HybridZ

Is 6-AN fuel lines big enough for my engine?

pjo046

akeizm. The -6 AN was developed by the military to standardize the fittings that were used in there aircraft. AN meaning Army/Navy. The dash number is the size of the I.D. of the hose in 1/16 inch increments. So a -6 is 6/16 of an inch or 3/8". -4 is 4/16 and so on. Hope that helps. Back to the original question, I think a -6 should be O.K. for fuel injection since your running higher pressures than for a carb setup.

• 2 years later...
Just purchased 3/8 stainless CNC bent fuel lines for my 240Z. Fit perfect. Bought from http://newoldstockmotorsports.com.

Where do they route? I.E. where do they start and end? I'm very interested as I am currently running AL lines and would like something stronger,(currently -6, need -8 for the end HP requirements down the road).

Oh yea, how much were they? Any pictures?

-Bob

The dash number is the size of the I.D. of the hose in 1/16 inch increments.

Actually, no. The dash number indicates that the hose flows the same as a metal tube with an OD measured in 16ths of an inch. So a -6 hose flows the same as a 3/8" metal tube. Remember, in the 1930s when the AN system came out they were replacing metal lines and needed an equivilancy formula.

John C is correct, it is a tubing designation with equivalency for flexible hoses.

A quick trip through NAVAIR 1-1A-8, or USAFTO 1-1A-15 will tell you all you ever wanted to know about this kind of specification. It will make your head spin! Great toilet reading as an Aircraft Apprentice! LOL

I've used -8 feed and -6 return on a lot of turbo cars running north of 600 whp.

For the aussie, this same system aught to be in use down there as well.

I wouldn't trust the stock feed line for much beyond 400 crank hp but that's me. In the end, I'd end up removing the stock return line and using the stock feed as the return and running a new -8 to feed the rail.

You never know about fuel pressure unless you have it measured right before the return line. I still wouldn't trust it. Fuel is life on a turbo car.

Also, Earls is a little funky. Don't try to mix and match Earls with Aeroquip, Russel, Jeg's, etc. It doesn't work. The actual flare fitting section is fine, but the ends wherein they screw over the braided line is slightly different in size.

Tubing is measured on the O.D. ( steel,nylon,poly,etc.) Hoses, almost all.... there are some exceptions.... are measured on the I.D. and normally measured in 116 increments. Tubing has many different wall thicknesses which reduces I.D. dimensions and in turn flow dependent on what the wall thickness is.So a #6 hose will out flow a #6 tube (both are termed as 3|8 inch) Akeizm, go to a Hydraulic hosefitting shop and inquire about JIC fittings....(Joint Industrial Council) they are the same as AN. Both seal on a 37 deg. seat. Also the threads are the same pitch. Hope this helps.