HybridZ

Made my Control Arms

240hoke

Hey guys,

Heres a picture of my adjustable control arm. I made them yesterday. Actually turned out alot easier then I expected and am happy with the turn-out. I have about 50 bucks in them.

Lemme know what yall think. For lots more pictures and a write-up of the fab go to my website here:

http://www.geocities.com/projectzt/LCA

8478LCAfinshed-med.jpg

8478LCAbottom.jpg

• Like 1

I think they look damn good too. The one thing I would suggest for others is that if you're going for a whole lot of negative camber, it's better to make the new arm so that at stock length the rod end is all the way in. That way you have more threads in the arm. The rule of thumb I was taught and still follow is that twice the diameter of the rod end should be screwed inside the control arm. So for a 5/8" rod end you would want 15/16" threaded into the arm. On your page you said your car was bent, so it may very well be the case that you need to make one side shorter than stock to square the car up.

Also I didn't make mine but the guy who did found a DOM tube that was small enough that he was able to tap it into the cut stock control arm. It's been some years but I think it was 1" OD, can't remember the ID but there were 5/8" threaded tube ends readily available that matched up just like yours do. He just drilled a bunch of holes top and bottom and welded it at the end kinda like Terry did on his rear control arm experiment and in that way he didn't have to rebuild the bottom of the arm.

Looks good though. Nice job.

Guest JAMIE T

The 1" DOM that you can tap a 3/4" thread right into is .156" wall. I use it on many suspension components. I'll have to post pics of my front arms. Mine use a turn-buckle type link that is threaded right and left hand so it really is on-car adjustable. Just loosen the jam nutz and twist. If I don't do a 240SX rear suspension, I'll make my own rear arms also.

Hey guys,

thanks for the comments.

Thats a good idea on using a piece of tubing that you can tap threads right into that would have saved me a good bit of time and money. Ill keep that in mind if i have to make another set. I need to look up what type of tubing I used.

And yes they aren't on car adjustable. However its as simple as can be to take to bolt out that holds it on so It shouldnt be too hard to make adjustments.

Anyway I getting excited about the car, im definitly ready to start reassembling, but ive got a little wayz to go yet, okay a long way lol.

-Austin

Im running a custom brake setup, and with the ends left on there they will just barely scrape the rotor at certain points in the suspension travel, so i had to cut them off. I didnt see that this area added any (or at least very little) strength to the arm. Im not sure why others have cut them off, but this would be my guess too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

While researching how to make on car adjustable LCA I came across some QA1 double adjusters. If you look in my galley you will see a picture.

Also here is a like to two different web sites:

http://www.cheperformance.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=62&cid=8

and if you look at page 36 of this pdf you will find more info:

http://www.qa-one.com/qa1_ind2005.pdf

I hope this helps some one. I may try this at a later date, I have to get my brakes up to speed (bad pun!!) before I can do anything else to the car.

HB280ZT

I will not be making further runs of that control arm or any for sale to the public. I would be more than happy to walk you or anyone through it, but I simply don't have much time to do much more than work on my own stuff and keep the honey-dooo list down to a minimum.

Mike