HybridZ

Gran Turismo 4 for PS2.... freakin amazing!

Guest bastaad525

I can't believe they put the friggin Nurburgring in the game... must go change underwear... Le Mans too... and one of the tests is to drive part of the Le Mans course with a GTP 300ZX. Friggin amazing!!!

Biggest improvement to me over GT3 is they captured the fact that driving through a corner at 10/10ths is not a smooth ride. You get all the jerkiness. Biggest complaint is the amount of nose dive most of the cars have. It's looking pretty exaggerated to me. The physics are MUCH better than GT3.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked it up last night. I love the amount of new cars and nitrous! I had my 236HP 280ZX whoop'n up on some new cars! Of couse I was using nitrous set at 70HP! But I couldnt afford the stage 3 upgrade for the engine nor the fully adjustable tranny. It sucks that all you can bring over from GT3 is $100K! Oh well!

Guy

Guest tony78_280z

Ok, that might seem a bit obsessive. Something about that room screams "Leave the virtual reality and GO OUTSIDE AND ENJOY SOME ACTUAL REALITY!!"

I do like the cup holders though. And the seats do look comfy. And they did include a seat for a real live friend.

Psst.. Check out the super nintendo. It's an antique

Super nintendo! We've got one in the spare bedroom as well as N64 and the one and only Original Nintendo system all hooked up. My wife missed out on Vgames as a kid and she LOVES all the mario's, really!

Looking fwd to getting GT4, actually I should get it this weekend. Great thread.

JMort, how does it look on your DLP? Some of the other games just look so so compared to regular CRT TV.

JMort, how does it look on your DLP? Some of the other games just look so so compared to regular CRT TV.

Looks good but takes some getting used to. The damn pic is SO big that I'm tending to exaggerate my movements on the joystick in compensation. I was doing pretty good playing it on a 27", but when I got it on the big TV I was having a bitch of a time getting adjusted to it.

Whoa... So, GT4 is actually... finally... for real... truthfully.... and no funny stuff.... totally... on the shelves?

holy crap! I've been hearing release dates for this thing for the past 2 years! I finally just gave up on ever seeing GT4 hit the shelves.

Now i must decide if i should actually go buy it... i still need to finish san andreas....

hmmm..

Joe

Guest bastaad525

I find the gas and brake pedals work fine... the brake pedal also feels great, it's got a more rubbery feel and is harder to push than the springy gas pedal... not 100% real feeling but still better. One thing I like about GT4 is it has little indicators onscreen that show how much you are pushing on either pedal all the time, which also makes up for some of the lack of sensory input you'd have in a real car.

I REALLY want to do a setup like in that pic... anything to have a comfortable, 'real' feeling way to set this up... right now I just play with the wheel sitting in my lap. I modified the lap attachment from the first GT wheel to fit the Pro and it works okay but I tried playing with the wheel attached to the table and you can just control it so much better... too bad I can't actually sit in anything near a comfortable position to play like this!

I also picked teh 280zx as the first car I drove... unfortunately the 240z is a locked car as always that you can't buy right off the bat. Supposedly there are many more Z's in there this time, I have already seen a Z31 non turbo for sale... so that's 5 generations so far... but I did read there would be other versions of the S30 in there but have yet to see them. I will be a bit dissapointed if the G nose ZG is the only S30 available again.

About the tracks, I was under the impression that every track from every previous GT was going to be in this game. Unfortunately I have not seen my favorite GT2 track in there yet, Red Rock Pass or whatever it was called. But yeah I know there are definately tracks from earlier games in this one that got left out of GT3... like High Speed Ring and Autumn Ring Mini.

I have one more test to go to get my Super license, its driving me crazy. I spent 8 damn minutes driving around Nurburgring in a Mercedes only to lose by one second. Its so painful when you hear that stupid Ferris Bueller song playing after 8 minutes of intense racing or if you're like 6 minutes into it and you slide off the track or touch a wall.

Guest bastaad525

Hey I keep forgetting to check, did they bring back the Racing Modification to the cars in GT4?

In GT 1 and 2, in the same category as the weight reduction, if you did all three steps of weight reduction you could do a forth step which was Racing Modification, which not only lightened the car, but changed the whole look of the car to that of a real race car, sponsor logos and all, and added the ability to change the front and rear downforce... it was real expensive like 80k credits. You could do this mod to ANY car (the 240ZG looked sweet with it), but they took it out of GT3 :(

So did they put it back in for 4 has anyone checked/noticed yet?

Also has anyone found any other S30 other than the 240ZG? and for anyone who does win any of the Z's please keep track of which race you won them in so we can get a list going and we can all unlock all the Z's!

EDIT: Nevermind... just found a list online of all the cars in the game... apparently the 240ZG is the only S30 in the game... weak. I could have swore I saw a list some months ago that listed at least two variations of the 240 as well as a 260z... bastards!

Yeah I dont care for the G-nose either. I like the ZG flares but the G-nose has got to go!

I started over with the game and bought a 350Z instead because I just couldnt win with the ZX. Now I have a supercharger and NOS on my Orange 350Z and boy does it haul! Along with the Fully adjustable suspension, tranny, and rear end it handles like a dream!

If you want to win the 240ZG you just have to win all the "Z Club" races in the Japan area where you buy Japanese cars.

Guy

Im still fixing up my 240ZG, but you should see my Caterham Fireblade, it's insane. 270hp, everything modified, 100hp NOS shot (it goes up an extra 30hp on this car). It'll go 201mph and spin the tires until 100mph. The only thing is...I CANT RACE IT!!! :evil: .It's a special car so I can't enter any races or use it in 2 player because you cant load the garages. So I just wasted $170,000.

Is it just me or is the autosave feature really annoying? You can't test out cars anymore :x .

I hate that "oh yeah" song too.

Ok, but did you look at the replay with controls displayed and see if the game thought you were braking 100% when you pressed the pedal 100%?

I have seen a ton of replies from people with wheels. Could one of you PLEASE check and see if the GT4 has working pedal calibration? It should be in the options menu under the "wheel" option. Run a lap, watch the replay with user input displayed, see if you're getting 100% braking. If not, calibrate your pedals and do it again. If you don't have 100% braking there is no way you're going to get the best times you can.

Thanks!

I have one more test to go to get my Super license, its driving me crazy. I spent 8 damn minutes driving around Nurburgring in a Mercedes only to lose by one second. Its so painful when you hear that stupid Ferris Bueller song playing after 8 minutes of intense racing or if you're like 6 minutes into it and you slide off the track or touch a wall.

You probably already got it, but I went to the arcade mode and did about 10 laps with the Cusco Subaru WRX and then went back and passed it first time thru. I actually thought the damn Bentley on the Le Mans track was WAY harder, probably because I'm using a joystick and you twitch just a gnat's *** at 220 mph on that two lane part and you're in the dirt.

Guest 240zJake
Ok' date=' but did you look at the replay with controls displayed and see if the game thought you were braking 100% when you pressed the pedal 100%?

I have seen a ton of replies from people with wheels. Could one of you PLEASE check and see if the GT4 has working pedal calibration? It should be in the options menu under the "wheel" option. Run a lap, watch the replay with user input displayed, see if you're getting 100% braking. If not, calibrate your pedals and do it again. If you don't have 100% braking there is no way you're going to get the best times you can.

Thanks![/quote']

It works

You probably already got it, but I went to the arcade mode and did about 10 laps with the Cusco Subaru WRX and then went back and passed it first time thru. I actually thought the damn Bentley on the Le Mans track was WAY harder, probably because I'm using a joystick and you twitch just a gnat's *** at 220 mph on that two lane part and you're in the dirt.

Haven't gotten it yet, been busy over the weekend, but I thought that Bentley one was super hard too, I'm also using the joystick.

The damn pic is SO big that I'm tending to exaggerate my movements on the joystick in compensation.
from Jmort

Uuuuuh, yeah it is weird isn't it? I picked up the game Saturday. Does anyone have the new progressive scan PS2 with an HD tv? Going through the settings I see you can set 480P or 1080i resolution!!!! WHA? I need to either get one the the new itty bitty PS2's or wait for the PS3 which I may not be able to do. I really want to see this game in HD resolutions.

Let me know.

thanks

Guest comeandzpa

Sadly there is no race modification option, I too was somewhat surprised and disappointed by this. It is sweet that they put the Nurburgring in there, and though I've yet to get to it I'm sure it'll take me a few hours to pass it. I tend to be one of those "hit the other cars and use them as a brake" drivers, which doesn't really work when you fail for slipping off the track an inch.

I was pretty upset about the fact that you can't drive any of the "special cars" in actual races. That Nike 2022 feels like it should handle like an absolute dream, and its fast as hell (ran about a 12.5 400M out of the box).

Does anybody know if there's a way to upload your GT3 data if you didn't do it right away? I skipped past it the first time I loaded the game assuming that I could just do it later, but I can't find a way to do it now :-( I could always just delete all my progress and start over again, but I'd hate to lose all my license data.

Honestly, I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed with the selection of cars. I was figuring that with 650 cars, it would have just about every car ever made. However, it still doesn't have any of the Italian exotics (is there some sort of licensing reason that this game never has?). There are a lot of interesting cars, I think the tuner car section is cool and the classics are awesome (love that original Celica).