HybridZ

Black Chrome Look?

zguy95135

I remember seeing black chrome on a watch and it looked badass. I think there was also an article on how to do it in Sport Compact Car, but I cant find the article. Do you guys have any ideas on how to achieve this look? Maybe some kind of black tinted clearcoat? I am going for a no bling look, with minimal chrome so I think the stainless around the windows and taillights would look nice with it. Any ideas would be appreciated (it would be better if it came in a rattlecan) BTW I did do a search

Guest 305240

Quite a few years ago I used some kind of rust preventive acid to try and match some trim I had to replace on a camaro. It come close. It might work better if it was shot with a good clear afterwords. I can't remember what kind it was tho. Sorry.

Not sure if this helps any, but there is a Buick Grand National die cast model that is painted in black chrome. They can be baught off eBay. My buddy has one in his display case at his house. The car looks AWSOME!

Maybe you could do a search on eBay for the model, and contact the model comapny for the paint process.

!M!

Guest 305240

I'm going to try some different acids on some scrap stainless trim this weekend. You got me wondering now. I'll post some pics if they are worthy.

Try some toilet bowl cleaner (the works) from wal mart its 97 cents per bottle probably have to let it sit in the solution a while but it should give you a decent black oxide color and you should be able to clear coat over that after its cleaned up and wiped down. I might have to try this myself. I kinda found this out by accident...dont ask but Ill have to see how well it really works. Only problem is not all the trip is stainless as I had some lower window trim rust on me :( Acid would just eat the chrome off. It should work for the windshield and hatch trim though.

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if anyone has played w/ the product that Metallicar mentioned. From the site...

"Stainless Steel Blackener 370 is an acidic liquid concentrate used full strength or diluted with up to 3 parts water to blacken stainless steel at room temperature. Recommended for color coding parts and blackening engravings on stainless steels. Produces a pleasing dark gray/black finish."

PROD SSB370 Stainless Steel Blackener 370 1 Pint $20.90 from http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

Any updates RacerX?

there was a "DIY" on another forum.. basically if the part is already chrome you take a can of "transparent black" or "smoke" spray paint (available at hobby lobby or similar store) and spray it on. of course, it being aerosol, you have to be careful not to overspray certain areas and watch for bubbles and drips. it came out pretty good for the pics i saw.

This is probably a stupid suggestion, but have you checked with a bumper shop or chrome plater?

there are shops around that can do midnight chrome work. problem is, as was stated previously is that its not as hard as true chrome and will chip, fade, peal and SCRATCH rapidly. two stage powder coating may be the answer...you would be wise to take some sample parts in first to multiple coaters to find who can give you the look your asking for.

why not anodize (sp?) it...

mike

Mike, You want to anodize everything......

and do they make semi transparent anodizing?

another possible sollution is to paint the car in that new "chrome" paint thats been posted up here a couple of times. Paint the part in that and then smoke the base, then build up a clear. I'm no painter, but its sounds possible to me (someone step in if I'm wrong please)

anywho...good luck.

If you want a midnight chrome look go to alsacorp.com they have a paint thats called mirror chrome. read the page on about the red candy chrome just change the red to black candy. and then clear coat a few times and you should be golden....er blackened. they have a trial kit u can get try that first to see how chrome or black you want it.

i do want to anodize everything.. im thinking about having my lips on my wheels anodized blue :D.. baller.

yes they can do a chromish black, pricey sorta but awesome!

mike

If you want a midnight chrome look go to alsacorp.com they have a paint thats called mirror chrome. read the page on about the red candy chrome just change the red to black candy. and then clear coat a few times and you should be golden....er blackened. they have a trial kit u can get try that first to see how chrome or black you want it.

yup, thats the stuff im talking about.