HybridZ

I need springs what can you reccomend for rate?

Watch eBay.... coil overs usually come up in pairs on a regular basis in 10, 12 and 14 inch with a wide range of spring weights. search these key words Qa1 (Carrera), Hal, Spax, Hypercoil, Hyperco, Afco, Howe, Ground Control, Eibach, "coil overs", coilover springs. and surf right on past the "buy it now" crap ! my last set was a pair of 225# new 10 inch Hypercoils at less than 30.00 total. I want about 3 pairs so I can do some swapping...150-180-225

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure the springs you buy are really what they say they are. Hypercoils have the actual, tested spring rate engraved into the flattened part of the spring at the top. I've seen cheap 2.5" OD springs powder coated blue sold as Hypercoils.

I was just looking through a 260 shop manual I've had laying around:

Front springs, 106 lb/in, free length 14.9 in, installed 8.7 in @ 661 lbs.

Rear springs, 106 lb/in, free length 15.4 in, installed 8.7 in @ 706 lbs.

I assume the 240s were similar?

• 3 weeks later...

Ground Control says 8 inch springs that JohnC reccomended 200 225 F/R will coil bind. They are recommending ~275/300...Whaddaya think?

I am running 17 x 9 on stock fenders. Do I need 8 or 10 inch springs? What is the dif?

If you need to run the spring higher to make some tire clearance, then you'll need to run the 8" springs. If you don't need the room, then run the 10" springs and the spring rates you were planning. You'll need Konis to control a spring above ~250 in/lb.

Amazing...

Ahh.. let me clarify.

You recommended that 200/225 was a good starting point for me. So when I tried to buy this spring rate CG said I may experience coil bind and recommended a much stiffer spring.

I just need to get some opinions from people if this has been an issue with GC, because I do not to go higher than necessary on spring rate.

This issue came up a year or more ago in response to someone who had gotten a coilover setup from MM and found out the same thing. If you look at the 8" total length of the spring and the full compressed length of the spring, there just wasn't enough room to compress the strut all the way and the coils do bind before the strut bottoms. Because the stiffer springs (I want to say it was 275 or more) have less winds per inch it can compress all the way. It's just a function of how springs are made, there isn't a way to get around it that I'm aware of. If you use a 10 inch spring, there is more space for the spring to compress before the coils bind, and then you don't have this issue.

Guest DISCUS

Just thought I would chip in my two cents.. My car is a bit lighter, approx 2400 lbs. Distribution is 49% F 51% rear. I am using Hypercoil 10" 175 Front and 225 rear. With Illuminas. Primary use is Highway and Street, Auto X four or five times a year. The Illuminas and lighter springs give me awesome highway ride and great every day use! Setting stiffer gives me a blast at the autocross. Forgot to mention 1" sway bar up front, 3/4 rear and strut tower braces front and rear. I am very pleased with overall package! Engine (LT1)last dyno at 350 rw hp and 370 ft lb torque!

The widest part of the coilover is the threaded adjuster. So you'll lose the width of the adjuster by going with the 8" spring. Did you say you had GC coilovers? They used to use a flat washer as the perch and it stuck out just about as far as the adjuster did. I think later on they ground one side of the perch flat so that it didn't protrude out towards the tire.

• 2 weeks later...
Ground Control says 8 inch springs that JohnC reccomended 200 225 F/R will coil bind. .......Whaddaya think?

I am running 17 x 9 on stock fenders. Do I need 8 or 10 inch springs? What is the dif?

Ground Control and John can both be right, depends on many factors which is why coilovers can be hit and miss when you brew your own because all items aren't considered. Ground Control uses Eibach springs which last I checked, do not have the the same available compression to coilbind that hyperco springs have, amongst other differences. GC will also be more concerned about coilbind or even APPROACHING coilbind as Eibach springs are not designed to EVER see coilbind, they are not fully elastic at full compression and will change in property thereafter!

Hyperco springs are the only ones I use and are superior in 3 aspects:

-metallurgy

-design

-treatment

They're designed to go PAST coilbind meaning if you fully compress or even come close to this they still retain full normal elastic (original as purchased) properties. teir narrower diameter wire allows more travel to coilbind as well. They're actually even used in common fully compressed states in top level competition off road racers/military HMV's etc. Stacked with 2-3 springs in one column to allow full droop and rise more so than entire length of our Z strut assemblies!

Comments on clearance somewhat correct, if spring sites fully above your tire (ie. an 8") AND you situate the threaded tube perch appropriately (hence our 8" tube option!) you'll only have the width of the tube section between your tire and strut tube (less than 3/16"). I've played with tire clearances and once slightly rubbed some anodizing off one of my sleeves:)

Correct also that GC uses oversized washers as lower mounts, I used their's years back initially and had to grind mine down to improve clearance.

In our own kits we supply custom made narrow profile lower weld on supports that fit your tubes easily for simple welding and maximum clearance. These parts are what contribute to our slightly higher price vs. others but the package is more than justified.

Cyrus, our coilover customers answer many questions prior to our making a recommendation. Directly email us if interested and we'll tailor your setup to meet your expectations. If this is the same Cyrus I'm thinking of, your Xtreme brakes and Billet drivetrain goodies are shipping early this week:)

• 1 month later...

I thought theese Z cars had a much different weight ration so I am confused when I see you guys use stiffer springs in the rear.

I am currently trying to fit a R25DET in my 260z and the choice for coilover springs is killing me.

My idea was 8 inch 2.5 ID and 300 lbs springs. I live in Norway and our roads here are rather bumpy some places, so with 17" wheels I dont want them to bump into the fenders.

Any have something like this setup ?

Weight distribution on 240Zs starts at a stock 51F 49R. The additional weight of an RB and the associated turbo plumbing will probably bring it to 52F 48R is things are done right.

300lb. in. springs are pretty stiff for your 260Z and may result in stress cracks in the chassis if you haven't added some additional stiffening. On my road race only 240Z I ran around 300 lb. in. springs and would not recommend that spring rate for any street driven Z.

as far as adjusting ride height, would the 8inch springs allow more drop?

If lets say I set teh car for a really low drop, could the koni's handle such a more stressful ride esp if the spring rate is really stiff, say 300 and above? Car would be set towards drift/track, so messing up the susp geometry towards grip wouldnt really mater.

Just trying to learn more about the z, this coming from a 240sx owner who runs on full coilovers which are mostly alot stiffer then the usual spring/shock combos. and usually the front spring rate will be stiffer then the front on these cars.

Hypertek, 8's don't allow more drop...drop is controlled by adjustment height on your collar, available strut piston travel and appropriate related geometry assuming tire/wheel clearance remains appropriate. 8's can allow more tire/room clearance vs. 10's and when 8's are used it's typically at higher spring rates such that coilbind is not a concern.

........I am currently trying to fit a R25DET in my 260z and the choice for coilover springs is killing me....

.... our roads here are rather bumpy some places....I dont want them to bump into the fenders.

Any have something like this setup ?

No need to die such a needless death turbo_fb! We've got several customers with your setup and many others with built turbo L6's not so different' date=' and we've shipped to Norway/Denmark etc. Spring choice takes into consideration many factors we discuss with each customer. Please drop us a line

sales@modernmotorsports.com

and we can engage in easily narrowing your choice. 300 lb/in would greatly stiffen your car but it would skate with little control on any bumpy/washboard like pavement at lower speeds which is NOT desireable just for starters for your expectations. Let alone typical street inserts will not typically coexist compatibly longterm with such a high rate on a Z car.

Cheers,

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I figured I would add my $.02. I am using the GC setup, Tokico Blues, 150lb front, 175lb rear, 1in f bar, 3/4 in r bar, PDK strut bars front and rear. My chassis has been stiffened even further with new floor pans and Bad Dog Floor rails. The ride is quite stiffer than stock, but still compliant enough to keep my fillings in, and it is an all around fun car at an Auto-x or the track. I could care less bout being first anymore...if it bothers me bad enough, I just ask the fastest competitor to lend me his/her car for a fun run, and beat their fastest time...:lol: