HybridZ

Italian Fishyness?

johnc

This whole "hail of bullets" claim from Giuliana Sgrena is becoming a joke:

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2005/s1317277.htm

PIER SCOLARI (translated): I have heard it said that the Americans signalled many times to the car to stop, but Giuliana tol d me she didn't see anything. They were driving calmly. They had already passed many checkpoints, therefore everybody had been informed. They phoned and warned that they were going to the airport.

Suddenly as they were talking to each other without any signal a flashlight was switched on and three or four hundred bullets were shot towards the car. Giuliana told me she collected handfuls of bullets on the seats.

A .223 bullet fired at any vehcile is just going to go right through it and not plop onto the seat. And, for a vehicle supposedly shot at with 300 to 400 rounds, its looking awfully unscathed:

capt.rom17003082010.italy_sgrena_car_rom170.jpg

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/070580.php

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a .223 and a .300 Winmag - the Winmag is excellent for long distance - hitting things so they know they've been hit but the .223 can put 10 rounds virtually through the same hole at 100 yards.

Even taking into account the gung ho throw lots of lead approach they simply could not miss !!!!!

Guest Phil1934

From the italian news,"The body of the car appeared to have little or no damage on its left side and front, including the lights. A few bullet holes are visible on the right side _ near the wheel and the front door." So which side is in our press release? This argument seems a little like a lawyer defending an armed robber saying "As you can see my client's gun barrel is not 2" wide as the plaintiff claimed it appeared." While some may argue descriptions, facts are he's still dead.

While some may argue descriptions, facts are he's still dead.

I agree, its a shame because the guy was on our side. He was doing his job and protecting someone who is now using his death to further her agenda. Its not about the Italian agent who got killed anymore. Its about how his death can used to slam the US.

300 to 400 rounds? Handfuls of bullets sitting on the seats? Tanks firing at the car? US soldiers intentionally targetting Giuliana (and then missing) because she is an Italian leftist journalist?

Give me a break!

Guest tony78_280z
(and then missing) because she is an Italian leftist journalist?
Those leftist are hard to hit. =)

That second pic is fricken funny. People wonder how I can laugh so much reading a automotive based web site.

Guest Phil1934

I'm just getting tired of the lies the admisnistration spins to defend an indefensible policy. The first report I heard on the radio was Italian journalist freed and is now in hospital receiving treatment for a shoulder injury she received while in captivity." if they could have got everyone to keep quiet, it might have worked. Now they'll have to do like the prisoner abuse scandals and blame it on a private acting alone. And what is the end goal? If it's democracy, why was the initial attack called shock and awe? Why did Bush claim Mission Accomplished two years before there was an election? Yes. it's a shame 1500 soldiers died and 100,000 Iraqis. But as the other topic says, Maybe some good will come out of it. Hell. we don't even have a goal. If they end up with a government not of our choosing, will we say OK or meddle some more? We are now making demands of Syria, Iran, Irish Rep. Army, etc. Is this because the American people have swallowed this latest reason for war, or has Bush had an epiphany? And if he has, shouldn't Congress and the American people get the truth? Or has the truth become a commodity we can't afford in war time, like trying to justify torture?

You're not alone. But I do hope the typical Iraqi will eventually be happier now than he was prior to our invasion (or as was spun for the election, prior to 9/11). I wonder what will be of greater importance in their hearts when it's all over and done (if), Saddam's torture of family members, or the current killings of family members due directly to our invasion (no, we are not killing the Iraqi people, but our actions resulted in the current ongoing slaughter). I constantly ask myself though, if we were watching another country doing the same thing as we've done, what would our reaction be. I suspect we would be a bit skeptical, cynical, and a bit embarrassed for them. I don't see often where our casualties are linked together with their casualties in a single sentence, which is interesting. I too wonder about the total deaths caused simply by the "perception" that we "may" be attacked "sometime" in the future. Pardon me: it was their "desire" to build the weapons that "could" be applied to the previous sentence. Oops, it was to free the Iraqi people from the clutches of a murderous dictator. I knew I'd get it right sooner or later (donning fire suit)

Yeah, I get it now - those sleazy wops SHOT THEMSELVES, to score a public relations coup over the Americans. They fired 300-400 rounds, but missed all but one or two shots. Yup, that must be it. Those two-faced spineless Euro peaceniks always were up to no good.... Makes me so mad, I'm gonna go flush all my Chianti down the toilet.

The issue for me is more about the checkpoint system than the number of bullets fired. Same thing happened a few weeks ago, a BBC photographer was there to snap pics of 5 kids in the back seat and their dead parents up front. They also didn't hear the order to stop. Elsewhere, these pics were big news.

Could we enhance the "Miss the shout, proceed with lead bath" policy? Those illuminated stop signs work pretty well around here. If not, retractable road spikes come in portable versions too. Certainly troops on duty would be less stressed with a better system. It's unfortunate this hasn't been resolved.

Until our checkpoints are modernized, people vacationing in Iraq should be warned not to listen to rental car stereos too loudly.

Mike, thanks for the reality check.

I for one think they missed a good target in the back seat. To me, there's nothing worse than a person with a vendetta with a pen. One less bleeding heart liberal mouth peace spewing hate and lies. Too bad they missed her. Then she wouldn't have a chance to go spewing her lies about them trying to shoot her because of who she was. A dead lying leftist journalist is better than a live one. Read on...

I don't see anyone I care about getting upset over this. Most people see it as "stuff happens", even bad stuff that's unintentional. Too bad the intell guy got killed, seriously. Too bad she had to go on a rampage and say the soldiers know who she was and were trying to kill her. Like I said, the wrong person accidently got whacked and the wrong one accidently DIDN'T get whacked. I wouldn't have felt sorry to hear she died. People like her cause more sorrow, death and hate than a few soldiers ever could.

Just a sampling of her lies: http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/070680.php

Would everyone but the jihadists be better off if she WAS dead?

Too bad they didn't take her out...

JMO,

The Italian side of the story is starting to fall apart:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050311/ap_on_re_eu/italy_iraq_hostage

According to the newspapers, Marioli informed U.S. officials that Calipari and the other Italian officer were there, but not that the mission was aimed at releasing Sgrena.

The papers had conflicting versions over how much Marioli knew: Corriere said he knew the Calipari was working to have the hostage released, La Repubblica said he didn't.

And now Guiliana's story is changing:

In interviews published Friday, Sgrena said that no light was flashed at the vehicle and that the shots were not fired in front of the car.

"It's not true that they shot into the engine," she told Corriere della Sera, adding that the shooting came "from the right and from behind."

Then how did the bullet that killed Calipari pass through the windshield? Were the soldiers shooting at the car AFTER it passed through the checkpoint?

And now this meme is starting to circulate:

http://occhronicle.blogspot.com/2005/03/guiliana-sgrena-italys-tawana-brawley.html