HybridZ

What's Your Favorite Beer?

DavyZ

I have often wondered just what some of your favorite beers that you are drinking in other parts of the country and why you fond them enjoyable.

I feel "lucky" to be in a place (SF Bay Area) where I can get a ton of tasty microbrews and other beers that I find tasty.

I have often travelled to Munich, Germany and am convinced that their beer is head and shoulders over the majority of other beer out there. Franziscanner, Augustinerbrau, and Haaker Pschorrbrau are some of my favorite labels from Munich. I do enjoy Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (Chico, CA)--a "fruity, hoppy beer" and Gordon Biersch (San Jose, CA)---little bit hoppy--as some of my staple domestics.

For some reason, I cannot get into Guinness. It just does not appeal to me. When I think to myself, "Man, I just want a beer right now," I cannot get myself to drink a Guinness draft.

I tend to leave the mass produced labels alone...

Anyone?

Davy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa don't get me started...lately my roommate has gotten me into Guiness, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Pete's Wicked Ale. Usually if I have my choice, I'll take a Corona or a Yuengleng. I'm also a sucker for a good Fat Tire Amber Ale but I have a hard time finding it in FL, the only places I ever had it was in Montana and Colorado. Anyone who is a real beer enthusiast should head down to the annual Orlando Beer Festival aka Beerfest. This year was my first one since I'm 21 now and although it rained the entire time, it was amazing, I tried probably close to 100 beers (2 oz's at a time). Its held around Thanksgiving every year at Citywalk, which is where Universal, Islands of Adventure, Margaritaville, Emeril's, etc. are.

Negro Modelo, Newcastle, or Pike's Scottish Kilt Lifter. For something a little lighter a Modelo Especial usually hits the spot. Lately I've been more in the Merlot or Syrah mood though.

I'm with you Davy. All my friends love Guinness and I can't take it. The only thing worse is that chocolate stout, Mac-something or other. That stuff is so nasty it probably tastes BETTER when you're vomiting it up. :wink:

Lately I've been more in the Merlot or Syrah mood though.

I'm with you Davy. All my friends love Guinness and I can't take it. The only thing worse is that chocolate stout' date=' Mac-something or other. That stuff is so nasty it probably tastes BETTER when you're vomiting it up. :wink:[/quote']

LOL! Yeah, I can't take the stuff either---or at least I'm not sure why I don't really care for it. I think it has to do with the time that I had San Miguel Dark lukewarm at 10AM in college---I nearly barfed after that one beer and I think it ruined dark beers for me from then on. Guinness is different in that it is lightly carbonated and has almost zero alcohol in comparison. Want to get your kid started drinking early? Start him on Guinness!! :D J/K

I have also been drinking red wines for quite a while. Fortunately the Napa Valley is nearby with a wide variety of great wines. I enjoy the Cabernet wines, but I enjoy most reds regardless of whether they are Merlots, Cabs, Pino Noirs, Shiraz, etc.

Cool responses guys!

Davy

I'm Irish, Northern to be exact... And I love Guiness. However, I also like a LOT of other beers... Yuengling Black and Tan is silky smooth and has contributed to my expanded waistline! I also Like Dominion Lager. On the lighter side I like Grolsch, as well as DosEquise, and I like Budvar (German varient of Budweiser) and I can drink Corona with lime. When I was in Bosnia, We drank a LOT of Tuborg and a little of Heinekin. However, Lately I've been drinking a LOT more whiskey. Jack Daniels Black Label for mixing, Green label for sipping, and Gentelman's Jack for just about everything... Might actually break down and grab a bottle of Single Barrel and try it...

I'd love to pretend to be sophisticated enough to tell you why I love a certain wine... But the truth is the there are about 10 brands my wife and I bounce around to. Pretty much it has a cork, is a Shiraz, Merlot, cabernet, Zinfindel, or chardonnay. The thing I like least about wine is how it drys me out... I always need to drink a LOT of water afterwards... Alice Springs, Our Dog Blue, Madison, Lindenmans, Meridian... I tired a few years back and spent a ton trying to educate myself on wines... What I found is that French wines aren't what they used to be, and that a good Italian or Californian wine will go head to head any day... And then there are the dalmation wines from Croatia and Bosnia, as well as Montenegro...

Is it to early for a drink?

Mike

Favorite beer? Whatever is in my hand at the time!

Usually just drink Heinekin. Seems hard to beat. In the summer when working outside I do like Corona. My entire neighborhood seems to live on Miller light and nothing else, but I just can't stomach that stuff other than to be sociable. Sierra Nevada and Pete's wicked ale are available here on the east coast. Will buy Yeunling when I am feeling cheap, but I just keep going back to Heinekin.

But all in all give me Wild Turkey 101 or a Beefeaters martini. Have tried cheaper wiskeys but just keep going back to Wild Turkey.

Friday night, I had a really awesome Chocolate Stout, by Bison Brewery. Other favorite beers include: Smoked Porter (by alaskan brewing), Terrible (By Unibroue, no longer made), Nut Brown Ale (Samuel Smiths), Belhaven , Oatmeal Stout (Anderson Valley and Samuel Smiths)...i'm sure there's a couple others.

Here's a link to a couple pics of my partial collection: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clarkcameronm/album?.dir=d04b&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clarkcameronm/my_photos

Over 120 beers right now...about 30 not pictured

Friday night' date=' I had a really awesome Chocolate Stout, by Bison Brewery. Other favorite beers include: Smoked Porter (by alaskan brewing), Terrible (By Unibroue, no longer made), Nut Brown Ale (Samuel Smiths), Belhaven , Oatmeal Stout (Anderson Valley and Samuel Smiths)...i'm sure there's a couple others.

Here's a link to a couple pics of my partial collection: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clarkcameronm/album?.dir=d04b&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clarkcameronm/my_photos

Over 120 beers right now...about 30 not pictured[/quote']

where do u buy all these different beers?

mike

Mike,

Various places.

Most of the others come from Beverages and More, and Whole Foods.

Some of them come from visits to other states, such as oregon and montana, where the beers are microbrewed and only available locally. Are there any good microbrews in your area?

Some of them are quite expensive though...the most expensive bottle i have is roughly $20 for a 750ml. I have hundreds of dollars just sitting on the shelves in the pictures.

Uuuummmmmmmmmm... Beeeeeeerrrrrr... [drool]

Coors! Why? Because during my teens and early 20s I had more sex while drinking it (and watching women drink it) then any alcohol, drug, or sobriety since. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the same effect now...