HybridZ

What is your Top Speed. On or Off Track.

Ladies and Gentlemen

I am interested in any hybrid Z's Top Speed. It can be at the drag strip or on a road course. Please list what gear, rear end ratio, tire size (inches or mm of circumference), and rpm you are running. Please list any of the characteristics of the run. Still Pulling? etc? Please list engine setup Head Block C.R. etc.

Thanks

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trap speed of 134mph in the 1/4 mile with 26" slicks and 3.90 gear in 4th gear (1:1) at 6800 rpms. Still pulling at the end of 4th gear but don't think the T5 will handle too much HP in 5th gear so I will not use it for WOT. So I guess my top speed is about 138mph with a 3.90 gear at 7K rpm or maybe 152mph with a 3.54.

Similar to Pyro. 134.93 in the 1/4-mile @ 5400 RPMs. Buick 3.8L turbo, TH200-4r trans in 3rd with convertor locked, 3.07 final drive, 26.4" tire. Still pulling? Yup, as it only took 3.67 to reach that speed from 100mph. Projected top speed? More than I have the B*LLs to find out or what would be considered safe in Z w/o lots of aero tricks. I have given it some thought and in a what-if scenario, 5700 redline in 3rd would put it at 142.4 in a couple of seconds. Shift to OD (.67) would drop the RPMs to 3820 and given some road it would creep back into the torque curve and maybe see 5000 again. 5000 is 186 :shock::shock:

Totally meaningless but makes for good water-cooler talk :D :D

My car as a reference:

NA 3L - 320hp at the crank, 294 at the rear wheels. Car had a 6" front ride height and 6 1/4" rear ride height measured at the rockers. 275/45-16 tires, Xenon front air dam, custom aluminum rear spoiler, headlight covers, side windows open, two rear view mirros.

Top speed reached at Willow Springs Raceway was 142 mph (7,400 rpm in the .87 overdrive 5th with a 4.38 rear gear). Could have pulled to the 7,500 rpm redline (145 mph) but turn 1 got in the way.

Would that car top 150 mph? Most likely on pavement with a 4.11 rear gear. Would that car top 155? It theoretically could have just touched 155 with the 4.11 gearing (7,500 rpm) but the torque curve drops off after 7,200 so probably would have been stuck at something like 151. It would really need a good tail wind to hit the 155 mark

With a 3.90 rear gear there's no way it could top 150 let alone get to 155. So, I would say that the Rusty Old Datsun could top 150 on pavement but would probably not go past 151 with the gearing that's available for the R180 or the R200.

I hit 152mph on a Highway In CA testing the N20.You have to remember I have the aerodynamics of a shoe box.L30 stroker , turbo N20 and T56 six speed from a 98 Camero.3.70 rear end gears.I am to afraid to see what the car would do in 6th after a a burst to 152 in 5th .

With the old v6 - 124 and that was near the top of 5th.

New v8 - heres the setup:

- Stock LS1 V8

- 4.10 gears

- T56 6-speed

- 18x9 wheels with 265/18/35 tires

Got it up to 121 on a quick pass on a local empty 2-lane street. That was about 3/4's of 4th gear.. still pulling HARD and I still have 5th and 6th left. ;)

Once I get an inspection, and some balls.. I'll take it out on the freeway and try to reach 5th. Theres NO way I'll EVER wind out all the way to 6th.. I would crap my pants WAY before I ever got there. :twisted:

-Vann

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I never go faster than 60. It's just too dangerous on public roads. I also wear a helmet...

when I walk to the mailbox. :bonk:

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I'VE HIT 145MPH IN MY RB20 SWAPPED 240SX NEAR THE TOP OF 5TH..... THERE WAS A TUNING ISSUE WITH IT WHEN I DID IT.... I USED TO BE ABLE TO EXIT 4TH AT 130MPH AND HAD 5K RPM TILL THE TOP OF 5TH.

THE 700R4 Z HAS YET TO BE DRIVEN FURTHER THAN MY DRIVEWAY TO THE GARAGE SO MY TOP SPEED IN THAT IS 5MPH!

With my previous incarnation I was able to hit 129 and change in the 1/4 on BFG DRs and I have had TWO differend Z configurations on wide open sections of interstate, with the aid of a trooper friend of mine using a stalker radar gun to verify, that these two different powerplants hit - 160+ with an L6 motor (7400 RPMs and running an electromotive setup) and LOTS of aero tricks and well into the 155mph range with the V8 turning ONLY 3900 RPMs in 6th gear on a T56 w/ 3.70 rear LSD and 26inch rear tires... This was on PUBLIC ROADS (Interstate 95 in the Fredericksburg area) and very STUPID... I don't recommend it. :shock:

Mike 8)

my old tired non modified 280z has hit 110 a few times on empty freeway. I only have 4 gears and could probably go a little faster too. I still had 2k rpm left but untill my suspension and brakes get done (this month) I wouldn't even think about it. By the way do all your windshield wipers start to lift at around 11omph? Mine do...

Guest butlersZ

153 MPH with N/A 2.8 L6, cam, header, shaved head, MSD Ignition,3.36 quaife' and a 5-speed in my old 260Z.

Rearend was reasonably stable but the front end was very floaty, and this was with an old school air dam.

In my 1980 280ZX with the old L28E I hit 130mph@ about 65000RPM's with the stock R180 and stock 195/70/14's. I had a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, headers and full mandrel exhaust( I think it was 2.5", but I cant remember for sure?).........

with the new LT1/T56 in there....I've only hit 125 once and I still had most of 5th and all of 6th to go, I cant remember what kind of RPMs I was at? I need to balance my tires bad and make sure my driveline angle is ok before I go any faster, not to mention get a driveshaft loop! It was extremely stable at that speed. Its lowered about 1.5" with 225/45/17's and the body/areo kit is not installed yet. I also have headlight covers and a rear spoiler for it. This is all getting install this winter along with paint! Im sure I can go faster but I need to get some parts on it before I do!

Guy

butlerz

I am very interested in your setup. How in the world did you get the 260 to 150+. How long did it take to get to 150+ Tranny? Gearing? TIRES? I know my race prepped motor n/a at 13.5:1 did not have enough HP to get over 7900 rpm in 4th gear. So I am very interested in any secrets you could share with the rest of us.

Thanks