HybridZ

Honda S2000 vs 240zt vs Honda hatch(swap motor)

240zprace

my younger brother told me these guys are always talking smack about how their cars can smoke mine. me, honestly i'm a lot older than my brother, so i dont like racing too much. but he said these fools are calling me out to race with them. so last weekend i went and meet up wiht them. we're out in the countryside, about 8 cars showed up including my baby. i could here them talking who wants to run me 1st. this s2000 pulls up and he wanted to run me. from what i've heard his car runs in the 13s. ok, lined up with him, off the launch pulled about 1 car ahead of him. 2nd gear pulled real fast away from him, 4th gear i was close to ten cars ahead of him. NOT EVEN A RACE AT ALL.....

came back this civic hatchback w/gsr motor lined up with me. funny, i did the same thing i did to the s2000

after that they were all quiet no talking. this youngster walks up to me and said, "you've got a fast car, especially in 2nd gear how fast you pulled away from those guy. i said thanks. now my brother is always talking smack to those guys about how i smoked both their cars.

as of me, got alot of crap off my chest that night. LOVE MY Z

72 240zt

Guest bastaad525

I'm another one who loves to hear about Z's putting the smack on ricers and their rides... the S2000 isn't rice but that depends on who actually owns and drives the thing. I've put the smack on three of those now, though they were a lot closer then 240zprace's 'race'. Problem is it's hard to launch an S2000 and be as fast as the car has the potential of being, w/o launching at some rediculous RPM and putting stress on the drivetrain.

The other day some guy tried to race me in an accord (!!!!) I was just cruising along and he pulled up next to me and matched speeds, then I hear him rev a couple times, then he floors it and starts to pull away... I"m just ignoring the guy... he gets about a car ahead then slows back down getting side by side, and does it again... I'm like 'screw this guy' so I throw it in 2nd and floor it, by the time I hit 5500rpm I'm so far gone from this guy... he pulls next to me at the next red light and yells "man I got an RX7 just WAITING for you!!! It's in the shop right now but when it's done you better watch out! Be ready to get your ass beat!" and I'm like "yeah just be sure and turn the boost up a few pounds" and he just gives me a blank confused look like what am I talking about... heheh I hope I DO catch him in his RX7 one day... judging by his look when I mentioned boost I'm sure he's REAL fast :)

Thats one thing I love about Z's, well i'm not sure if its the same for all gearboxes. But I love being able to chuck it back a gear and wind it out and the engine loves it. For instance, my pretty much stocko Z gets to 100kph (60mph) just before yellow line in 2nd.

THAT is one of the reasons I want to finish my 2nd V8 Z build. My olderst stepson has never had the experience of riding in such a well prepped and fast car. My youngest has and knows.

These cars are SOOO light and it is SOOO easy to either boost them, or swap some serioous cubes into them and just abuse the locals. Unfortunately, in my area you better have at least 400HP on tap, because we've got some serious contenders out there, and a few of them are driving integras and civics. They ARE out there, just very few and very far between.

It is funny... My stepson's girlfriend would look at his motor (B18B1) and then look at my 383 Stroker shortblock and just give him grief... To qoute her; "Size DOES matter!"

Mike :D:D

Guest bastaad525
Thats one thing I love about Z's, well i'm not sure if its the same for all gearboxes. But I love being able to chuck it back a gear and wind it out and the engine loves it. For instance, my pretty much stocko Z gets to 100kph (60mph) just before yellow line in 2nd.

*sigh* too bad my first gear synchro is apparently starting to go out... it doesn't grind or anything but I just can't put it into first if I'm moving much above 15 or maybe 20mph... it's REALLY bad when it's cold... but even warm it is kinda hard to get it in there. Though it doesn't grind, if I try to shift into first at speed like that before the shifter actually goes into gear, I can hear a high pitched whine noise, which I guess is the synchro spinning up to speed? Sucks if I'm trying to power out of really tight low speed turns....

Oh and with my '82 tranny and the 3.54 diff, I hit 60 at about 5400 rpm in 2nd... man I love that :)

Thats one thing I love about Z's' date=' well i'm not sure if its the same for all gearboxes. But I love being able to chuck it back a gear and wind it out and the engine loves it. For instance, my pretty much stocko Z gets to 100kph (60mph) just before yellow line in 2nd.[/quote']

*sigh* too bad my first gear synchro is apparently starting to go out... it doesn't grind or anything but I just can't put it into first if I'm moving much above 15 or maybe 20mph... it's REALLY bad when it's cold... but even warm it is kinda hard to get it in there. Though it doesn't grind, if I try to shift into first at speed like that before the shifter actually goes into gear, I can hear a high pitched whine noise, which I guess is the synchro spinning up to speed? Sucks if I'm trying to power out of really tight low speed turns....

Oh and with my '82 tranny and the 3.54 diff, I hit 60 at about 5400 rpm in 2nd... man I love that :)

I remember my 2nd gear synchro was stuffed, I couldn't go down from 3rd to 2nd any higher than 3000 rpm. I would just go CRUNCH! So my parents replaced the gearbox before I learnt to drive in it.

Guest Phailure
Thats one thing I love about Z's' date=' well i'm not sure if its the same for all gearboxes. But I love being able to chuck it back a gear and wind it out and the engine loves it. For instance, my pretty much stocko Z gets to 100kph (60mph) just before yellow line in 2nd.[/quote']

Try driving an ls1... my dad's vette can atleast make it to 70+ before hitting the redline in second gear. My brother and I raced his car (VW Corrado G60) and the vette after my brother got his rebuilt s/c. With a 2nd gear start. They would be even untill the Corrado's second gear ends. Then the vette just blows by.

Thats one thing I love about Z's' date=' well i'm not sure if its the same for all gearboxes. But I love being able to chuck it back a gear and wind it out and the engine loves it. For instance' date=' my pretty much stocko Z gets to 100kph (60mph) just before yellow line in 2nd.[/quote'']

I remember my 2nd gear synchro was stuffed, I couldn't go down from 3rd to 2nd any higher than 3000 rpm. I would just go CRUNCH! So my parents replaced the gearbox before I learnt to drive in it.

redline MT90. I can to 6k rpm downshift no crunch :D

Guest bastaad525

that's the weird thing though.. I've had synchros go out before and the gears would definately grind if you tried to downshift when going too fast. But this one will not grind... it just wont go in...

that's the weird thing though.. I've had synchros go out before and the gears would definately grind if you tried to downshift when going too fast. But this one will not grind... it just wont go in...

Check your clutch adjustment. I know mine would have a hard time downshifting into second, and it was just my clutch pickup being all the way on the floor. Try the Redline MTL too, that may help.

Guest bastaad525

That used to be a problem but now I have a good amount of free room at the bottom of the clutch pedal travel... it's definately disengaging all the way with the pedal all the way down.

If I"m going anything over 20mph it just does not want to go into 1st... and downshifting into 2nd at 20 leaves me at some absurd low RPM and have to fight lag to get back up onto boost. This is partially the fault of the 3.54 diff... I dont think this diff would work well for autocross with such wide spacing between gears. I did find, today on my way to work, that if I really carefully blip the throttle up and hold it around 3-4k I can downshift into 1st quite a bit easier though it still feels forced. Kinda hard to do for me though if I'm slowing down... I have never even attempted the heel and toe technique (that's what it's called right?) of holding the throttle and brakes down at the same time... was trying it today along with double clutching before trying to pop it into 1st, and felt like a real racecar driver (my Z often makes me feel like that :D )

I just changed the tranny lube a week ago... thinking that would solve the problem. I wish I had thought about the Redline then... probably would have been out of my price range at the time anyways, that stuffs really pricey isn't it?