Rotors: 1984 Z31 rear solid

Calipers: 1983 200SX

Bracket: 1983 Maxima

Master Cylinder

Nissan Hardbody Truck 1" diameter

Booster: 1983 280ZX

The Hulk

Front:

JSK Hats & Mounts, Custom made Wilwood S.S. Brake lines with fittings, Wilwood Superlite NDL Bullit Calipers, Wilwood 12.3inch vented rotors, Wilwood Racing Pads.

Rear:

Modern-Motorsports Caliper Mounts, Modern-Motorsports E-brake Bracket, Silvia S14 Rear Calipers, KVR Carbon Fiber Brake pads, Goodridge S.S. Brake lines, 300zx Z31 Rear rotors.

(going with the JSK/Wilwood Rear package soon, and putting this setup i have on the Blue Z)

280zx Master Cylinder

Ole Blue Z

Brakes.... what brakes?

just new nissan motorsports pads and shoes.. thats it.

mike

How'd you get that to fit in an early Z?

I'd be interested in hearing what everyone's opinions are on their current setup as well.

Front

Rotors: 73 Stock

Calipers: 73 Stock

Misc: Semi-metallic brake pads

Rear

Rotors: None

Calipers: None

Bracket: Stock Backing Plates, drums, organic shoes

Master Cylinder

Stock 7/8" bore

Booster: Stock

Brake feel is overall decent. Pedal is firm. Good modulation. Brakes tend to heat up quickly in autocross/mountain driving, but with fresh high temp fluid, fade hasn't ever been a huge issue. Stops from 100mph+ are pretty poor. Braking with R-compound rubber could be stronger overall, but I'm probably still not braking to the stock brakes full potential. The drums are a pain in the butt, requiring constant adjustment... and the bias changes with adjustment. That's the biggest reason I am upgrading.

Guest AlsoRanFPrepared

Front:

Wilwood 11.75" straight vane rotors

Wilwood Dynalite forged calipers 2 piston 1.75" bore

Hawk HP+ pads

Custom hats to fit 240Z hubs

Rear:

Custom 9" rear rotors on stub axle hats (inboard)

SRP (similar to dynalite single only forged) 1.38" pistons

Hawk HPS pads

Master Cyl:

Front Tilton 7/8"

Rear Tilton 13/16"

Wilwood pedals with adjuster bar.

Definitely not for street use...

zcarnut wrote:

How'd you get that to fit in an early Z?

It was easy! :)

Actually my 260Z shares the larger bolt pattern for the brake booster with the 280Z and the 280ZX. So the ZX booster just bolts in. Although you have to turn it upside down which does not affect its operation.

Sounds like a good convertion, less expensive. Problem is the custom spacer.....what is the size of that spacer...maybe I can have someone make it for me.

Last but not least.....were you able to retain your e-brake?

Thanks a lot.

John

OK. I’ll go first.

(Car is a 1974 260Z)

Front

Rotors: 1984 Z31 front vented

Calipers: 1990 Toyota 4x4

Misc: Using 240 hubs with custom spacer to mount rotor

Rear

Rotors: 1984 Z31 rear solid

Calipers: 1983 200SX

Bracket: 1983 Maxima

Master Cylinder

Nissan Hardbody Truck 1" diameter

Sounds like a good convertion, less expensive. Problem is the custom spacer.....what is the size of that spacer...maybe I can have someone make it for me.

Here’s the spacer I used. It features a lip that centers the rotor. This makes it more difficult to make but all the other spacers I have seen just use the mounting bolts for rotor centering which is not good engineering practice:

http://home.comcast.net/~zcarfan/Spacer.jpg

Last but not least.....were you able to retain your e-brake?

Yes. In fact that was the reason for using the 200SX calipers. The angle of the parking brake cable after attachment to the caliper is much better suited to the early Z cars than any other rear caliper, 280ZX and 240SX ones include. The 200SX brake pads are the same as used by the 280ZX rear caliper.

200SXcaliper.jpg

Just be sure to use only the 1982 or 1983 rear 200SX caliper. Other years will not work. This will mount to the later 1982-83 Maxima (the one everyone is looking for) rear brake caliper bracket.

• 5 weeks later...
Front:

5-lug hubs' date=' spacer plate, vented 300ZX rotors, RX-7 4-piston aluminum calipers.

Rear:

5-lug (re-drilled stubs), vented MX-6 (front) rotors, RX-7 1-piston aluminum calipers.

MC - any suggestions?[/quote']

Very interesting, never heard of anyone doing this yet, are these FC 4pots or FD 4pots? Did you make the brakets custom? Let me know

http://www.thelapd.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=thelapd&Category_Code=bpksgs

The rear brake kit in this link are the brakes I just installed on the rear of my vette. I'm going to run stock 13inch front and 12inch rotors and calipers on the Z... When we sort that out, Ill then be able to run the Baer brakes as well... In the pics you can see the Z06 brake ducts...Just got those off a recked Z06 as well and I hope to have those in as well.

Mike