HybridZ

AZ Brakes going on.

I finally got around to wrenching on the Z. Projects this winter include, new brakes all around, larger master cylinder, proportioning valve, replace my damaged differential, and convert to CV shafts while retaining the rear swaybar.

Here is a photo of the car on stands and the front brakes done.

8779P3170077.jpg

I am going to cut a hole in the floorpan and use Flintstone Brakes...lol. Nah the kit came with a line-lock for the rear. I am going to mount the Proportioning valve and the Line-Lock somewhere around the center console. I would like to get them mounted behind the center console armrest so they are accessible but somewhat out of the way. I have even thought about using the stock hand brake lever to actuate the line-lock for that stock look. I rarely park the Z anywhere anyhow. When I do, I'll use the line lock or just leave it in reverse. As for emergency brake......I guess not.

Aargh! Those stub axles are a PITA to pull out! Stub must be short for Stubborn.

I am using the pads that Dave at AZ recommended for street use. I definately want a good initial bite. 99% of my driving is street. I plan on running 1 or 2 time trials per year. If the pads overheat on the track, I'll switch to track pads for the day .

I will be using a 15/16" bore master cylinder from a ZX as recommended by Dave at AZ. The install so far has been completely bolt-on. The ZX master cylinder is also a direct bolt-on to replace the stock 280Z one. The only drilling I may have to do is to run the rear brake line through the passengers compartment for mounting the adjustable proportioning valve and the line-lock. The stock Z proportioning valve is to remain functionally in place as is. I always explore ALL possibilities before drilling into the chassis so if I find a way in and out, I wont even have to drill.

what master cylinder did you use? did you have to drill new holes in the firewall? was it an easy install? looks those brakes

I have the 15/16 ZX MC on my 71. I added it with the idea of upgrading to AZ Z brakes, but never managed to cough up the $$ for the actual brakes. It is a bolt in install on the 71 booster. You will need to adjust the length of the rod going into the back of the MC (This will be obvious since in my case the brakes didn't even begin to catch until the pedal was a inch off the floor). The ZX MC also has the front and rear reservoirs swapped compared to the original 71 layout. The brake lines can be rerouted. Just make sure the front brakes connect to the end of the MC with the larger reservoir. The AZ Z car web site use to have instuctions on line many years ago.

The larger MC works fine with the stock brakes. I have Toyota 4x4 calipers with vented rotors and 240sx rear brake set up that will go in this spring. The MC should be fine for that. I am still too cheap for the excellent AZ Z car brakes, and I really like the idea of retaining an emergency brake. I have actually used one in a past emergency.

I looked into the linelocks and my conclusion was that it is unacceptable as an emergency brake replacement. The guys at Wilwood said it is definitely a bad idea to use them for a parking brake because the calipers are not designed to be left on for hours at a time and they will eventually be damaged. It is obviously not going to help if you lose your brakes due to a failure in the hydraulic system. So I am still looking for a decent solution. I wanted to try the spot calipers but I think Mr. Paraska said those were pretty worthless.

Maybe a manual brake on the driveshaft?

I looked into the linelocks and my conclusion was that it is unacceptable as an emergency brake replacement. The guys at Wilwood said it is definitely a bad idea to use them for a parking brake because the calipers are not designed to be left on for hours at a time and they will eventually be damaged. It is obviously not going to help if you lose your brakes due to a failure in the hydraulic system. So I am still looking for a decent solution. I wanted to try the spot calipers but I think Mr. Paraska said those were pretty worthless.

Maybe a manual brake on the driveshaft?

Did the guy at Wilwood tell you what bad thing would happen to the caliper if it was used as a parking brake? Sounds like a pile of BS to me, I mean you don't need to stand on the brake to keep the car from rolling. If my new calipers are that friggin fragile maybe I'll get rid of em... :wink: Seems far more likely he was trying to sell you a mechanical spot caliper.

Did the guy at Wilwood tell you what bad thing would happen to the caliper if it was used as a parking brake? Sounds like a pile of BS to me, I mean you don't need to stand on the brake to keep the car from rolling. If my new calipers are that friggin fragile maybe I'll get rid of em... :wink: Seems far more likely he was trying to sell you a mechanical spot caliper.

Yes, the rubber piston seal will deform over time if hydraulic pressure is constantly applied. And actually he didn't have anything to sell me - I wish he did, but there is no bolt on spot caliper kit as far as I know. Pete made his brackets from scratch.

Tim's failure sounds like either the line lock or the operator. Evidently the caliper didn't puke a bunch of fluid or I expect we would have heard as much.

Forrest, I agree with you about the usability of the line lock as an emergency brake, but I'm still not buying this parking brake thing. Then again, mine is not a daily driver, so I might be more willing than most to take my chances...

It just means your piston seals will start leaking much sooner than they normally would, not that the brakes are going to suffer some catastrophic disaster.

When I read the fine print on the linelock retailer's sites, many of them said "not for use as a parking brake" or "use at your own risk." If you leave them on for several days, I've been told they will lose their pressure. I don't think they were designed to replace parking brakes, so yes, I'd definitely leave it in gear instead, if forced to choose.

I want the capability to lock the rear tires with a manual brake, though. So that is the solution I'm looking for.

I looked into the linelocks and my conclusion was that it is unacceptable as an emergency brake replacement.

The factory parking brake isn't an emergency brake. If you had a brake failure in traffic and relied on the stock P brake to save you I think you would fair better jumping out of the car.

I always park mine in gear, it's just easier. I did leave the line lock set for 8 hours to see if it would loose pressure. It held. I only use my lock in the summer when using the a/c to cool it down before getting in.