HybridZ

New Acquisition to be...

Mikelly

Well It has come that time, the boy is 16. He has done his home work, and has found that he is an import kinda kid... Does he go out and follow the heard?

No.

He wants an MR2. So we have located an original owner non-turbo 1993 model that is a california car. All White, and loaded with a brand new 5 speed and clutch kit. It is clean, and has been well cared for, even though it has a ton of miles... Guy has a binder an inch thick of the stuff he has done to it since buying it. It is a Ttop car, and is stock.

We're going to pick it up this weekend for $4500. It will be in the wife and my name's until he is out of school... Surprisingly, the insurance to add the car and him on it is only an additional $1100 per year including full coverage on the car.

I couldn't think about him being in a front driver... And I know it is a sporty car, but it only makes 111 HP... So I'm hoping it won't be too much enticement for him to get in trouble...

Being the parent of a 16 year old is the most nervous I've ever been... :shock:

Mike

Thats not a bad choice for a first sporty car, I have been in one before, its pretty slow (for hybridz standards, lol) but it handles great and is fun to drive, parts are going to be expensive tho, and they aren't at all practical, also from my friends experinence working them is a pain, not much room to really get in there. Nice buy tho, put up some pics when u get it!

Mike, i want to tell ya this as i have had MR2's, and drievn them in all sorts of racing/ driving...

the cars are very tricky.. yep they sure are.

they have snap oversteer, and if you go into a turn to fast and you dont no how to drive well you start to spin...

now im not saying ur son cant drive, im just saying it is tricky...

ive spun out alot in these cars, and im lucky to be here today because i kinda knew what i was doing...

now its a bigger problem on 1991's.. but the newer ones do it too..

there GREAT CARS!!!!!!! and can be made fast, and do everything a hybridZ want to do.

its a safe car IF you dont abuse it.

i wish you and him the best of luck.

any questions let me no and ill try and see if i can help you out.

mike

My cute little socialite cheerleader daughter is turning 16 next month and actually asked for a Ford Ranger pickup :?::!:

Can't figure that one out. She is definitely NOT a tom boy. I expected a request for some little ricer with custom daisey wheels and a CD player. I didn't argue. Rangers are cheap to buy and cheap to insure! Bought a nice little truck last month and now I have another vehicle to haul crap to the dump and pick up more car parts.

I am much more afraid of the teenage boys hanging around my house than I am to have her behind the wheel. :roll:

Guest bastaad525

Hate to add at all to the worry here but I agree with ON3GO, your son will need to understand that a car with engine in the rear is a totally different beast than anything he's probably ever driven before, I've driven one and you can really feel it pushing out back if you lean into it hard... I never got one to spin but people I know who have say it comes on very suddenly, no warning really before it just goes. If you feel at all that your son might be inclined to show off to friends or drive it like a race car you may want to consider getting something else....

I've heard that the oversteer problem can be corrected by installing a decent set of front shocks. This prevents excessive weight transfer to the front and the resulting oversteer.

You might also check out one of the "driver education" schools like Skip Barber. I did that last summer and it was a blast, I'm much more confient(not reckless) about driving, knowing how to handle/control oversteer is nice. Also, its a ton of fun, the my favorite part was actually the trucks, going round and round on the skid pad.

Take to an autocross and let him feel the car out (some what safely).

I definately agree with that.

But remind him that autox tracks generally have better and more predictabble traction than real world street conditions.

$4500 seems like a steal for an MR2 of that year. Around here they go for about $7500 for the N/A versions.

Guest bastaad525

There is an article in an old issue of Sport Compact car that gives some very detailed info on how to cure the oversteer problem. It was part of one of their 'buyers guides' that they do up for old cars sometimes.

Wow, Good comments... We did research and we got power rating from 111hp up to 135hp. I took the lower rating because I got it from a fairly reliable dyno source.

Yup, we're aware of the oversteer issues and Eibachs and tokicos will be on the car before he drives it alone, AND we are going to sign him up for a driving school in the spring.

I realized a while back while walking through a junk yard that it doesn't matter. Kids are getting into accidents driving every type of vehicle known to man. My theory is and always has been education. He will drive aggressively in the car, ANY car. If I arm him with one that will handel it better, via brakes and improved handling, and stick to the NO HORSE POWER mods rule we have instituted, then I feel his chances will be better.

Hopefully it will be the right move. Education is the answer, I'm convinced. Teach him how to properly drive, and he will survive.

Mike 8)

Great car! I autocrossed a 1991 NA hard top for a year. As with any mid engined car, they have a low polar MOI which means its hard to get them to oversteer, but once they do you need fast hands. As long as your son knows what to do and reacts immediately he should be fine. They are easy to drive at the limit and clearly communicate what's going on with grip.

Don't overheat the car, watch the front anti-roll bar mounts, careful witht he 3rd gear synchros, and the exhaust systems rust out easy. Also, they don't need as much tire as others. Its easy to "overtire" the car and create unpredictable handling. Same is true with springs and shocks. Think "supple", not "stiff."

Locally Eric and Mari Clements are thinking about selling their ES national championship 1991 MR2. I've been seriously thinking about buying it but I need yet another car like a need a hole in the head.

Great choice with the mods. I'm telling, I learned to drive in a 70HP Honda Civic Hatch. We've since lowered it with Eibachs, put Tokico blues on (if I would have known earlier, I would have gone with Illuminas or Konis), bigger front brakes, and 15" wheels w/ Kumho 712s (Handle well for the price, and are excellent in the rain). Having so little power allowed me to drive hard and still stay out of trouble. I wonder if a skidpad type situation would really help understand the limits of the car. Also a little discussion on suspenion theory and that simple inputs or small road irregularities can easily upset the chassis, and send the car spinning. Just a few suggestions from someone who is now going on two and a half years with their license.

Well I hate to brag, but he isn't your average kid when it comes to cars. He has given me assistance in the garage more times than I can remember and he has actually helped me with suspension work and with layouts on the control arms I have built for members here. He has more knowledge of suspension geometry and theory than the average bear, and he asks questions.... LOTS of Questions! A normal project takes twice as long because, to put it in his words " I want to know what you know about XXX!"

Two weeks ago we put new struts and Eibach springs on our 90 civic, and he learned a bunch!

It was Craig who pointed out the suspension handling characteristics of the MR2 to me... He came to me with a list of mods he wants to do and I started nixing them off the list... until he started educating me! :lol: The wife just shook her head and said "See what you have created?!"

I think he'll be fine. We will be putting him into an entro drivers course through Summit point as soon as spring arrives...

Mike 8)