HybridZ

Define a great "Fun Street Car"

cyrus

In family we are always arguing about what is the best car.

My uncle who has old school vette thinks it perfectly fine to drive with 4.11 gears and a 350 or 427. Now in reality that combo stinks it was necassary because the cars had only 4 gears, no overdrive, and the low was 2.20 which felt steep. Hence spinning 4000 rpm was "normal"

Some people think that only cars from domestic are good and some people say only foreign.

Some like really noise cars,

Some People like cars that handle like overloaded barges.

Anyway, I want a way to clearly define what a great "Fun Street Car", one that is a all around car, good for everything.

While there is endless ways to get there I think that there are basic good traits. People may not agree but I think there is basic criteria. Here goes, add your input.

1. Good Gas Mileage as measured in mpg, (also nice to run on street gas)

2. Noise (sounds nice and conversations are easy in the car, no drone)

3. Acceration as in Quarter mile

4. Handles as measured by track times etc

5. Comfortable, as in temperature (ac heater), seats, ride quality

6. Robust

since i used to work at a ford dealer and smogged the used cars i got to drive a few.1 spring morning i got a honda s2000 .had to go for donuts and a test drive .i really liked that car.i have owned a 70 datsun 2000 roadster,mgb,alfa spider and the honda was just best modern version of an open 2 seater.

I'm biased, But you can't beat the LS1 powerplant in a high mileage C5 Corvette. YOu can pick them up at auction for about $14-15K, and they are comfortable, well appointed and make over 300WHP and haul down 27-29MPG... Want more? Do a heads/ cam/ header package and bump it up to 400at the wheels with STILL knocking down in excess of 25mpg, leather, ac, removable top, and all the power tricks...

I love my Vette!

Mike

Different for everyone. In my mind, if you get a silly grin on your face every time you get in, then it's the perfect car.....

I'm in agreement with Tim! Funny thing is, I get that grin just thinking about my Z let alone when I get in and drive it and that grin turns into a big smile. Maybe that explains why my face hurts after a drive.

As far as my idea of a 'fun car' well.. it's my Z! :) Mind you better brakes and suspension are in order.. and a bit more power under foot... all in time though. I love to drive it, gives me 'that smile' every time I get in.. and mash the throttle.. It's not great on fuel, but I don't care. I always say "if I was woried about fuel milage, I'd drive a honda civic. "Fun" is the ONLY reason I bought my Z. To enjoy working on and driving it. I've given up trying to have 'the fastest car' cause there is ALWAY's a faster car, and always a nicer looking one. Idealy, I'd want.. what I have, but with a stronger/more original chasis and body (Ie; less rotten than when I got it) and a FI turbo engine w/5 gear.. Meh.. I'm just happy to HAVE my Z, and I can continue to build/mod it. I don't think I could go out and buy a car (for this type of purpose) and NOT mod it..

I'm not saying that my E36 M3 is the greatest car ever, but I have found out it is a very balanced street car. There are many downsides to it: High insurance, expensive parts, expensive aftermarket, etc.

1. I get 30MPG on the intersate and 25MPG in the city

2. The engine note is wonderful at 7K. The stock exhuast is loud only on the outside.

3. It'll do a high 13 to 14 second 1/4 mile. The top end is very impressive.

4. It was Car and Driver's best handling car at any price in 1997 (it beat the 911, F355, NSX, Viper, et al). In stock trim it's more than ready for the track. Wonderful brakes as well.

5. It is comfortable. The ride is harsh but not too bad considering the handling. It's not as quiet as a Buick either. It's geared a little to low for my tastes; 80MPH@3500 RPM

6. It's stylish with out sticking out too much.

I love my 240Z Turbo, and I drive it every chance I get. But, for an all out street car that can handle any road conditions and any weather, I'd take a Subaru WRX STi (No EVO in Canada, but regardless, I'd probably still take the STi). Why should the fun stop just because it's raining or snowing or there's some gravel? I have a '94 Legacy Turbo and I feel considerably more confident pushing it hard on the street than I do my Z. So, with nearly twice the HP, I imagine that the STi would be an absolute blast.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Whooooooooooooooa... I think this got off track we will never agree on the best car, I just want to define the attributes that make a car such as good acceration, MPG, etc...

And shame on anyone who does not know that a Z is better than all other cars! I love to drive my Z over my 1993 6 speed vette any day!!!

To me, the most important attributes is, is it fun to drive and does it put a smile on your face everytime you drive it. Power, handling, braking all fall under this attribute. If it doesn't have enough power and doesn't handle well it's not gonna give me that silly grin on my face. Everything else is secondary but still important. It has to look good (although I would trade some quirkyness for performance anyday i.e. WRX), be comfortable enough to drive everyday, and be reliable. It should also have some personal touches that reflect your taste like custom wheels, seats, ect. so the car is like an extension of you.

Different for everyone. In my mind, if you get a silly grin on your face every time you get in, then it's the perfect car.....

I thought that was just the springs in your bucket seats! Now I understand you more! :-)

Seriously, most important for me, I have to like it. I'm not building the car to impress anyone, win car shows, be cool etc.

Owen

I'm not building the car to impress anyone' date=' win car shows, be cool etc.

Owen[/quote']

That may not be your intention but you are cool and your car impresses everyone.

As far as my Car is concerned........

It's a little bit of a bumpy ride in my Z as I'm cruising along at 35 mph. Then I enter an empty freeway on-ramp. I punch it...the turbos spool...the front end rises...and it feels like I'm floating on a cloud. Meanwhile, I'm hanging onto the steering wheel for dear life...as my arms are being ripped out of their sockets......... That's what I like about my car.

Hanns

I love my Z, but for a nice daily driver that hauls I'd love to build a nice 1JZ SC300. You can pick high mileage ones up for super cheap and 1JZ's also seem to be going for super cheap. I'd love to have me a nice 300+ rwhp Soarer, leather interior, wood trim dash. That's probably my ideal daily driver right now.

Lexuses (Lexii?) are good transportation machines, and they can be quite fast, but none of the ones I've driven have had SOUL.

I respect the choice of the BMW M3 above - it's an excellent car in all respects. But myself, I'd choose the e28 M5. A little more room inside, a little more demanding of the driver, and not as many creature comforts. A bit easier to diagnose and fix, since it's a bit less complex.

I think if you could only have one car to do everything, the earlier M's are tough to beat! They pretty much define (in my mind, at least) the concept of "fun street car", although Mike's Corvette sounds pretty good. If it weren't for the small cargo capacity and no rear seat, that would probably get my vote!