>

>

>

> IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT

>

> PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME,

>THE

>

> OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

>

>

>

> AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF

>

> OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL

>

> COMPANIES.

>

>

>

>

>

> THEREFORE, MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR

>BEHIND"

>

> DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF

>GASOLINE

>

> THAT DAY.

>

>

>

> THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS

>MANY

>

> PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

>

>

>

> WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS

>

> NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN

>

> PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

>

>

>

> REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT

>AT

>

> THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING

>COMPANIES

>

> ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING

>THAT

>

> IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL

>SUPPLIES

>

> ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END ? WE DO !

>

>

>

> WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE

>DAY,

>

> WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

>

>

>

> SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO

>EVERYONE

>

> YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE

>

> CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH" !!!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree TIm- a 1-day gas-out is ridiculous. It accomplishes absolutely nothing. However, if everyojne would change their driving styles (slower and lighter foot on throttle) we could have a long-term redctionin fuel consumption of 10-15%. I proved this in my 280ZX by using 2,500 as a shift-point which, combined with a light foot, netted me a 17% improvement in fuel econony. That was about $2/week that didn't go to the gas companies. Multiply that by 100 million drivers and they would notice a $200 million/week drop in revenue - especially when it continued across several months.

One day, you must be kidding, especially since everyone will just fill up the day before or the day after. The system can easily absorb a 1-day reduction in consumption.

Guest Phailure

Well you can't blame everything on the gas companies. The cartel is most likely the one that is raising the prices and gas stations dont really have much of an option.

I was just posting what I saw from another site. Thought it would be interesting.

A strike would really have to go three or more days to make a noticable hit, but to make a difference in the long run, you are right. Shift lower and get rid of the heavy foot (kinda hard to do :roll: ).

Guest Aaron

I recieved and email at work today that actually seemed to have some promise. It proposed that everyon boycott Exxon and Mobil gas stations (because they are the too largest companies). Those companies would have to lower thier prices in order to entise more people to purchase there. At that point the other companies would be forced to lower prices to stay competitive.

The idea might work, I don't buy from those companies anyway because they are always more expensive in my neck of the woods and I go for whatever is cheapest.

However, I also know that a lot of the gas comes from the same few refineries, so it may not effect the big comanies anyway.

Guest bastaad525

you know... I seem to remember (and I may be remembering this wrong...) that a few years ago there was an email like this going around... right around the time gas was hitting $2.00 the first time... so everyone sent out emails to strike against buyign any gas for one day. I know I didn't buy gas that day nor did my wife. And I kid you not I seem to remember gas prices had gone down significantly... I think it was .10 or .20, within a week of that happening... think it was like 3 days.

EDIT: oh also I'm not sure but I think last time it was a 3 day 'strike' or like a weekend or something, wasn't just one day I'm pretty sure...

C'mon guys! The US consumes 20,000,000 barrels of oil a day. Even if you got the ENTIRE population of the US to not buy fuel on one day it would have no noticeable affect on the import volume.

Use your freakin' heads before posting this trash!

if you ask me anything is better than just sitting on your butt and not doing anything at all and letting them just screw us over like we always do. i for one am tired of listening to all the lies and excuses of why the prices keep going up :evil:

Guest bluex_v1

Sucking gas.

Not to quite to the same extent (all the time) for you turbo guys, but still, our hobby here is dependent upon and supports the oil industries. Nothing inherently wrong with that, as long as its understood that we are all part of the whole system.

I'm somewhat unaffected as my Z is not daily driven; I drive a vegetable oil powered diesel Benz to work, so my fuel is close to free.

And I agree with John, that "boycott" of one day obviously will do nothing. If you don't reduce demand, you will not reduce the price of fuel.

Your not going to even get close to hurting these companies. OIL IS HUGE! I work in the industry, not for an oil company. I see how they burn money needlessly and still make huge margins. Their ROI is so sick, they are making alot of money! Sure, their costs are big, but that is all mainly initial capital investments, once a well in flowing, so is the $$. Some wells producing over a million bb/day @ $40 a barrel is hard to imagine becase world wide there are hundres of wells.

Point is, someone is going to buy the oil, with the world becoming more industrialized (china) the oil can be sold. Gas won't go below 1.50 ever again IMO. In the past 20 years inflation has effected everything but gas, it is due...

Guest bluex_v1
I'm somewhat unaffected as my Z is not daily driven; I drive a vegetable oil powered diesel Benz to work, so my fuel is close to free.

That is awesome. I'm going to try to get to that point too...burning oil for fun because I can, not because I have to. My next automotive project will be along these lines.

You know, people complain, but IMHO gas should be MORE expensive. If gas cost $4.00 per gallon alot more people would start looking into things like gas electric hybrids or biodiesel. Once the demand for gas began to drop off, the price would drop leaving the gasoline for enthusiasts like us, IE the people who drive cars for the sake of the car itself, not just for a mode of transportation! Of course, the meantime while waiting for the trend to conversion would suck, but lets face it, in order for prices to drop, people have to WANT to use an alternative for gas, which means the alternate must be cheaper!

As soon as Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles are available, that's when I plan to immerse myself in the 'alternate' lifestyle!

I thought with your search for used women's panties you were already living an "alternate lifestyle"...

You know, people complain, but IMHO gas should be MORE expensive. If gas cost $4.00 per gallon alot more people would start looking into things like gas electric hybrids or biodiesel. Once the demand for gas began to drop off, the price would drop leaving the gasoline for enthusiasts like us, IE the people who drive cars for the sake of the car itself, not just for a mode of transportation! Of course, the meantime while waiting for the trend to conversion would suck, but lets face it, in order for prices to drop, people have to WANT to use an alternative for gas, which means the alternate must be cheaper!

Couple of things. First, what makes you think that they would EVER lower the price? Reminds me of the water conservation BS in SoCal about 10 years ago. I remember my dad talking about it as they rolled out the plan. Conserve water for 2 months, then they would lower your bill if you conserved enough. He called it right. A couple months after the conservation period, the water company sent letters to everyone saying that they had done SUCH A GOOD JOB CONSERVING that the water company couldn't make any money, so they needed to HIKE UP the prices. BS!!! Is OPEC going to drop prices on oil? I doubt it...

"The power to tax is the power to destroy" is a Thomas Jefferson quote. Who would the higher gas price going to affect anyway. Not rich people. Not people who can afford to go buy a new hybrid car. No, it will be everyone else.

I understand taxes on gas to fix roads, but even there I have problems (15 Caltrans workers watching one guy fill a pothole). Biodiesel looks like a good alternative. Too bad CA made it ILLEGAL to make biodiesel yourself. So you're still stuck buying it from retail sources, and you gotta wonder how long until they start taxing the hell out of that. If they come out with a better alternative to gas, I'll be on board. Until then, I'd appreciate not being taxed up the @ss...

Hating the gas prices now, expecting to be infuriated in a year or so,

Jon