HybridZ

Mobil 1 oil consumption, Grumpy, Others?

I've heard and seen the more prone to leaking of this expensive motor oil, but oil consumption? 15/ 50 was on sale at the local target and after hearing recommendations, decided my engine was worth having the "good stuff". 100 miles and a quart short. Topped it back up, looked underneath. A few more drips, but no real concern. 100 more same result. Vacuum guage test said guides were sound on my new AFRs. Don't have a leakdown tester. Drove it really hard and it gobbled another quart in well under 100 miles. Visited another couple of forums and found there might be a correlation to rings not seating with the Mobile 1. Dozen or so pulls on the engine stand with the original Vavoline, then 100s of miles actually driving on the mobile 1. Switched back to my builders recommendation of 20/50 Vavoline and magically, no consumption what-so-ever. I never saw blue smoke under power, the underside is pretty clean, where did the Mobil 1 go? Should I go back after a few more thousand miles?

John

Guest greimann

I think your consumption may have more to do with the slightly lower viscosity of 15W-50 vs the 20W-50. It is not much, but it still may be significant enough to come past the rings. Synthetic oils are not typically "slipperier" than conventional oils, they just have better tolerance to oxidation due to heat and also flow better at low temperature. Synthetics are also designed to be a multigrade oil without the addition of viscosity improver polymers. These polymers are needed in conventional oils to achieve high temperature performance. After time these polymers shear down and what started out as a 20W-50 will eventually become a 20W-40, or less.

A good test of my viscosity theory would be to find a synthetic 20W-50 and see if comsumption changes.

I have known other people who have given up on synthetic oils for the same reason. Their cars drank up the synthetic but not conventional oils. The viscosity might have something to do with it, but I know both of my cars run fine with the factory recommended 5w-30 (or is it 10w-30?). Either way much thinner than a 15W-50.

I have read that you are not suppose to break in a car with synthetics. Anyone know if this is true? But my buddy's car had 20K miles when he first tried synthetics, so there is something else going on.

I think there is an issue with synthetics. I am curious to hear whether anyone else had consumption issues with synthetic oils.

Yes,

A good 5,000 mile breakin period is a good number.

I also would recommend (using non-synthetic) changing oil and filter at 100, 2500 and 5000 miles after a fresh motor.

Then go with some synthetic lubes.

I personally change oil and filter after the first run(30 min), then at 100, 1000, 2500, 4000 miles on my freshies. Then I install my synlubes. :D

I have not, nor have I had any customers with oil consumpions problems.

Even the cars with higher mileage before doing lube changes.

I think alot has to do with breakin procedures, crappy rings, cly wall condition or it wasn`t put together just rite from the get go(ie factory).

I know after reading some posts from Grumpy, that he recommends using a mineral based oil for the first 2 oil changes(inital break-in, and 100 miles) then change over to the "good stuff." Thats what I'm going to do for my fresh LT1. I'll have to let you guys know how things go. I'm just waiting on my driveshaft so that I can go get the exhaust done!

Then its break-in time!!!!! :twisted::D

Guy

• 4 weeks later...

I put about 2800m miles on my 2000 Silverado, and then switched over to Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic, and I change it when the computer tells me to, and I am not using any that I know of.

I just started using the Castrol Syntec in 10w30, and I swear I get better mileage with it then Mobil 1.

I have never been able to keep synthetic in a Z motor, but I know keeping the rev's under 3k when driving helps with oil consumption. Turn it over 3k, and watch it go bye bye.

Yeah, break in on conventional motor oil. You need the wear to seat rings, etc. Synthetic base stocks are more stable and do not degrade nearly as quickley at higher temps. They also have less change in viscosity as the temperature changes (higher viscosity index, vi). Some newer motor oil base stocks are hydrotreated (saturated with hydrogen) to increase the vi which gives a more stable viscosity.

I've run Mobil 1 in most all my engines (after break in) and have not seen increase in consumption or leakage. Syntec has a hydrotreated base stock. I use Castrol conventional motor oil, they use a very good additive package in their oil.

Remember, auto manufactures want you to run the lower visc oils (5w 's) to get better fleet mile per gallon numbers (not intrested in engine life). :twisted: I've never run below a 10w- oil and had no problems.

PS I keep most vehicles atleast 10 years and usually well ovewr 150000 miles

On my 2000 Ford F350 with the 6.8L V10 I see a slight increase in oil consumption running Mobil 1 10W-30 over the dealer installed generic 10W-30. I've done back-to-back checks (dealer does free oil changes for life) for 5,000 miles intervals and noted about a 1/2 quart difference in usage. Regular oil requires adding 1/2 quart in that mileage period and Mobil 1 needs 1 quart.

On a cold start I will see a puff of smoke when the truck is running Mobil 1 and I won't see it when using regular oil.