HybridZ

Why haven't I seen a S2000 swap?

cyrus

Why not use a Honda engine in a Z?

Price, price, price.

I see all the type R motors selling for crazy amounts around here, all the ricers want to buy them and put them in old CRX's. The S2K motor is great, but....why?

Edit: I in no way mean to discourage anyone from doing a swap with ANY motor, I just hold my pocketbook very dear to me. Seems like a novel and fun idea, I just can't imagine footing the bill.

Really? No point? If there's no point to an s2000 motor, which for the last 2 years has been a 2.2 liter, not a 2.0... why would honda put it in a 2700lb convertable?

Let's see, mid engined, high revving, 240hp motor, all aluminum, making the complete weight of a 240z with one around 2100-2200 lbs with full trim... Add 4.10 gears and you'd be good to go.

But then again, what does a guy with a rotary swap know about displacement and waste of time

Not sure what gema response means. s2000 motor have nothing to do with type r and crx, etc. nor swapping... S2000 are not transverse. Only will work in a rear drive. Anyway it seems like a real nice motor. I think it would be a great deal too. For $3500 you could have a low mile motor with good trans, ecu, etc. and there would be no intercoolers or piping to run the price tag up.

ive been thinking about a F20C S2K motor for about 2 years now.

i love it, why? well i tend to drive a few here in houston alot, as my friends have a few. i love racing the car itself, so much fun. and now also working on one and starting to do a complete turbo setup on it, i just keep liking this motor more and more. plus the digital dash is gangster!

but after all my research if i was going to do a F20C swap it would be all motor, ITB's, Toda race cams (vtec killers), super high compression, all the goodies to make it a 300rwhp motor.. wouldnt be very streetable but in a light weight 240Z it would make one hell of a road racing car.

but cyrus these motors will also work in FF cars too, have seen a few CRX's and hatch backs with these motors.. crazy stuff.

mike

• 3 weeks later...

Well, umm when I called my local honda dealer and said I wanted to know how much an s2k replacment motor would cost it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 5k not including wiring harness, intake, exhast, basically just a long block.

Now, although expensive they have lots of potencial that people take for granted. It already has HIGH compression, but yet a mild boost from a supercharger can manage california emission test. NO OTHER car has hit compression like that under the knife of california smog. If you lowered the compression and got about 16lbs of boost from a supercharger that thing would give more than 400hp with ease (based on my experience with honda engines, i've co built 2 10 sec hondas and currentlly working on a 12 sec daily driver crx).

Now, add the fact that honda's VVT system is WAY better than anyone else's and you have a motor fit for a king. Almost any review of the s2k will talk about how under 6k the motor feels lifeless and like an every day honda, but between 6k and 9k it's like having your own F1 car. This is perfect for a street driven car. It's easily managable in the rain and get great gas mileage around town and when called for it revs like a beast.

Oh yea, and its light, just like all honda motors. (honda 4 bangers that is....)

Well, yea... It's expensive. honda parts are expensive. Brand new machined heads for a B16 cost over 2k. Used type r motors cost an arm and a leg if in good working order and the S2k is barelly starting it's career as a sports car.

I'd personally wait about 10 years so that the S2k has been replaced by something else and they've become a bit cheeper. Then buy a wrecked one with a motor, or maybe get a front clip JDM and then get the USA wiring harness and electronics. Hopefully by then this whole honda craze will have died down a bit.

...NO OTHER car has hit compression like that under the knife of california smog.

Very true.

However, for that money (and it's only my money talking here :wink::-D ), you could get yourself an RB26. Smog requirements aren't a player (assuming you have a pre 75 vehicle).

I think that the S2000 engine would be a great swap if someone had the money and time to make it work. HybridZ, baby! That's what it's all about.

that new nissan 3.5 v6 with the 6speed is the hottest swap motor to me if I had to stay with a japanese engine. I dont like engines I cant get parts for. Nissan seems pretty dedicated to pushing the 3.5, I cant wait to see whats going on for turbo versions.

Nissan seems pretty dedicated to pushing the 3.5, I cant wait to see whats going on for turbo versions.

Indeed, especially considering their choice to use that engine as the basis for the 2007 GTR. I also believe they are currently using destroked versions of this motor (the VQ30) to power thier JGTC vehicles. In fact... last year (er...2003) thier Skylines were running VQ30's (twin turbo). So... the VQ35 has a bright, bright future.