HybridZ

you know you own a hybrid Z when...

hat1324

I searched for one of these, couldnt find it but YOU try searching "you know you own"

ill start with a few of my own:

you have more then 50 posts on over 6 different Z only forums, but go to hybrid z before all else.

you pick the worst rust bucket in the world to invest in, but do because its cool.

you refer to your car as "the piece"

you refer to your car as "sex on wheels"

youve called the stock crossmember your "bench" as you work on the engine bay

you've cut more then 30lbs out of the car because of rust..

you are extatic when a pannel is rust free

you know witch paint removers work, and witch dont, and why you have to wear gloves.

you have no interior, just a bunch of AC boxs and the steering column as you work(more to this)

you then get discouraged, go get the stock seat, sit it on what remains of the floor board, rig it to settle and sit in the driver seat.. ocasionally shifting.

you look at other makes of cars, and the first thing on your mind is "i could fit that in my Z"

you've wanted to do the ford swap, but learn how dumb ford mounts are, and how much easyer the SBC is and go with it.

you call your car the "580 Z"

people ask you " is that thing stock?"

the minute you see anything Z related(like some wack *** b movie at 3AM that the guy drives a 280) you freak out and try and take pics

you follow Z's that sound beefy.

i think of more when I work on it.. like to see what others have.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good ones! I got a few...

People asking if it's a Porsche is almost a weekly event.

People say "Datsun? didn't they make little squareish ****box cars?"

You look at newer cars and think "Hey.. they STOLE that idea/layout/body line from the Z cars!"

You hesitate to add up all the bils/recipts for fear of knowing exactly how MUCH you have sunk into this 30 year old heap.. :lol:

Guest ON3GO
It's a hybrid when the most frustrating thing about buying parts is when the guy asks: "What kind of car is this for?"

ahaha i get that alot.

or when you call MSA and they ask you what year the Z, and your answer takes 15 min's.

"its a 77 but it has a 82 motor in it with a 83 head, with 86 300zx rear end, oh yeah 95 300zx seats...."

and the guy just goes... "oh.."

mike

ahaha i get that alot.

or when you call MSA and they ask you what year the Z' date=' and your answer takes 15 min's.

"its a 77 but it has a 82 motor in it with a 83 head, with 86 300zx rear end, oh yeah 95 300zx seats...."

and the guy just goes... "oh.."

mike[/quote']

I know what ya mean I have some many parts of my Z modded and I've become so accustomed to it that even when I get parts for my Prelude I start to think about what parts are stock or not. I then remember that it's all stock and it's the other car that has all the crazy stuff on it.

It's a hybrid when the most frustrating thing about buying parts is when the guy asks: "What kind of car is this for?"

Or you know your parts guy so well he says “Go in back, have a look and see what you can find that fits.â€

Or you know your car’s serial number, but can’t remember your own zip/postal code.

Everytime you post on a message board about your car it takes 50 lines of text to describe all the mods and which parts came from which car.

Your signature on here is 3 lines long and includes either a picture of your car or "Jackstand Racing".

When you post on other Z sites you get flamed for being dis-loyal to the marque.

Your friends look at you like your crazy when you tell them about your project, then the first thing out of their mouth is "Can I drive it?".

You do the "Happy Dance" when you find a part that's not rusty.

You mark the day on the calendar when it fired for the first time.

You know all the key phrases to find obscure parts on ebay.

Wheelman

You know you own a hybrid Z when -

- you wait a couple of extra seconds to start the car, just to make sure people walking behind you hear the V8 sound clearly.

- you're driving the Z looking at the vehicles around you, and in the back of your head you're thinking, "I can take that Mustang ... and I can take that Corvette ... oh, I can for sure take that Audi ... I can take that van ..."

- you look at an old car in the junkyard and think "Hey, that'd be cool with a smallblock in it ..."

- you don't pick your nose in traffic, because *for sure* everyone's looking at you 'cause you car's so cool...

- you just have to grin when the parts-store guy asks "what kind of car is it?"

- you feel a flash of fear when the parts-store guy asks "what kind of car is it?", because you forgot what year and model used that particular piece...

- you used to like the rain, but now it just means you have to be super-careful with the throttle...

- when you get pulled over by the police, and he says "That's a neat little sports-car, is it fast?" you have to decide real quick if he's a gearhead in a uniform, or he's trying to get you to incriminate yourself...

- when somebody on TV who has had a life-threatening experience says "I had a moment of clarity as my life flashed before my eyes", you realize you can have that experience any time you want just by stepping down on the throttle ...

- when a show on TV has a middle-aged guy buy a sports-car as a symptom of mid-life crisis, everyone in the room turns and looks at you and grins...

- you used to hate it when somebody at work asked, "My car's in the shop, can I get a ride home?", but now you just *love* it...

All your friends and family refer to the car by the name you gave it. (Mines Dauty)

When someone comes up to you in a parking lot and goes "Wow I had one of those back in '77 but it didn't sound like that!"

When people come up to you to race someone else to knock down their huge ego.

I've got a note pad in the glove box for what came off what car in parts.

or when u see a Mustang, or corvette, or any other sports car, you think "hey, i know of a guy who has that in there Z"

Or wht about when a honda pulls up and revvs the buzz-bomb up, then u just tap the gas, and he stops revving his engine.......good thing he didn't try and race me, cuz i wouldn't wanna b the one to say i lost to a honda with a fartcan.

BTW......81 ZX, with a 79 engine, and ignition for a 77 corvette.

Guest tony78_280z
Everytime you post on a message board about your car it takes 50 lines of text to describe all the mods and which parts came from which car.

Your signature on here is 3 lines long and includes either a picture of your car or "Jackstand Racing".

:redface:

When you tell someone that you have the power to weight ratio close to or better than a Viper and they just dont believe you....

Or when someone says how much did that cost to do and you just say "Id rather not talk about it!" LOL

Guy

haha, I've confused the crap out of parts-store monkeys numerous times, and all I have is a 240SX :D so much Nissan interchange parts it's ridiculous... "Alright, I need some Nissan parts..." "OK, what year" "um, ... I need an oil filter for a '92 Sentra SE-R 2-liter, spark plugs for the same but in a different heat range, brake pads for a '92 300ZX, a clutch master cylinder for a '92 240SX, a brake master cylinder for a '92 300ZX but a Nabco, not a Tokico" etc. Guy says "dang, that's quite a fleet" and I respond "it's all for the same car." Guy just goes like this: :icon52:

I got a few:

- You remember what R180s and R200s come in which cars with which final drive ratios, but you don't remember to balance your checkbook...

- You have a different-year block, head, transmission, and rear end than the year of the chassis... and they're all older than you :shock:

Am I getting the hang of this place yet? :D

werd, i havent looked into the rear stuff because I have a solid axel for it..

When people no longer let you work on their cars because you have a habit of leaving off parts they "don't need"

*When you work on your car and have parts and/or bolts left over you consider it "weight reduction" or "better engineering"