HybridZ

L6 pollution of TURBO/SUPERCHARGER forum

DAW

In keeping with the philosophy of the site, I for one, would like to see discussions of turbos on L6 engines taken to some site that exists elsewhere on the web, e.g., ZCAR.com, rather than crowding out the turbocharged/supercharged V8 discussions from that forum. It appears that there are very few V8s discussed in that forum so perhaps it should be eliminated altogether as it is not a pertinent performance topic re Hybrid Z objectives. A gray area is whether the turbocharged V6 topics should be banned or just the inline 6 topics. Maybe the limitation should be set at OHV discussions and restrict OHC engine discussions, most of which are re Nissan engines anyway, as they do not meet the Hybrid Z ideal. Who's ever seen an L6 powered 240Z go faster than a SBC powered Z anyway? It just doesn't happen. I'm calling Bravo Sierra. DAW

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I'm sad to admit I HAVE seen a 350 powered Z get its ASS handed to it by an L6 NON turbo-ed Z. About 10 years ago, but I saw it none the less.

We're gonna have to look at this one. Everyone knows we are trying to get a better grip on our growth and we've made some changes recently to that end. Not sure I'm ready to upset the applecart we just restacked.

Mike 8)

So...if I'm understanding right...by that thinking...

Shouldn't blown/turbocharged/supercharged V8's be limited to the V8 section since they are V8's and not be allowed to post in the turbocharger section?

If you alienate turbocharged 6's in HybridZ you will lose alot of members...we all enjoy the V8's here, but, if a poll was taken I'm sure that you'll find the I6's heavily outnumber the V8's.

The reason you don't see that many V8's discussed in the turbocharger section is because there simply are not that many forced inducted V8 Z's here.

Why rock the boat if it's already sailing smoothly?

Not EVERY V8 powered Z will out run EVERY turbo'd L6. That thinking is just outrageously silly.

...one more thing... I remember seeing a GN 3.8L-T powered Z that ran solid 9's...and it's a V6...if I drop a stock 350Ci in my 280Z, it will run 9's, too...right?

Ok...I spent about 45 seconds to find two relatively quick Z's...both are members of this site...

In one corner we have an LT1 powered 240Z owned by site member mas280...in this thread ( http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26504 ) we see he runs a 12.5@107 (respectable for any car)...

and in the other corner we find Turbo 240Z. On his website you'll find his timeslips...he's running a turbocharged L6 that runs 11.15@126 http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/

...DAW, you're pretty respected here, and I understand that...but, I think in this case your vision is a little clouded on what the HybridZ ideal is.

By definition, a Hybrid Z is a Z with parts from various makes/models/years.

hy·brid ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hbrd)

n.

Genetics. The offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races.

Something of mixed origin or composition.

Something, such as a computer or power plant, having two kinds of components that produce the same or similar results.

A word whose elements are derived from different languages

DAW,

What are you talking about man? The majority of L6'ers in the turbo forums are doing stuff to the turbo engines that originally dont belong. If you cut those people off, which i gotta say are probably 50% of this site, ......take it from there.

L6 pollution of TURBO/SUPERCHARGER forum

I for one, would like to see discussions of turbos on L6 engines taken to some site that exists elsewhere on the web,

A gray area is whether the turbocharged V6 topics should be banned

Im a bit confused? the forum TURBO/SUPERCHARGER does not say V8 only! or NON L28 only! and to imply a L28 engine with a turbo is not a Hybrid is Insane! There is one member here that I know personally that has a 280z with a L28 motor Only the block is "Stock" the head is a P90 from a different year, has a Maxima deisel Crank, 3.1 litter bore, T66 turbo, just ordered a Spearco Intercooler, the seats are from a different car and does an easy 12.2, just last night he told me he finally dyno'd the car and is pushing 360 WHP! and some 400+ foot lbs of Torque! If that ain't a Hybrid Z I don't know what is!

Ok DAW, Ill take the stand here and tell you like this before the topic gets closed, hopefully it does.

Ive taken down TWO V8Zs, one is from the forum (remains nameless), and the other one got it official-AT THE TREE (not a member of the board, but both were JTRs). And take this, in a turbo 280z, not a 240z!!!!!! And Yes the V8z cars were both 240z cars, ooooooooohhhhhhhh.............YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH....

Dont do it, youll lose a lot of members, and a lot more prospective ones as well.

I sugest http://www.classiczcars.com as a forum for stock L28 and L28et swaps' date=' I go back and forth alot and a lot of the l28 questions people ask could easily be answered with a quick search on [url']www.classiczcars.com[/url] forums. Both have great moderators and tons of knowedgable folks.

Bw

I've been there, have an account. Sorry, the knowledge and experience pales in comparison to here. And the purists there run rampant.

I think this is an issue of respect. On one hand I see a respected member of this site basically disrespecting other respected members of this site.

I hope this topic gets deleted soon and I hope that at least a slight hint of apology is made. If not to those that have been disrepected, at least to the owners of the site.

The admins and owners of this site have worked too hard on building it into what it is to allow the narrow minded to desecrate it.

On the other hand, if this topic continues, respect will be lost (even more than it has been) and the possibility of splitting the membership is possible.

I think I could speak for most of the L6 guys here when I say that I find it funny that none of the L6 guys feel threatened by the v8 people here. We respect you and share your love of fast z-cars. However it seems to be the opposite for at least some of the V8 members. I'm not understanding this.

I think there are two ways to solve this problem. Either we resolve the conflict and coexist peacefully, OR embrace the conflict and have a HYBRIDZ V8 vs. HYBRID 6 CYLINDER showdown! Take it to the quarter!

I mean if the prejudice is based on the belief that an L6 z will never beat a V8z then let the schooling begin! Let's just hope that James doesn't catch wind of this thread. I've seen the trash talk he's capable of . . . :D and the car to back it up!!

I for one, would like to see discussions of turbos on L6 engines taken to some site that exists elsewhere on the web, e.g., ZCAR.com, rather than crowding out the turbocharged/supercharged V8 discussions from that forum.

Huh?

Who's ever seen an L6 powered 240Z go faster than a SBC powered Z anyway? It just doesn't happen. I'm calling Bravo Sierra. DAW

:lol: Good one DAW! Had me going there for a second! :wink:

I'm certainly going to follow with Sleeper here.

Although my car is not the idel hybrid by any means it does represent what can be done by swapping parts from different years in the Nissan and Datsun bloodline. Is that not a Hybrid? Thats just the way I've choosen to build my car. I would hate to think that I could no longer post questions or answers about the L series motors in the Turbo/Supercharger forum. That one forum is my favorite place on the web. I don't think I've ever seen anyone post anything negative about a SBC in that forum so I don't see why it is felt that the L series motors are crowding out the forum. If you ask me as far as this is concerned the more the merrier.

Well, the more I've thought about it the more I think this needs to be addressed. I've had a feeling like this or something like it was going to come up. Lets deal with it and get it over with. The decision makers need to make the decision and make it public record what ever that is.

I want to again say I would like the site to stay as it is. I enjoyed it more when there were more forums but, I understand the reasoning behind the consolidation of the site and the direction of most of it. If there were a place on the web that had the same members and you could get the same information then I wouldn't have as much of a hard time with being kicked out of a large portion of the site. As of right now there is no place on the web or anywhere else in the world that you can get the same information with the good nature that is the character of this site.

Yeah, I knew something like would eventually happen...but, I figured it'd be by some noob member that has been here like a day, rather than a long time member that has been around for awhile and become familiar with how quick some of the L6's are here.

I still can't believe that this topic was even started.

maybe we should leave it to all the supercharged and turbo v8 zcars to vote. Ive had both, and wont do the v8 again, just because Im addicted to BOOST, and an oath Ive made that if I go with a v8, its a big block or its no block.