HybridZ

Switching brands

Guest greimann

Guest greimann

Next week I'll take the keys of a '94 Porsche 968. After putting my hand through another big rust hole in the floor pan of my ZX last week, I decided to call my bluff and get another sports car. In case you haven't seen a 968 on the road very often, it's because during their production run from '92 to '95, only 4600 cars made it to the U.S., 2400 were coupes and 2200 cabriolets.

What is going to become of my ZX? I haven't decided yet, but the motor needs to be rebuilt and I have a feeling that once it comes out, it won't go back in again if you get my drift.

kingsley-smith_richard_00.jpg

Guest greimann

That picture is not the actual car, just one I found on the web.

I have to say that the Z car series has fine tuned my taste in vehicles. The long nose, curvy, hatchback is a style that looks great and yet few manufacturers are making them. It's not like I haven't been a loyal fan of the Z. I owned the car for 19 years, and have 9 years and 60k miles on a V8 conversion. The sad fact is the car is rotting out from underneath (Dan Juday can attest to that!) and it is not worth a full up restoration. It still drives as good as it did a year ago, but the motor is using a quart of SAE 60 every 500 miles. Sometimes euthanaisa is better than life support. Or better yet - organ donor!

Guest greimann

I can appreciate that parts will be more pricy, but I am fairly handy with a wrench, acetylene torch and duct tape, so labor is all on me. Heck, I only put 5k miles a year on my personal car so this one should last me close to retirement! (I'm 42 now :wink: ) It's more a matter of wanting a more refined GT. Working AC, great brakes with ABS, good gas mileage, the whole package.

There is neat technology packaged into the car: 3.0L 4 banger putting out 236 HP. Vario-cam (German Vtec) valvetrain, alloy control arms, transaxle for a 50-50 balance, probably lots more I haven't even discovered yet. Electric everything and still only a little above 3000 lbs.

Maby I'll keep the ZX for the occasional torque fix!

Guest Slvrhase

I used to own an '87 944 and I have to agree with Dave, they are somewhat reliable, well optioned, and good looking GT's. I would hate to see you give up Z's all together, you have done wonders with a car that is considered somewhat of a stepchild, but it would be hard for me to resist, also! That 944 I had was the only car I have ever been in that you could do 100mph and it didn't sound or feel like it. Absolutely no increase in wind noise! Good luck with it and enjoy!! :D

Good move, Dave!! It's funny because I've been looking a 944's lately on ebay myself, I used to own one and still miss it because they are terrific cars. The handling is very forgiving and the platform itself is much more rigid than a Z, stable at the speed of your choosing. That chassis mated to a V8 would be one of the only cars I'd consider dropping my Z for. You may have seen this one on ebay, it's a modded turbo that'll pull 1.08g's on street tires and is faster than last year's viper, Z06, etc:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2431035181&category=6434

I wouldn't DARE go this fast in my Z! Enjoy the car, lucky guy. :cheers:

i-7_B_L.JPG

If a refined GT is a priority, it’s hard to argue against a later-model non-hybrid. While remarkable performance gains can be obtained from swaps, especially big-engine-into-small-car swaps, even maintaining the stock level of refinement is a challenge, let alone improving it to the point of being comparable to modern vehicles. As in most situations, probably the best approach is two cars – the GT cruiser and the hybrid bruiser.

Personally I decided that comfort, reliability and economy are too difficult to combine with serious performance. The result of that is driving sub-$3000 boring econoboxes on a daily basis, enjoying the >30 mpg and the cheap insurance, while leaving the performance aspirations to the Z.

Dont concern yourself w/brand changing: what matters is that you are happy w/what you are driving.

I remember the only other sports GT, non-Amercian, car I have ever driven: it was a Porsche.

I dont remember what model it was: it was in the mid 80's. It was white with one of those whale tales in the back. My sister's boyfriend drove it up the drive and threw the keys at me & told me to take it for a drive.

That was an eye opening test drive. 60mph and only in 2nd gear(?)! I too experienced the feeling of doing 100+ w/out actually feeling like the engine was under a strain.

It was also humerous how brainless people are. People that wouldnt give me the time of day (in my fist Z at that time) were now giving me the time of day. :roll:

I remember that test drive. That was a fun car: very well balanced.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)