HybridZ

Finished my Rotisserie...

About $250 in metal and a lot of labor - most of the metal bought ~2 years ago and it's gone up.

Drilling all the holes tok a while. I learned how to sharpen drill bits by hand before I was finished - even with cooling the bits while drilling...

Don't try it with a cheap benchtop drill press - ask me how I know - OK, I'll tell you - those cheap things from HF on sale for $39 have neither the up and down stroke nor the torque for efficient cutting of 1/4" steel tubing.

I borrowed my dad's Ryobi benchtop and what a difference. I'm sure I was getting the full 1/3 HP from it! - and the stroke was great too!

Oh well, I wont be doing this again, and the cheapo I bought does fine on thinner metal and wood, and is all that I need 0 plus it's a hell of a lot easier to move around necause it's so much lighter...

• 11 months later...

Has anyone ever left the motor in the car and then rotated it with a rotisserie?

I am about to redo my exhaust and I am loathe to crawl around on the floor again. A few hours and a few hundred $ seems worth it to make a rotisserie for this job. However, I'll need to leave the motor in. I don't plan to rotate the car past 90 degrees. Are there any concerns with, for instance, oil leaking past the rings? I can drain the oil (although at $6/qt, ouch) and remove the battery, but you see what I'm getting at.

Guest 305240

Nice job! Some serious rotissier there! I was over to a friends house and looked at his. He had a street rod on his that he was building. I noticed something unique. He had a hand crank made up of a flywheel and starter drive gear. That was sweet. Strictly a one man job. Great work. What they going for? This is your new sideline job now, right?

I second Synlubes sentiment..."If that's how you build your rotisserie, I can't wait to see your car!" Did you powdercoat that thing?! Really beautiful.

I just slapped mine together with two engine stands, not pretty but works fine. I plan on dumping it when I'm done. Yours, on the other hand, I would have to build another garage stall just to 'park' that baby!!

I'm looking around for some stock to make this thing from. Man, steel prices are high. Then I look over at aaalll that DOM rollcage tubing I bought. I bought alot of extra tubing. That stuff was expensive when I bought it (2 yrs ago), but at this point, probably about the same cost as plain mild steel square tube. Plus, I already have it sitting in my garage....

I did not but could have easily left the car completly intact. My rot is mammoth!! Just make sure you drain her dry first!!

What would you attach to? is it strong enough to take the weight? I was hoping for a good way to redo the under coating on my 280zx. I only drive it in the summer, but it is Mn. I know enough people I can get something fabbed w/plans.

No pics of zxt until I get windshield removed and take care of rust in its' framework and then get it sanded and painted - the clearcoat is peeling off. I also need to recondition the ttops.

I wish I had some old pics of it to post, but hard drive crash got'em.

The rotisserie is for my '75 TT V8 project...