HybridZ

2JZ Z engine pics

Z-Gad

There is nothing like it when you hear the motor you worked so hard on fire up for the first time.

j.

You got that right Joel - Especially this time where we had to make a WAG on the startup EFI calibration - That monster started up on the second rev of the starter, and with a couple small tweeks to the raw fuel curve and it was free - revving well. Damn we good!

Positively evil sounds from the open downpipe resulted. Not a big reach to predict that Mike's gonna like this one.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest traub83

just currious what did you do or use to wire that motor up in your car?? car looks clean and mean, I wish i was there to see startup!!! Im a big fan of the 2jz..

Well, spent today going through 3-4 headlight switches before I found one which I was happy with. (read : got to work properly)

I now have taillights and dash lights. I will tackle the headlights and turn signals tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to knock out the brakes this weekend, so I'll be able to start tuning. I may be able to get it to the track Wednesday for the first shake down passes. I am an optomist you know :-)

just currious what did you do or use to wire that motor up in your car?? car looks clean and mean, I wish i was there to see startup!!! Im a big fan of the 2jz..

Motor is wired in with an Electromotive TEC II

Forrest - contact James Thagard http://www.speedshopthagard.com/ for intercooler specs.

Mobile huh? when is the event Gabe?

latest update...

Good news: The car moved under its own power today for the first time!! I was able to back it down the driveway, allow it to idle in the street as I topped off the tranny fluid on level ground and then pulled it back up into the garage, all under it's own power!! I felt proud.

Bad news: The turbo started dripping oil out the turbine housing. I am afraid that I will have to pull the turbo off tomorrow and have new oil seals put in. I am also having problems getting a brake pedal. I installed a rebuilt 15/16 brake master cylinder, but after 3 hours of bleeding brakes and fixing all leaks in the system, all signs point to it. I may try doing another round of bleeding before pulling it though. It is a real PIA as you all probably know. I HATE bleeding brakes. I think I would rather go to the dentist!!

There is still other piddling things to do. I still have to hook up brake lights and headlights, but all other lighting is working now. I want to bundle up the wiring and install the passenger's seat and some interior pieces as well. It is getting closer every day :-)

I bled the mc prior to the rest of the system, but I will willingly go back and try it again .. anything to not have to pull the MC off again. LOL!!

I pulled the turbo off tonight and it was leaking, no pouring out the rear oil seal. It is going to take a little while until the exhaust is clear of oil residue. The inside of the DP is coated. Well, one step forward, 2 steps back.:twak:

Thanks Austin,

My return is a braided -8 AN hose , so there is nowhere for it to kink. I had some smoke at startup, but convinced myself that it was the rings needing to seat after the motor sat for 2 years and only had around 500 miles since rebuild. The blown turbo seal explains a lot.

congrats mike!

sucks about the little bugs you have to work out but atleast now you got that beast running.

i probably cant supply you with any tech info that you dont already know or have but i'll offer ya a helping hand or foot with the brake bleeding!

just let me know,i would like to swing by and see the car anyhoo.

later

juan

Mike,

when we put together Carlos car we installed a new MC as well as many other brake components but we had a terrible time bleeding the brake system. It turn out that we had allowed the little plastic spacer (I think is called a reaction disc) inside the brake booster to fall off during the MC replacement and no matter how much we attempted to bleed the system it would not build pedal pressure. We ended up buying a new brake booster unit since the one in the car was from 1970 any way and it was 30+ years old. That replacement cured our bleeding and pedal pressure problem. We later found out from a tech session from Skip at the monthly club meeting the story behind that little disc. If you removed the MC to replace it with a new one I would bet that the little disc is not in its proper position.

My .02 cents.

The stock turbo in Carlos car was also leaking oil so a rebuild was done and we have been happy (oil free) since then.

Let me know what you find.

Ken

bad news gets worse...

The turbo I bought second hand (serves me right) is toast. The bearings themselves have the old blueish (got too hot) tint to them. It was leaking from both front and rear oil seals and here's the kicker... Turbonetic$ will not just sell the parts I need for the BB center section. You have to buy the whole assembly. I am making myself sick just thinking about it. Aargh!!