HybridZ

putting LSD in non LSD R200

SRpwrd240z

It's not to hard. I took a R200 from a '78 280Z which had a 3.54 ratio and installed a '87-'89 300ZX clutch type LSD into the aforementioned R200. I was a newbie to rear ends when I did it, but it worked out geat. However, I did need to make spacers for the 12mm carrier to work with the 10mm bolts for the ring gear.

Is it worth it? I would say yes, if you want a clutch type LSD with a different ratio other than the 3.70 the 300ZX LSD carrier comes in.

!M!

Just a little information on installing a R200 LSD (late model 12mm bolts) into an R200 with 10mm bolts on the ring gear. I just got off the phone with Precision Gear...I placed an ordered for a R200 LSD (clutch type with 4 pinion spider) intended for the 12mm bolts. They told me that if you use spacers to take up the tolerance between the 10mm and 12mm bolt thru holes in the carrier, be sure they are not too long...infact they told me you do not need the spacers because the clamping force of the bolts is what actually holds the ring gear securely. The slight tolerance is not an issue. They said they have done many race cars in this fashion without a problem. By the way..Precision Gear's part number for the R200 LSD is #LOM59-12 ($602.95)....not bad for a new unit. Their phone number is (734) 946-0524

Hope this helps solve the issue of using spacers.

...infact they told me you do not need the spacers because the clamping force of the bolts is what actually holds the ring gear securely. The slight tolerance is not an issue. They said they have done many race cars in this fashion without a problem.

That sounds very wrong! What is keeping the ring gear from turning on the carrier? I doubt the "clamping force" of the ring gear bolts are enough to keep the ring gear from rotating slightly.

!M!

Were the ones you made perfect Mat? I didn't notice when I installed them, but 2126 is right. They don't have to be perfectly fit to the carrier. In fact, they don't have to be terribly tight either. If there is a couple thou slack in there it doesn't matter. 10mm bolts in a 10mm carrier have a little slop too.

What holds the ring gear is the interference fit with the "pilot" and the ring gear bolts' clamping force. The pilot is the surfaced area of the carrier that the ring gear presses onto. FWIW, on my R200 this was more of a slip fit than a press fit but on everything else I've worked on you had to beat the ring gear onto the pilot with a dead blow hammer.

jmortensen, Thanks for backing me up and providing the little details. I am always a little liery about here-say information and tend to listen to the manufactures that make the parts and race the parts as well.

Thanks again jmortensen

Were the ones you made perfect Mat? I didn't notice when I installed them' date=' but 2126 is right. They don't have to be perfectly fit to the carrier. In fact, they don't have to be terribly tight either. If there is a couple thou slack in there it doesn't matter. 10mm bolts in a 10mm carrier have a little slop too.

What holds the ring gear is the interference fit with the "pilot" and the ring gear bolts' clamping force. The pilot is the surfaced area of the carrier that the ring gear presses onto. FWIW, on my R200 this was more of a slip fit than a press fit but on everything else I've worked on you had to beat the ring gear onto the pilot with a dead blow hammer.[/quote']

I would like to think the spacers/sleeves were, but if anything they were a little tight (right Jon?). My ring gear also just slipped right on the carrier. When I put the ring gear on the carrier and finger tightened all the bolts without the sleeves installed, there was quite a bit of movement when I twisted the ring gear clockwise and counterclockwise. I just don't think it's a good idea to leave them out.

Let's just say that the ring gear was rotating slightly everytime you went to wide open throttle. Over time the bolts could fail, am I right? That was my thinking on this and that's why I used sleeves, just like many others have.

!M!

That's why I paid you for them. Bolt spacers are a good idea. But there are other setups, like ring gear spacers commonly used on American diffs where you put a spacer between the ring gear and the carrier and install longer bolts. These don't have any pilot interference fit, and the spacers aren't super tight, AND you are using a longer bolt.

Oh, did I mention that you only use them when you go to a LOWER gear ratio (more torque multiplication). I wouldn't use one, but lots of guys do. I did have some customers who had the ring gear bolts shear in this type of setup, and I think its a really bad idea.

What we do with the R200 is not too big a risk though. The only strength we lose is from the 12mm bolt to the 10mm bolt. How many 10mm bolt guys have complained about the bolts shearing??? I've never heard of it...

The bolts thread into the ring gear, so you'd have to drill out the holes then tap new threads. I suppose that is possible, but I always just assumed that it would be expensive and hard to do. Probably cheaper at that point to buy a new ring and pinion from Nissan with 12mm holes

Despite the cost of a new gearset, it is SO MUCH EASIER to put ring gear bolt spacers on and not have to mess with setting up the differential again. Usually, not always but usually, you don't even have to reset the backlash when you swap the LSD carrier into an open diff.

Change gears and now your buying all new bearings, setting pinion depth and preload, backlash, and carrier bearing preload. Not worth the hassle to get out of having spacers IMO.

The Cal-Mini unit is for the front of an Xterra. I contemplated using this diff, but it will require machine work for the snap rings that hold the stubs in. The Xterra stubs are held in differently than the RWD R200s. Nissan switched to 12mm ring gear bolts around 84. I have an 85 3.54 R200 from a 300ZXT in my 240 with the Precision Gear LSD I purchased from Reider Racing. Here is the link to the install that I posted on the board:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=94653&highlight=bearing+puller

• 2 months later...
Guest Fredrik280zx
Sorry if this question is dumb.. but is that for a FWD?

They sell the exact same part as replacement for the r200 found in z31t 85-88