these(on average)? are the internals the same on both 13b and 13bt? if not then how do they differ?

thanks

eric

different compression, completely different intake and exhaust ports ( the na motor has 6 intake runners, the turbo has 4), etc. the motors also differ (ie. 86-91 rx7 had 2 different motors - series 4 and 5, and so did the 79-84 rx7 - initially 12a 1.2 liter carb'd rotary, and then a 1.3 FI). Rebuild kit also costs about a grand, and this does NOT include rotor housings or rotors.

rotaries are nuts, theres a turbo2 out here that runs 12.1 on slicks

and a t3 60-1 with less than 15psi-so he says. but i have seen him run 12.9 five times in a row at sears point. my man at the warehouse is building one thats gonna be faster than him on a beat up turbo 2 motor, then hes going to the twin turbo swap into it, he makes the brackets to bolt

any year rotary into any year of the rx, maybe i should talk to him about seeing how it would fit into a z, i am doing an l28et in the next couple weeks and would have an empty engine bay to test fit the kits. i was talking to him about your swap- and of course being a rotary nut, he was all for it.