HybridZ

What is your Top Speed. On or Off Track.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well on the track i have done 84.84... i have an r200 not sure on the gearing, msd blaster, headers,custom intake, centerforce dual friction clutch, tokico lowering springs, kyb shocks, a mitsubishi front mounted fan, no belt drivin fan, full msa body kit and a cusco front strut bar.tire size i will tell u tomorrow when it is light outside... off the track i have hit 130+ according to my 3 friends who were running the same speeds. one car was a 95 galant, another car was a 03 gti, and the other car a sti. i had no front lift float or anything, and i had great control of the car... probably because i have the lowering, and body kit to help out....

172 mph going downhill on I-10 West about 45 miles before the California border. Verified by my passenger with a Garmin GPS.

Stock body.

Stock suspension.

LS1 T56.

2420 lbs. wet.

This was with 3.545 gears and just shifted into 6th. (redlined 5th). I backed out cuz the car got real boaty. Almost felt like speed wobble on a motorcycle. Oh and by the time I got to Los Angeles, my driveshaft had rattled all the U joint bolts lose.

In my Z I have had my speedo tapping on 140 mph although I can not say that it was accurate. On the California Speedway in an IROC car with me behind the wheel I was doing 160 mph, same location same car with the instructor behind the wheel and me in the "pasenger seat" I got to see what 175 mph felt like... when the wall seems to be no more than mere inches away and moving by at 175 mph it tends to put a little pucker in ya (if you know what I mean).

Dragonfly

Well i couldn't resist on this thread, on my Z though only goes as fast as most of you can push, spend most of time on jack stands. Update to come here soon.

My 85 300zx although, completly stock, one night had her up to 220km on empty stright highway, and still had room to play just didn't have the guts, getting little floaty at that time. If anyone wants to convert to mph, see how that compares.

At Daytona, I've hit 160 mph in the AAR 'Cuda (4.10 rear gears) and 180 mph in the Petty Challenger (3.53 rear gears), both 4 speed cars. (below)

49cuda-daytona.jpg

49petty.jpg

My BMW 540i is electronically controlled at 155 mph.

49T-Hill-net1.jpg

The VG turbo 510 was pretty much pushing too much wind around 135 mph. (may do 140 w/ a tail wind)

49larison-2001-net.jpg

As for the Z, I'll see what it can do later this year! At least it looks fast! :)

49280Z-06-2.jpg

Guest Dashibhs2004

well if anyone still checks this, i had a 280z 2+2 up to 130 mph in 4th gear at 5k rpms, 2k to go before red line and another gear. She was missing that day and would not push over 130. My motor has been rebuilt since then and i cant wait till i get enough miles to try again with my new suspension/

Whoah Savage 180mph 3.53 4speed that is phenominal. Was 4th 1:1 What was the od or size of the tire. What kind of rpms. Just curios as I am running a muncie 4 speed trying to figure out how to get faster.

Yes, 4th gear is a 1:1 but the 15" race tires are really tall and both the 'Cuda and Challenger top speeds are at 7200 rpm on the high banks there at Daytona.

Of course, I was surprised at how well the "stock bodied" Challenger did at that speed with no front spoiler. Also shows the difference in "old school" vs current Nascar stuff with restrictor plates. In Nascar, it takes them 1 1/2 laps to get up to those speeds. I could come off the road course onto Nascar turn 1 and be at those speeds on the back straight. I got passed by a Ferrari 333SP doing 220 mph and an original Ford GT40 blew by me, too. It's cool just getting to fly around Daytona, no matter what car. :)

My Q45: indicated 135mph, half pedal, still slightly pulling. (stock everything!)

My Suburban: lucky to hit 85mph...3spd no O/D stock 350 and 3.70 gears

My Z: (old L28E, 3.54 gears, stock 4spd, custom exhaust, "tweaked" AFM, indicated 125mph, calculated to be 121mph. Rpm limited.)

Old L28E with above mods, additionally lightweight flywheel and 1981 ZX transmission: indicated 135mph, calculated to be 130mph (.75fifth) Horsepower limited.

Same as above, 4.11 gears: indicated 140mph, calculated 133mph. (yes i changed speedo gears when I changed rears but I only had the gear for 3.90 instead of 4.11 so speedo now reads 3.5mph fast, before it was dead nutz at 60 and 120)(calculations were in my head based on tach rpm and quick scribbling so figures could be off by 3-4mph) Horsepower limited.

Same car, same tranny, but with MSII, FMIC, and L28ET, driving in texas, got on it, pulled UPHILL like a freight train to 110 and OH GOSH...wind gust, Ok now I'm scared and didn't go more than 100 for the rest of the trip. (yup..no ballz) Now I'm in the super-built-up northeast (with commensurate crappy PA roads) and I no longer have enough road to do more than 100.

(but man does it ever have the endless torque...you V-8 z guys must be so spoiled :) )

Here's a link to my 7psi accel run

last summer down a relatively untraveled [no commercial traffic] highway i hit 162-and subsequently blew past a ny state trooper, bout loaded my drawers. in the nano-second [and my state of temporary stupidity for going that fast on a public road] my fight or flight wrestling match said-RUN! go to jail, lose car, wife leaves me rotting in the cage, z gone-yes, they all went thru my brain cells. then, i hit the speed limiter-saw white smoke in the mirror and thought blew the engine-could it get any worse? evilz was riding passenger. he then says-u musta hit the speed limiter [i though the engine was toasted]. i then held it at 160 and ran. fortunately it was successful and i avoided, jail, loss of license, extreme wrath from wife, z being impounded. too long a story to type, don't try this one-i never will again. oh, we were in 6th gear, turning 4500 rpm, indicated 160 mph, 3.9 diff. z did feel a bit floaty but not too bad...

last summer down a relatively untraveled [no commercial traffic] highway i hit 162-and subsequently blew past a ny state trooper, bout loaded my drawers. in the nano-second [and my state of temporary stupidity for going that fast on a public road] my fight or flight wrestling match said-RUN! go to jail, lose car, wife leaves me rotting in the cage, z gone-yes, they all went thru my brain cells. then, i hit the speed limiter-saw white smoke in the mirror and thought blew the engine-could it get any worse? evilz was riding passenger. he then says-u musta hit the speed limiter [i though the engine was toasted]. i then held it at 160 and ran. fortunately it was successful and i avoided, jail, loss of license, extreme wrath from wife, z being impounded. too long a story to type, don't try this one-i never will again. oh, we were in 6th gear, turning 4500 rpm, indicated 160 mph, 3.9 diff. z did feel a bit floaty but not too bad...

O yeah I remember that day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Oh I have got to hear the whole story. Take your time. Type it offline. Do whatever you have to do. Please include car specs and both driver and passenger thoughts. This is going to be good.

160 mph past a State Cop. Oh Yeah the legend is born

Oh I have got to hear the whole story. Take your time. Type it offline. Do whatever you have to do. Please include car specs and both driver and passenger thoughts. This is going to be good.

160 mph past a State Cop. Oh Yeah the legend is born

No offense meant by this but I think 1Tuffz rather just leave the story as is with no detail records anywhere. I hope you understand where I am coming from. Just know it was a crazy ride...LOL!

This is calculated from tire size and gear ratios, but I 'feel' that it's about right.. 1975 280z, stock suspension, front air dam and rear 'whale tail', zx 5 speed and 3:90 rear, mild 2.8 w/cam and SU's (running pig rich) a long straight road, and a heavy right foot; 140 mph and still pulling slightly, but the 'front end float' came on strong at 125 and it was a narrow 2 lane road at night so I backed off. :lol: I havn't driven over 70 mph in 6 months.. (stupid slow ass 1 tone pigup truck..) I miss the Z.. :(

Indicated 130 mph.

Calculated from Z design studio comes out around 125 mph adjusted for gearing and tire size (225/50R15).

Still pulling, just ran out of gears (4... blew the 5 speed on a similar occasion). Car felt planted since it is way lowered. I'm plan on putting the front splash shield along with a reinforced urethane lip with the necessary ducting this summer.

Oh and a 240sx 5 speed :)

Mario