HybridZ

Is this a good BOV?

Guest bastaad525

the really good aftermarket BOV that people seem to universally love is the Greddy Type S. It's adjustable and I believe has a setup for push/pull type actuation as well. It's the small one with the purple cap... VERY nice looking.

Or you could cheap out and get the 1st gen eclipse BOV which works GREAT and should run you $25-75.

lol at description "but new bov makes my car backfire..."

last i checked backfires were due to unburnt fuel' date=' not surge and excess air[/quote']He's probably getting backfiring into the intake because the valve is causing a vacuum leak and he's running too lean.

I have seen a number of BOV's and there are a few out there that vent to atomsphere. I dont think that is a good way to do it myself. You get problems like backfiring and problems associated with incorrect fuel mixtures.

The way that has always worked very well for me is recirculated. I have never had any of those problems with that configuration.

True you dont get that cool pisst sound, but what are you going for, bling bling, or function?

I have seen a number of BOV's and there are a few out there that vent to atomsphere. I dont think that is a good way to do it myself. You get problems like backfiring and problems associated with incorrect fuel mixtures.

The way that has always worked very well for me is recirculated. I have never had any of those problems with that configuration.

True you dont get that cool pisst sound' date=' but what are you going for, bling bling, or function?[/quote']Ooooooh, I'll answer that...

Bling-Bling! Oh, was that a rhetorical question?

Well I'm planning to run megasquirt so I don't THINK I need to vent back and I like the sound. I've heard people say that about every aftermarket bov leaks (except HKS, don't want to spend that much) so which is really the best. I would like it kinda loud, but also reliable. Would this be Greddy S, Blitz DD, TurboXS H, others?

I use the HKS SSQV and have experienced no leaks. There is a recirculation kit available from HKS.

The only downside to this unit is that it requires an expensive ($40.00) mounting flange unique to the SSQV.

Guest ON3GO

greddy type s ='s the suck. leaks like made under boost where others are fine at.

the blitz dual drive is pretty good, sounds nice too. holds boost fine at 20psi on my friends 1jz sc300.

blitz makes some nice products, my fav!

mike

the blitz diaphragm unit is junk. i have a type-s ("type-sneeze") and it holds 14psi fine, 2 years and counting. can recirc it with no extra adapters. the HKS is the best style (leak-proof), but it's kinda pricey and it sounds like a sick turkey.

The best that I have heard is HKS SSQV blow off valves and they can be had on ebay for about 1-150 all the time.

you won't find a genuine HKS that cheap... there are a few smucks selling "JDM" HKS parts that are simply china junk passed off as genuine name brand stuff.

The bottom line as allways is, you get what you pay for....

Guest ON3GO

turbonetics godzilla bov is what you RB Z guys should use.

holds like a mofo!

thats what ill be using on my RB26DET motor.

mike

• 2 weeks later...
What about the stock 1G DSM BOV, how do they compare to the aftermarket. When your running a better fuel system do you still really need to vent it back?

It depends on the BOV and the fuel system. Non-recirculating BOV's are designed (or are adjustable) so that they only open when the manifold vacuum is greater than idle vacuum. That way, they won't suck in (or possilbly blow out) unmetered air under normal operating conditions. Other BOV's open at manifold vaccums less than idle. In fact, some open at as little as 5in of vacuum. I have a DSM BOV, and it cracks open around 15in of vacuum. On a stock ZXT, this would be a problem if the BOV was not plumbed back into the intake after the air flow meter, because the air flow meter wouldn't see the air introduced by the BOV. Most aftermarket fuel systems (and many factory systems) use a manifold air pressure sensor and they don't really care about anything that happens before the throttle body. So you could use a BOV that opens at less than idle vacuum. However, this would introduce an unfiltered air source.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

What do you guys think about APEXi Twin Chamber BOV? that's what I have on my 240z turbo. I know it sounds really loud and doesn't have that high pitch sound like those HKS BOV's ( dont like that sound ). I know its a little bulky but I am happy with it. Any bad expiriences....

• 2 weeks later...