HybridZ

Dyno-ed the car today

Z-Gad

Well, I have had so many people ask me, "How much horsepower are you making?" and "Have you had it on a dyno yet?", so I figured I should take it out and have it checked before the weekend. I also wanted to do some minor tuning since I haven't been able to keep the rear end together the last 2 times I went to the drag strip :x

Anyway, in case you didn't know, new round of mods included T-66 turbo, external wastegate, and 550cc injectors. Well, on a Dynojet at 19 psi, and slight miss at ~3900 rpm's ... max RWHP = 363.4 and max torque = 412.3

I am pleased with the numbers, seeing as how I have not had much time to tune the car and still have room to grow as I get the air/fuel straightened out and turn up the boost :twisted:

See you all in Reynolds :D

Oh by the way, it was done by a bunch of good ole boys (great guys) at a Corvette shop. After the run and stepping out of my car, the guy said, "This thing moves right along!". They just finished dynoing an 96 Impala SS with a 396 and a supercharger at 13psi. He was running kinda rich and made 370 HP /370 TQ. Their eyes got pretty big after seeing my run. It made me feel pretty good :D

Very nice numbers Mike. I found out through the grapevine that you were up there. Oddly enough the guy I bought my Z from knows the Corvette shop owner very well and I got a call from him telling me about a white 77 Turbo 280Z that was on the dyno. I almost left work early but the thought of getting accross town on a Friday afternoon just sucked. Maybe next time.

Man Jeff, news travels fast :D

Clifton:

P-trim

.58 a/r turbine side.

Anyone else interested...

Just returned from reynolds...

No 11 second pass for me yet as I was kinda babying it off the line so I would not break the CV's again, but ran a days best of 12.2 @ 122.8 :roll:

Anyone else interested...

Just returned from reynolds...

No 11 second pass for me yet as I was kinda babying it off the line so I would not break the CV's again' date=' but ran a days best of 12.2 @ 122.8 :roll:[/quote']

Nice # on the Dyno and at the Track. What are you going to do to get into the 11's without breaking CV's?

That is the dilemma I have now...

If I were to switch to an automatic tranny, then I could probably keep the CV's. If I chose to continue with a manual transmission, then I feel I will have to change the rear to something stronger... :roll:

If it's the joint you are breaking you might want to try talking to Bobby Long http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/. Toyota use Birfields (Toyota talk for CV joint) on the front axles. He welds a ring around the bell end and heat treats the inner cage, aleast doubling the strength. I broke 3 stock ones in less than 6 months and have yet to break one of his in over a year. He is the savior of the Toyota axle in the rock crawling world. I don't know if he would do a couple for other applications but it would be cheaper than swapping out rear suspensions.

Clifton, have you seen the video? They hook birfields into a jig and pull on them with a lever and a FORKLIFT. The "super" birfields shear the axle shaft (and they have big shafts) before the CV breaks. AMAZING!

Lots of Toyota guys are trying to get Dana 44 axles to fit into the front, I'd go Super Birf anyday.

Great idea about having him do a ZX CV. I'm sure they would be bulletproof if he will do them.

Jon

Clifton' date=' have you seen the video?

Jon[/quote']

I friend bought a pair and showed me the video, :shock: unbelievable. A week later I had a pair. D44's are a little better as Toy axles can't turn worth a shit and the gears a smaller and tend to break but the joint is no longer the weak link.

Well, I am running 235/60/15 BFG's deflated to 18 psi (grab very well when hot), viscous LSD and trying to slip the clutch to launch the car under boost at ~ 5k rpm's. I was able to do it before and pull 1.8x 60' times, but I am making more torque now and when the DR's grab, the weak link pops up... the outer CV housing...

Hey Clifton, do you remember off hand what the price on the axles cost you? I am weighing rear end options and would like to consider that one as well...

regards,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...