HybridZ

ZX rear calipers: just say no

I felt the need to once again make this info easily available to any and all. Those ZX rear calipers are to be avoided. Caliper number 3 is leaking like a mofo. And it's out of warranty now since the car sat for 2 years (1 year warranty), even though it only has like 1000 miles on it.

So, I guess I'll go buy another one :evil:

Any of you still hunting for the mythical Maxima rear brackets - STOP! Don't do it!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried rebuilding - these things have that nested cylinder for the ebrake that is just not rebuildable. I've tried and even Terry has tried.

These calipers are just heinous.

jeromio

The ZX brakes are GREAT!!!. You cant let any assembled brake product sit without use dude. Dont spew false knowledge about ZX brakes without the proper facts. I broke a rear seal doing a realllly big standing burnout. I rebuilt them, and ive NEVER had a problem with them after that. Ive actually never seen a problem with ZX brakes at all.

Rebuild rubbers are availbale in kits for $14/BOTH SIDES where i shop.

The ZX brakes are GREAT!!!. You cant let any assembled brake product sit without use dude. Dont spew false knowledge about ZX brakes without the proper facts. I broke a rear seal doing a realllly big standing burnout. I rebuilt them' date=' and ive NEVER had a problem with them after that. Ive actually never seen a problem with ZX brakes at all.

[/quote']

Dude. Chill. He is giving proper facts, and we don't need a flame war starting because he's stating facts about his car. As far as knowledge goes, I don't think someone who can successfully do an LS1 powered Z lacks knowledge about Z cars in general.

You cant let any assembled brake product sit without use dude.

OK now you guys have me nervous. My Z is sitting on blocks, with no plates, and a complete set of 4 wheel disk parts sitting in boxes next to it. Since the car won't be road worthy for another year or two (or three), what would you recommend I do with my JY calipers? They are full of clean fluid with the inlet tubes crimped tight, sealed in zip lock bags and stored in a dry place?

Suggestions? Would it be better to put them on, even though the car will still sit?

BTW, don't dis jeromio. It was through his web site that I was first introduced to the maniacs that frequent this site. I have read enough posts by both of you guys to know you both have valid things to say.

Fronts sat for the same amount of time. No problems. And when the calipers started leaking a month after I first rebuilt them, there was no sitting around then. And when the rear cal on the driver's side was replaced with a rebuilt unit and started leaking a couple of months after I installed it - no sitting. How exactly does lack of use cause leaking? These were not dried out. They're not seized up. Brakes on my blue truck that sits for 4-5 years at a time (don't ask) are fine. I guess these rear cals are the only "normal" ones then, huh?

Maybe it's just me. A rear caliper curse. Or maybe if I'd been around cars as long as ol' David K I'd I've been able to knock this LS1 swap out alot sooner and therefore not have ruined my brakes from lack of use :roll: . Right.

Yes, 240sx calipers seem to me like the way to go. I just don't have no dollars for that.

And Jim, I wouldn't worry about it. If letting parts (brake or otherwise) sit around unused causes them to fail, then I guess NAPA, Autozone, Kragen, Carquest, etc. should all just close their doors forever.

I bought rebuilt rear calipers 3 years ago for my 80' ZX and they sit unused every winter up here in Wisconsin for like 5 months a year. I could see them leaking if you dont use them for like a year or two?

Where is it leaking from?

Guy :D

Guest zline
Fronts sat for the same amount of time. No problems. And when the calipers started leaking a month after I first rebuilt them' date=' there was no sitting around then. And when the rear cal on the driver's side was replaced with a rebuilt unit and started leaking a couple of months after I installed it - no sitting. How exactly does lack of use cause leaking? These were not dried out. They're not seized up. Brakes on my blue truck that sits for 4-5 years at a time (don't ask) are fine. I guess these rear cals are the only "normal" ones then, huh?

Maybe it's just me. A rear caliper curse. Or maybe if I'd been around cars as long as ol' David K I'd I've been able to knock this LS1 swap out alot sooner and therefore not have ruined my brakes from lack of use :roll: . Right.

Yes, 240sx calipers seem to me like the way to go. I just don't have no dollars for that.

And Jim, I wouldn't worry about it. If letting parts (brake or otherwise) sit around unused causes them to fail, then I guess NAPA, Autozone, Kragen, Carquest, etc. should all just close their doors forever.[/quote']

The fact that you say that the fronts sat for an equal amount of time sends off a red flag to me that maybe just that one caliper may be a lemon? because if the "parts cant sit out" law applies to ALL parts..then your fronts should leak as well...

240SX calipers can be had cheap from the junkyard and the setup is only like 150 from Ross .

Dude. Chill. He is giving proper facts, and we don't need a flame war starting because he's stating facts about his car. As far as knowledge goes, I don't think someone who can successfully do an LS1 powered Z lacks knowledge about Z cars in general.

Its not his knowledge of Z Cars. THis had to happen eventually. I got upset because i see tons of regular Z owners always dissing the ZX. The ZX is an awesome car in its own sense, just like the regular Z. When i see and hear people dissing the ZX, it really pisses me off. The reason being is that its the only car I can afford. I cant afford anything else. Its also the only car i run into that people dont care to have. Now, when something negative comes up about the ZX, i feel like im being made fun of also, being its the only car i can afford at the time. I feel personal about it and it just makes me feel cheap as hell.

Take no offense Jeremio

people that diss zx's havent driven one, i used to feel the same way about 2+2 cars, until i drove my current runner, an 83 zxt 2+2 ttop with the digital dash (HELL YES DIGITSL DASH), oh man what a feeling. doing 85 mph completely stable with teh cruise and AC on, WHAT. actually having some cargo room in the car without feelign claustrophobic, NICE.

good brakes, freaking nice brakes on these cars. i like the zx's now, i mean when i had a 240 i used to diss on 280s, but now i love the 280z and zx's, they have a ride quality i never could get out of the 240z-but my 240z was v8ed though :D

David K, you are taking this personally, and it is NOT an attack on the ZX at all. AFAIC, there are a lot of Z parts with ideosyncracies--this may be one of them or it may be not. In any event, if he got a hold of a lemon part, that is the fault of the rebuilder.

That said, I don't think the seals had adequate time to dry out--that just does not make good sense to me. I would think that autoparts stores would need to be able to stockpile everything, and that certainly would include all brake parts.

I think Zline said it best:

The fact that you say that the fronts sat for an equal amount of time sends off a red flag to me that maybe just that one caliper may be a lemon? because if the "parts cant sit out" law applies to ALL parts..then your fronts should leak as well...

240SX calipers can be had cheap from the junkyard and the setup is only like 150 from Ross .

I decided to do the 240SX swap instead, so I bought the 240SX calipers and rotors from FL327 and the brackets from Ross Corrigan at Modern-motorsports. I'll do the swap AFTER I purchase the Xtreme 13" brakes from Ross hopefully this summer.

Davy

Guest zline

I just think that this whole thing was misinterpeted by ZX people, who after all, are Z people just as us Z guys are ZXers too. I mean we all run the same badge, all can interchange the same parts...and relativly all our cars look the same.

I also believe all this Z vs ZX bad blood is so - below the Datsun communities level that its POINTLESS. So jeromio has problems with a ZX part and is advising us of his trouble, which we should be thankful that he's taking the time to do. After all, we all at some point come to this board for help or to give help don't we? So my question is this: Why is it so hard to accept this piece of help.

I don't think he was out to put down anybody, just express his frustration with a problematic part, and like I said before, if they all sat out for the same amount of time and only ONE is leaking, you got a lemon bub.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, my vote is for 240SX rears, they're easy to find (25-50 bucks from the JY) and the setup is 150 from ross...so 175, 200 at most for an upgrade is better than paying for rebuild kits over and over again IMHO.

- Dan

I swapped in a set of rear calipers from an 83zxt parts car w/ the maxima brackets into my 77 and no problems yet... knock on wood :bonk:

Do you have the E-brake hooked up? I have heard that the e-brake is necessary for keeping the pads adjusted up to the rotors? I won't be running an E-brake...will this cause me trouble with the rear calipers?

Thanks,

Tim

BTW...for speed and handling, the ZX blows (stock anyway). I have a ZXT and a 240Z. The Z is much more nimble, but obviously the ZXT has more grunt, but it's such a wallowing pig, that it's not as much fun to drive...it'll need to go on a diet (as does it's driver!), and get some serious suspension mods.....nice commuter, though, because of the soft ride.... I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too (oops, there goes the diet) :D

Guest zline
I swapped in a set of rear calipers from an 83zxt parts car w/ the maxima brackets into my 77 and no problems yet... knock on wood :bonk:

Do you have the E-brake hooked up? I have heard that the e-brake is necessary for keeping the pads adjusted up to the rotors? I won't be running an E-brake...will this cause me trouble with the rear calipers?

Thanks' date='

Tim

BTW...for speed and handling, the ZX blows (stock anyway). I have a ZXT and a 240Z. The Z is much more nimble, but obviously the ZXT has more grunt, but it's such a wallowing pig, that it's not as much fun to drive...it'll need to go on a diet (as does it's driver!), and get some serious suspension mods.....nice commuter, though, because of the soft ride.... I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too (oops, there goes the diet) :D[/quote']

shut up tim..if anyoen needs a diet its my fatass!! lets do another heart clogger?