HybridZ

'05 C6 vette rumored to have 625hp

auxilary

from a 427cid supercharged v8. *plop* at 2900lbs. for 100k.

THE 2005 C6 CORVETTE hasn’t even been officially introduced, but the Corvette development team is already hard at work on future, high-performance variants, including a wild 600-plus horsepower Ford GT-fighter known internally as “Blue Devil.â€

While chief engineer Dave Hill has publicly announced the Z06 version of the next-gen Vette due in 2005 will have 500 hp, his engine team wasn’t sure until recently that they could actually achieve that impressive figure. Sources now say that it will be a case of “nothing beats cubic inches†with 95 extra horses (compared to today’s 405-hp Z06) coming as a result of boring and stroking the next-gen Chevy small-block V8 to 427 cubic inches—7.0 liters. Not since the late-1960s has that magic number of cubes been under a Corvette’s composite hood (though there were some 454s along the way).

More important, Chevy is clearly investigating an ultra-performance Corvette designed to do battle with—and conquer—the mid-engined GT from rival Ford, as well as many supercars from across the pond. Called Blue Devil (no one knows why it has that name—could it be Chevy hopes to bedevil Ford’s blue oval?), unofficial stats make the name seem appropriate. Reportedly producing 625 hp, Blue Devil’s initial power will come from a supercharged 427 engine—and it will use lightweight carbon fiber for key body parts, reducing weight by several hundred pounds to drop the super C6 to about 2900 pounds.

The price indicated on the internal documents is $100,000 for Blue Devil, if and when it actually makes production in 2006—at the earliest. We wonder whether the Devil’s chances of seeing light are further improved following product czar Bob Lutz’s comments that he’d like to see a Chevy-badged car like the 2002 Cadillac Cien concept.

General Motors officials aren’t connecting the dots and saying this is a “go,†but the high-performance heart of Blue Devil is the kind of specialized, high-content engine project envisioned for the General’s new Performance Build Center set to open shop next year in Wixom, Michigan. The center is intended to attack projects with “a sort of race team mentality,†says Ed Koerner, vice president of GM Powertrain engineering operations.

Patterned after low-volume race shops, the center could build up to 10,000 powerplants per year for very specific, high-end, high-performance GM vehicles. Koerner says engines from the shop should appear in showroom vehicles by 2005.

http://www.autoweek.com/search/search_display.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&content_code=08555349&Search_Type=STD&Search_ID=1754452&record=16

I think it was 2000 or 01 gm re-introduced the ZL1 copo camaro. that had the alluminum 427 C5R engine in it producing around 600 hp NA. I think the price tag was between 100 - 130k. I wonder if the supercharging of the corvete is an attempt at reducing the cost of the engine? sounds pretty BA all the way around though.s

They have to do something to compete with the Viper and the new Ford GT. Chevy has lost the edge. In making the car emissions legal, they corked it up good on the C5s.

If they want to remain a world class car, they will have to step up... Hell the Ford Cobra SVT almost has as much pny power as the Z06! :shock:

Mike

I think it was 2000 or 01 gm re-introduced the ZL1 copo camaro. that had the alluminum 427 C5R engine in it producing around 600 hp NA. I think the price tag was between 100 - 130k. I wonder if the supercharging of the corvete is an attempt at reducing the cost of the engine? sounds pretty BA all the way around though.s

450_pic.jpg

Actually, I believe the ZL1 camaro was for 2001-2 year change, with the ls6 motor and z06 wheels making 405hp. Also had Z06 brakes. They made 400 such units.

The Phase III is the portion you're talking about, and not available to general public. more info here:

http://www.gmmginc.net/html/zl1427_info.html

The original 427 powered zl-1 camaro was produced in '69

ENGINE

Type..........V-8, aluminum block and heads

Bore x stroke..........4.25 x 3.76 in, 108.0 x 95.5mm

Displacement.......... 427cid, 6993cc

Compression ratio..........12.0:1

Carburetion..........1x4-bbl Holley 850cfm

Emissions controls..........auxiliary air pump

Valve gear..........pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder, solid lifters

Power (SAE gross)..........430 bhp @ 5200 rpm

Torque (SAE gross)..........450 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm

yea, thats the one I was talking about. I saw 4-5 of them at Chevy Vette Fest this year. I did not realize that they were not avalable to the general public. the owners had the window stickers displayed so it seemed like it was just a realy expensive package. they all had a full roll cages, and 5 point harneses along with all the other goodies.

but not available to the public was the basic concept of the 69 ZL1, and all the copo's for that matter. hence the name copo (central office production order)

I like to see the Big 3 with cars like this but like Mikelly said, they are behind the curve. Dodge has had the Viper around for awhile but I don't think it has the respect that the European super cars have.

Hopefully Ford's GT can put some whuppins on the Anglo's in what ever racing series it will (hopefully) compete in. Like it did in the 60's?

The stock LS1 can be boosted to 540 RWHP at 9 psi with minimal modifications. That works out to about 635 HP at the flywheel. Take a Z06 motor, bore & stroke it out to 383 ci, drop the CR to about 8.3:1 and boost it to about 13 psi and it will be making close to 700 RWHP. GM can achieve the 500 going the NA route and probably even the 600 without boosting - but - $100k??? The point is that anyone can slap a $6,000 intercooled procharger on a stock Z06 motor and run with them which is a lot less than $100k. Obviously there is a lot more involved than just the motor.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
God help the 40-something, middle age crisis, recently divorced males. They are going to kill themselves in droves - like Lemmings to the cliff.

Or kill others because they are driving too fast like jackasses and plow into someone with nice cars like ours.

BTW, if they want that much power out of an engine, I got two words "Hemi Heads!" :rockon:

http://www.dragracingonline.com/technical/v11-sonny-1.html

(I couldnt find the specs from when Chevy toyed with Hemi heads back in the 70's, (I believe it was), when they got like 750 HP out of a 427)

Too bad it never saw production..

They have to do something to compete with the Viper and the new Ford GT. Chevy has lost the edge. In making the car emissions legal' date=' they corked it up good on the C5s.

If they want to remain a world class car, they will have to step up... Hell the Ford Cobra SVT almost has as much pny power as the Z06! :shock:

Mike[/quote']

Actually...most of them do make as much power. The SVT's are just pigs when it comes to weight and don't handle nearly as well :D

GM is going to need to step it up. At least the GTO is out.