HybridZ

Supercharged Z Video

kj280z

I got 21 seconds, but still couldn't believe how fast it was...

That car is FAST. lol

Your setup is similar to a supercharger kit offered for the z (not sure what company though)

just out of curiousity, how is it on the street? Can you use pump gas?

-Oliver

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People never cease to amaze me -

Are we enjoying the sights and sounds of a boosted L6 on the track or are we having a technical discussion of the effects of video time compression?

Or are we questioning the integrity of the person posting the video?

My watch gives me approximately 20 seconds per lap, and the engine (whose fuel system I installed and tuned) sounds on the vid are just about how they are in real life. Also, viewers will note that voices sound normal on the vid. Anyone with the most basic knowledge of video processing knows that tonal characteristics of sound are preserved through even the most extreme compression. Only signal to noise ratio is degraded in the process.

Reminds me of the time Scottie GNZ's drag video was questioned for the same reasons - As if Scottie would try to embellish his presentation!

Lighten up, guys (Jon), and dig this vid for the cool (and genuine) thing it is.

Oliver,

Yes it runs on pump gas and is surprisingly streetable.

I have a nasty cam in it and a very light flywheel so those things make it a little harder but it is certainly streetable and could be much more streetable if that were your intentions.

I have some future plans to install it on a totally stock 280z motor and a totally stock 280zxt motor (will take some time). I'll share the results as I make progress.

I believe you're thinking that this setup looks like the old Jim Cook Racing setup... This supercharger is the latest technology in that industry as compared to the older style that they once provided.

I have one of those old setups and the manifold has been modified for port fuel injection and I might just test it someday. The biggest problem with their system is weight (it's heavy!) and the fuel management system... it was a big short coming.

Adding EFI to my design and also using a more modern supercharger are certainly logical progressions of the setup.

The first time we dynoed it, the motor had not been broken in so we took it easy and also had a very conservative tune (fuel and timing) and it had 8 pounds of boost at the time... It made 221 RWHP and had a GREAT flat torque curve. That was 3 months ago... Since then we've got it dialed in and have gotten a little more aggressive (although still a little rich) with our tuning. Additionally, we increased the boost to ~12.3 psi... Obviously, this made a huge improvment in the performance. The video was taken a few days ago and it had 12.3 psi...

Hope that answers your questions

Regards

Ken

• Administrators
Is this a computer technology discussion or a post about a pretty nice setup on a Z car that's never really been done like this before?

Exactly, lets stay on topic folks.

Can we get back to talking about supercharged Z cars now or has this post been distroyed by this?!

No it has not.

Ken has shared some very interesting information and visuals for us to enjoy.

So again, keep it on topic.

Thanks for the video. I didn't realize that the superchargers wine would be than loud. Cannot wait to get my supercharger project finished. Project looks great in the pictures. Congrats. I will be interesting to see what it puts out on a dyno.

Ken, are you running it through a Intercooler? ALso I was curious on what compression you have with the motor set up? I cannot wait to read about this Z in SZM.. Haveing Rick on your side is a great thing.. He helped me out alot with my turbo swap. Thanks for posting about your Z and I really like the fact that it is different!.. :wink:

Thanks...

The CR is 8.5:1 and I'm not running an intercooler at this time, although I have a few things up my sleeve to cool the charge and refine the setup. The motor is a 3.0 stroker with custom forged Ross pistons (.040 over)

The article in the magazine was written 3 months ago. So we've obviously improved things since that time :)

My copy of the magazine just arrived... although I think I received an early copy but look for it soon on page 50!

Ken

Having driven Ken's car a bit, I can say this:

1. It pulls well from 1,500 rpm to 7,000 with a slight bump from 5,000 on up. I did a few full throttle accelerations in 3rd gear using the above rpm range and the engine felt strong. All the laps on the 1/2 mile oval in the video were run in 3rd gear from about 3,000 (didn't look at the tach coming out of the corners) to about 7,000.

2. It sounds great!

3. Lap times were in the 20 second range and we were no threat to ANYONE who's driven on an oval before. I think any accomplished oval track racer could have kept up with us using Art Singer's rental car.

4. Hoosier R3S04's appear to work pretty well on an asphalt 1/2 mile oval.

5. A symetric suspension setup doesn't.

6. I have a lot more respect for asphalt oval track racers. Concrete walls are intimidating as hell.

7. Art Singer can drive better then he let's on.

The things I've learned from this thread...

Scottie had a reputation? (J/K)

Ross finally has Rear control arms? (J/K)

John will be trying out for some ASA team in the not so distant future... (J/K Maybe not?)

Art can really drive? REALLY???

Jon M. Stepped in it unintentionally!

This was a great post... Now if I could ONLY VIEW THE FREAKIN' VIDEO from WORK!

Mike

Guest tony78_280z

Nice, Nice... Gotta love that wine.

I notice the hood was open a crack. Does the superchager take up more room than the stock hood will allow? Or was that for better air flow. Dont gimme no BS about you goin so fast the hood was being pushed up against it's spring either! =)

Played good speed on my computer. Not sped up or nuttin =)

Yes we ran the hood open a crack because I have a slight hood clearance problem (it is a custom hood). I'll be fixing that shortly.

You can see pics of the hood at http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/mm_memrides_view.php?car_id=11

It is truly a one of a kind that we fabbed up to clear the SC pulley although I have a mold and could make more...

The SC pulley does not clear the stock hood with my current manifold design... although it could be changed and made to clear.

Here are a couple of picks that I found showing simular setups. The white one is a car in NY, the other I do not know where it is from. Both from the look of them are wet supercharges, injection upstream of the supercharger.

zengineshotsized7pq.jpg

sc24bq.jpg

OK I went to the trouble of fixing your video so that it works correctly with Windows Media Player. On my machine the video was overclocked by 33%. When slowed down it LOOKS like a cool down lap, and you can hear a guy who is disappointed that John doesn't have his foot in it. He says something to the effect of "Aw, come on. Oh...."

I think the engine sounds better at the correct speed. This link might not work:

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=1549&sort=1&cat=509&page=1

EDIT--If you're anal and you know it download programs for 2 hours to fix someone elses video. [clap, clap] :wink: