HybridZ

R200 LSD UPDATES.. YES bought a rear end!!!!

Guest ON3GO

Back to the phantom grip, I heard they aren't very smooth but value for the price they can't be beat, 3 or 4 people told me they were more than happy with the results. Personnaly tho I know next to nothing about them apart from their site and a few magazine articles.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed out big the other day, there was a 87 turbo with everything but the diffy :cry:

Im going to try out a phantom grip though, hopefully it will let me drift.

Have an 3.7 tt r230 with cvs and the driveshaft (BEEF) and may or may not do that swap later, that thing is huge...

Guest huskers

Only the 87, 88, and 89 300zx turbos had the r200 LSD?

If I had a complete rearend from a 280 z or zx would the r200 LDS swap and the half shafts from the 280 work with the LSD?

No. The ring gear bolts in the earlier diffs are 10mm. The ring gear bolts from the LSD diffs are 12mm. So you would need a sleeve to sit in the carrier to use the LSD with an earlier diff, or a shouldered ring gear bolt. Ross has said that he would make the spacers, but he needs a group to go in on it, or it wouldn't be worth it to him.

The halfshafts do work.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
You can get a Quafie for $1099! Not too bad! :D

Guy

Anyone using the LSD carrier from Nissan Motorsports (NISMO)? Courtesy Nissan lists it for $731.50

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=38420-RS660_Z31&Category_Code=z31_nismo_limitedslip

and has both a 10mm and 12mm version. With used LSD's going for $500 and up (I know they used to be around $300, but I've been watching eBay for several months and seen several go for over $600), seems like a better way to go, ie all new clutches & discs. Anyway, this is the route I plan to take. BTW, any good references on how to install one of these units would be appreciated :wink:

Paul

Wow!! That looks like an awesome deal. You can install that right into the R200 case? If I have been reading correctly my R200 out of my 75 280 should have a 12mm ring gear which is required for this application? Right?

EDIT: After looking around their web site it looks like they have a 10mm vesion as well for the R200.

Also that part is listed as you said for a 300zxt, there is THIS ONE (10mm) listed for the 280Z R200

I guess I'm confused :oops: ....again!!

Wow!! That looks like an awesome deal. You can install that right into the R200 case? If I have been reading correctly my R200 out of my 75 280 should have a 12mm ring gear which is required for this application? Right?

After looking around their web site it looks like they have a 10mm vesion as well for the R200.

My understanding is, yes, if you have an R200 case and gears, you can use a NISMO LSD carrier designed for your 10mm or 12mm ring gear. But, realize that getting the correct gear mesh and backlash is not a trivial matter. A good diff shop should be able to do the install for (from what I've heard) about $100. I'm adventurous, and plan to try it myself :!:

If your R200 is out of a 75 280Z, it is most likely a 10mm style ring gear. My R200 is from an 84 300ZXT and is definitly a 12mm. You can check by removing the rear cover to see if the bolt heads are 14mm hex (10mm bolt) or 17mm hex (12mm bolt)

They also list this one for a 10mm R200

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CP&Category_Code=z31_nismo_limitedslip

Sorry, I don't know what the difference is. Probably should call them.

OK, while I'm at it, the web site describes these LSD's as being set-up with approx 70 ft-lb break-away torque. How does this compare with an OEM '87-89 LSD. Is this a reasonable amount for a street driven car?

Paul

OK, while I'm at it, the web site describes these LSD's as being set-up with approx 70 ft-lb break-away torque.

Nissan Competition recommends 45 ft. lb. breakaway for a road race setup and 70 ft. lb. for an autocross setup. I would go witht eh 45 ft. lb. setting for a street car.

First of all, if you are looking for a new clutch-type LSD (like the Nismo unit, both R180 & 200), you can get them new from http://www.differentials.com (ask for Jimmy) for a little over $500.

As far as breakaway torque, I've run them with 45#, which is the minimum I'd ever want, all the way to 150#, which was a bit stiff but not locked. This was also in a 2200 lbs 510 with 205 race tires, so more weight and more tire would make it softer. For a daily driver, the stock torque is fine. For an autocrosser, I'd recommend at least 75# or so. Just my 2 cents after playing & racing with them for a decade. Hope that helps.

This is what I will be planning to do...

R200 out of a 280ZXT (Good thing I bought that parts car because it came with CV's and the R200)

R200 3.54 (Came with my parts car)

CVs' (Came with my parts car)

MM Adapters (215)

R200 Mustache Bar (10 bucks from pick a part)

Anything else I'm missing?

Does anyone want to save up in the future for some crazy Quaife LSD group buy?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zline

My buddy Matt took apart one of those 300ZX Clutch type LSD

He put 14 clutch & friction plates in it. That thing LOCKS LIKE WOAH!

If you want I'll hook you up with his number, He'll build you one if you supply the parts.

300z carrier & clutch/friction plates.

Thats what I would use in ANY nissan r200 type car s13/14/s30

I'm not sure how much he'd charge for it...but thats about one of your best bang for the buck options.

Just recieved my Precision R200 LSD from Reider Racing. Precision has had a price increase due to the availability of steel in Japan. Still only cost $603. Reider says they have 25 in stock. I also bought a diff out of a 87 300zx which uses the 12 mm bolts so I won't have to worry about using spacers with the 10 mm bolts of earlier diffs. Another advantage to using the later diff is that the bearings are about $100 cheaper. :-D So looks like I'm going to have a rebuilt diff with new bearings, seals, and LSD for less than $1000 including core cost and labor. Kind of a nice alternative to buying a used LSD for $500 or a Quaffe for $1900!