HybridZ

The GNZ Is Dead, Long Live The GNZ

Scottie-GNZ

Well, not exactly dead, but being retired as the GNZ.

As some you now know, I have decided to retire the GNZ and move on to something a little newer and more comfortable. You start thinking like this when you get to my age :wink: The car has proven it is up to the task of handling the kind of "abuse" I whip on it and made another trip to the SEZ without even the hint of a complain or trouble. All the complaints come from the old fart behind the wheel who has gotten soft and wants comfort, cruise, a/c, etc, etc to go along with a wickedly quick but "inexpensive" car. I have been contemplating this for a while and while it is a tough decision, it is one I am ready to accept and deal with.

For those unaware, I rescued the car from a wrecker and ultimately the crusher, some 25 yrs ago, probably before half this board membership was born :D. After 25 yrs, a car like this becomes a part of the family and you also get to know every nut and bolt. I know to some Z loyalist this might seem disloyal, but not only have I been wrenching on this car for 25 yrs, I also owned and built 2 other hybrids. One was a 73 with a Scarab kit/350 and the other a 75 with a JTR/350. The GNZ has evolved from an auto-X/slalom car with a 2.8L NA/5-spd, to a triple Mikunis & cam to L28ET to GN power. What more could I do to it? Those of you that know me know I do this kind of thing as much for the engineering exercise as I enjoy driving it.

Hopefully it will find a new home and performance that is worthy. As for my plans, I intend to continue with the GN drivetrain in an FC RX7. I really wanted to do a 240SX, but I would have had to do a lot of butchering to make it work. Yeah, yeah, I know, why continue with the low-tech, pushrod drivetrain? Why not an RB, 2JZ, SR20 or something more modern? I will when someone has one of those setups in a Z that can match the GN power for performance, relaibility, low-cost and economy. The Z will forever be one of my all-time favorite cars but I will move on to another challenge. Hopefully I am still welcomed to hang out here.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow scottie didnt realize you had that car for so long

as for matched performance i will be close by the end of the summer. my current setup once i get my drivetrain installed should will be in the 10s. a headgasket and a set of turbos with the booste turned up and it will be in the low 10s.

You going with a FC or FD?

WOW!! :shock:

This is calendar marking day!!! That beast is a fixture around here.....hope it finds a good home!!

Good luck with the new project, and I hope you don't become a stranger around these parts!!

Tim

You'll be welcomed here.

May I suggest you look around for a nice late 1970s Datsun 810? The GN engine and drivetrain should fit in just fine and you'll end up with a nice, 4 door GT machine. Something like that is what I'm thinking of doing with my 810...

Wow, This is a true shoker for me since i just met you and the GNZ. I hope you will keep it and not sell it. For good reason you have been not only an innovator but a mentor and a hero for many. And from what i know of Heroes, they never die they just put thier suits in the closet. And i hope you will do the same and keep your noble steed. Franctly id be too attatched to let me baby go to someone who cannot fully appreciate all the work that has gone into it and will just end up trashing it. You will always be welcome in my book.

Just a few thoughts from me ,

Carlos

I kind of lnow where you are coming from Scottie. I Always have to be playing with something. Twice now I have built cars for the road that end up being weekend only check for police first canyon carvers that eventually become undrivable on the road. I am trying not to do that with the 260z but you never know. There should be some interesting engines around soon if you are still into large displacement v6's. Nissan's 4.0 truck engine, Misubishi and isuzu 3.5 v6 gms new 3.8 quad cam about to be released. I bet these engines with a gn style turbo wold be a lot of fun and mabye a new engineering road to go down. Probably cost a lot more than the gn however. Keep us up to date!

Cheers

Douglas

Guest ON3GO

aw man.. your car is so well known.. man. cant just keep it and just not spend any more money on it?

i wish you the best with your new project... also you have a buyer for it?

if not PM me with asking price.

mike

So I guess it's official now. Guys, Scottie wants to get something with more modern creature comforts, wiring, no rust and doesn't suck exhaust fumes into the passenger compartment. His Z would fit the bill but would require a lot of time and money. He's talking about an inexpensive vehicle that already fits the bill without requiring a lot of extra work.

Phew I thought you were going minivan on us !!! Your posts are always great reading and informative, make sure you keep em coming to our board. You never know if you might get the itch for the Z again, it lacks some creature comforts, howver it is one of a kind.

Are you getting neon lights for the undersid of the new car ?? Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

WOW! :shock: I cant believe your leaving the Z! I thought for sure you were a life'r! LOL :wink: I never new what a GN was until I read some of your posts. Now I have come to appreciate the power of a turbo and what you can do if its is done right. You showed me that its not always cubes that wins, sometimes in force induction and good engineering!

Your always welcome here and I hope you still post once an a while. We have seen some of our long time members leave recently for other cars and say they are going to stay but most dont. Dont be a strainger! :D

Oh and are you selling the whole car with drivetrain or just the car and then swaping the drivetrain into the RX7 or 240SX?

Guy

Guest JAMIE T

After seeing the 10.08 ET, you were my new Zcar idol(Sorry Pete :wink: )

I hope you the best. Have you found a buyer? Are you going to use the motor for the next project?

10.08, Damn...

Why not just add the comforts you're looking for. Vintage AC, aftermarket cruise control and all the extras that you want. Would probably be much cheaper than trying to sell the beast and try to redesign everything again on a newer car.

WOW Scottie:

This is the most technically impressive (and fastest) car on the sight. I hope that you would still hang around and dispense some of your wisdom. Many have much to learn. I wish you success in finding your creature comforts now that your in your advanced years! :D

wow, it'll be sad to see you go man! you are an inspiration to us all! hybrid or not, a 240Z in the 10's....... why not just go with a 280zx? should be able to use all your drivetrain and then you'll have the nicer ride, cruise, even a digital dash, if you so desire! lol stick around man, you know you're always welcome here!!

McAdam